PDA

View Full Version : Wired SB3 no longer offered?

jmpage2
2007-01-24, 11:09
I was just going to order a new SB3 for my family room and noticed that the wired version is no longer offered?

I have wired cat5 to every room in my house on a switched network, and I really, really don't want to have to spend an extra $50 on something I will never use (that's beer and nachos money).

Slim, won't you guys reconsider offering wired versions? I know it's probably more cost effective to offer a single version but you are pricing the SB3 up and out of the range of people who don't need the wireless unit.

widman
2007-01-24, 11:12
Agreed. I recently bought a wired model and was hoping to get a second wired Squeezebox this year.

pete

Skunk
2007-01-24, 11:16
I would like to add: Please?

loran
2007-01-24, 12:53
All the squeezeboxes still have the option for ethernet via rj45. What has changed is that a wired only version is not available. That causes those of us that hardwire everything have to pay the extra $50 for the wireless function that we will not use. On the other hand, the function is there if we ever want to use it.

jmpage2
2007-01-24, 16:49
Well, maybe when we see whatever fruit the Logitech acquisition produces we will have an idea of what the future is for lower price point products.

SteveEast
2007-01-24, 17:28
If you really want a wired only version you could always try eBay.

Steve.

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-24, 18:01
If you really want a wired only version you could always try eBay.

When these were still being produced, their price was fairly low as the wireless ones were more desireable for resale.

However now that it's discontinued, this may change...

P.S. I see a SliMP3 on there right now! Would be cool to have one just for historical value.

jmpage2
2007-01-24, 18:06
I'd much rather get one from Slim Devices as it has a warranty and I also feel that it's supporting the company more to buy first hand.

That, and I want the sexy new black one.

mlsstl
2007-01-24, 21:09
While this is no consolation, I'd wonder if the demise of the wired only version is simple business math. It could be that the relative sales volume of the wired only unit was low enough that they could no longer justify the extra cost of maintaining separate production and distribution. While $50 is still $50, that is a comparatively small margin compared to many items that get dropped from product lines.

Jez
2007-01-24, 23:12
Unfortunately the wired only product is no more. To put it another way, it's not merely resting or even pining for the fjords - it is in fact dead, pushing up daisies, gone to join the choir invisible etc, etc.

As someone surmised earlier, it's just got to the point where it's not economic to produce separate models that represent such a small portion of our overall sales. We really like to please customers wherever possible, but as our sales grow we have to similarly scale our manufacturing and that means a little less flexibility to build 'short runs' of the wired product. We realize this will disappoint some of you and lose us a few sales, but hopefully you'll understand us focussing on growing our overall business.

peter
2007-01-25, 01:21
Jez wrote:
> Unfortunately the wired only product is no more. To put it another way,
> it's not merely resting or even pining for the fjords - it is in fact
> dead, pushing up daisies, gone to join the choir invisible etc, etc.
>
> As someone surmised earlier, it's just got to the point where it's not
> economic to produce separate models that represent such a small portion
> of our overall sales. We really like to please customers wherever
> possible, but as our sales grow we have to similarly scale our
> manufacturing and that means a little less flexibility to build 'short
> runs' of the wired product. We realize this will disappoint some of you
> and lose us a few sales, but hopefully you'll understand us focussing on
> growing our overall business.
>

I understand. On the customer side I presume many people who could've
done with a wired model (like me) have spent the extra $50 just in case
they'd ever want to go wireless. OTOH it would've been wonderful if SD
had taken the opportunity to drop the price of the wireless model at the
same time when phasing out the wired model. That way you could've
brought it as wonderful news instead of doing it it silently. ;)

Regards,
Peter

wolfzell
2007-01-25, 07:43
The $50 difference in the price is not the worst thing at all I gues, but...

From my point I was *very* happy to get one of the last wired-only models.

Unlike many other people today I am actually not too concerned about electric smog, but the idea of having a wireless LAN device right beneath the pillow of my bed is just feeling strange even to me.

So if you need to consolidate your model range, it might be a good idea to make very sure that the Squeezeboxes deactivates the wireless part of the electronic completely when used wired, so people actually concerned about electric smog can feel safe when using the Squeezebox in their homes.

bye
Wolfgang

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-25, 08:25
So if you need to consolidate your model range, it might be a good idea to make very sure that the Squeezeboxes deactivates the wireless part of the electronic completely when used wired, so people actually concerned about electric smog can feel safe when using the Squeezebox in their homes.

It does.

However you can also get into the case and unplug the wireless module if you wish. SD has been OK with this in the past, but now that they are a part of Logitech this may affect your warranty. It will ensure you have no wireless module activated and the SB should still work - wired only, of course.

pfarrell
2007-01-25, 08:32
Jez wrote:
> As someone surmised earlier, it's just got to the point where it's not
> economic to produce separate models that represent such a small portion
> of our overall sales.

Just the cost of keeping two SKUs, handling separate orders, etc,
probably eats the difference in price.

Of course, the fans will forgive you when you drop the price of
the wireless model to reflect the savings.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

wolfzell
2007-01-25, 10:01
However you can also get into the case and unplug the wireless module if you wish.

Good to know this, thanks for the info.

bye
Wolfgang

upstatemike
2007-01-25, 21:25
While this is no consolation, I'd wonder if the demise of the wired only version is simple business math. It could be that the relative sales volume of the wired only unit was low enough that they could no longer justify the extra cost of maintaining separate production and distribution. While $50 is still $50, that is a comparatively small margin compared to many items that get dropped from product lines.

$50 makes a big difference when you buy several for whole-house audio. Maybe you can get some of the difference back with a volume discount but most folks who have a lot of players did not buy them all at once.