PDA

View Full Version : Another LAME question

thesil
2007-01-24, 10:42
Well I finally downloaded LAME, and I have two questions. First, What quality level should I choose, and what bitrate level. Thanks everyone for all your help, I am a little new at this

snarlydwarf
2007-01-24, 10:58
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME is a reasonable start. (Though they should have boldfaced that "archiving" with mp3 is silly.)

-V0 --vbr-new is probably what you want. You may be able to survive with -V1 or -V2 as well, depending on your hearing, but the disk space isnt that important even on a portable.

JJZolx
2007-01-24, 11:00
Well I finally downloaded LAME, and I have two questions. First, What quality level should I choose, and what bitrate level. Thanks everyone for all your help, I am a little new at this

Quality level - I'd definitely increase it from the default 9, but it will increase the load on your server. Depends on how busy the server is and whether or not it's performing other tasks. Move it the whole way to 0 and see if the server falters at all. Back it off if the CPU load seems too high.

How will you be using the transcoded MP3 stream? Will you be streaming outside of your home network? If so, keep it low enough that it can be accomodated by your outgoing bandwidth. At home I have 768kbps outgoing on a cable connection, but I have a tough time seemlessly streaming to work at anything above 160kbps. If we're talking about on the home network, I'm not sure why you'd transcode to MP3 at all.

thesil
2007-01-24, 11:06
I am sorry, but I don't understand, please bear with me. I have already downloaded Lame, you gave me another website for downloading. I just need to know what bitrate level anf what quality level to set my player at. Thanks in advance

snarlydwarf
2007-01-24, 11:10
I am sorry, but I don't understand, please bear with me. I have already downloaded Lame, you gave me another website for downloading. I just need to know what bitrate level anf what quality level to set my player at. Thanks in advance

That isnt a site for downloading LAME, it is a site explaining the settings. I assumed that you were talking about using LAME to encode ripped files, not transcode for playback.

Answering the transcoding question is more complex as JJZolx pointed out.

I transcode to 64k to work, but then it isnt like my work environment is a good listening place and I don't want to waste bandwidth on quality I can't hear.

I left quality at 9 because, again, it isnt like this is the greatest listening environment.

What are you trying to solve with transcoding?

JJZolx
2007-01-24, 11:11
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME is a reasonable start. (Though they should have boldfaced that "archiving" with mp3 is silly.)

-V0 --vbr-new is probably what you want. You may be able to survive with -V1 or -V2 as well, depending on your hearing, but the disk space isnt that important even on a portable.

He's talking about the two settings available in SlimServer's player settings > audio. SlimServer uses ABR, so the -V settings don't apply.

snarlydwarf
2007-01-24, 11:24
He's talking about the two settings available in SlimServer's player settings > audio. SlimServer uses ABR, so the -V settings don't apply.

Yeah, I see that ... sort of..

But he originally wrote in http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32010 that he didnt know if he needed LAME or not...

And he hasn't answered why he thinks he needs it.

If you don't transcode to mp3, you don't need LAME. In fact, if you don't bandwidth limit, you don't need it.

thesil
2007-01-24, 12:10
Hi guys, I will only be streaming at home. The only reason I got involved with LAME is that I noticed in my settings that it was not there. So, first I had trouble downloading, then when I did I was not sure what settings to use. I am not much of a "tekkie", so I don't know too much about encoding and why I need it.

snarlydwarf
2007-01-24, 12:16
You only need it if you transcode to mp3. This is useful for things like listening to music at work (which will take other setup as well and may or may not be doable depending on firewalls at work...) where you really don't want to be streaming 800kbps FLACs and using a lot of bandwidth for radio-type listening.

If you are just listening to music at home, you don't need it, nor do you want to limit bandwidth. There is no reason to degrade your sound at home.

JJZolx
2007-01-24, 12:18
Hi guys, I will only be streaming at home. The only reason I got involved with LAME is that I noticed in my settings that it was not there. So, first I had trouble downloading, then when I did I was not sure what settings to use. I am not much of a "tekkie", so I don't know too much about encoding and why I need it.

You can install LAME if you like, but you'll probably never use it unless you stream to a remote network.

For Squeezeboxes on your home network, leave the 'Bitrate Limiting' setting at 'No Limit'. This will give you the highest possible quality, whatever the original file format of the music. The other setting then doesn't matter, since it's only used when transcoding with LAME.

thesil
2007-01-24, 12:34
Great! thanks, Jim

peter
2007-01-25, 05:27
thesil wrote:
> Well I finally downloaded LAME, and I have two questions. First, What
> quality level should I choose, and what bitrate level. Thanks everyone
> for all your help, I am a little new at this
>

There are no LAME questions, only LAME answers...

Regards,
Peter

MrSinatra
2007-01-29, 00:40

here's a site i use to get lame binaries:

http://mitiok.cjb.net/

and another:

http://lame.bakerweb.biz/

although that one isn't the latest i guess. there may be better sites too.

once you have the lame codec downloaded, the question i have for you is what do you need it for exactly?

do you need it to rip CDs? if so, i use it with EAC (the cd ripper) and while a bit complex to setup, its worth it.

i rip at 256kbps and unless you have great ears and a great stereo, meaning amazing, you won't notice a difference.

i also have a pretty fast system, so i set the quality level as 1. 0 is best and very, very slow, 10 is fastest. i say set it as close to 0 as you can stand. the command is: -q 1

i also use joint stereo.

if however, you want to install lame to SS, so it can serve out your stream to anyone outside your house, i would recommend just giving a 128 bitrate limit, if you have a cable connection.

what i don't know much about, and maybe someone here does, is if lame writes replaygain tags by default.

i assumed it did, but i don't see any replaygain tags in mp3tag at all in my mp3s.

its pretty much the last major issue i need to figure out regarding my mp3s, and if i was starting new, i'd like to know for sure how to get good replaygain tags written into my mp3s.

thesil
2007-01-29, 08:04
Thanks, I have the situation under control. I only questioned it because I noticed that LAME was not installed and thought that it could be an integral part of the system