PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Jazz Anyone?

peejay
2007-01-24, 03:14
Well, this genre either has people screaming 'Elevator Music', or when the mood is right, or even when it isn't, has them sliding into a zone which takes a lot to be released from - and that's a good thing, by the way - not like CPR...
So, from my first Kenny G album, I knew I was hooked. Tracks like 'Esther' blew me away. David Sanborn followed, and close behind him George Howard, and Kirk Whalum.
Mainly dominated by saxophonists, I think this genre is much maligned, because it is generally well produced when cut to disc, and seems to encourage immense collaboration on individual productions across the spectrum of artists.
Agree/Disagree? Who's your favourite? Do you care?

tomsi42
2007-01-24, 05:21
Well, this genre either has people screaming 'Elevator Music', or when the mood is right, or even when it isn't, has them sliding into a zone which takes a lot to be released from - and that's a good thing, by the way - not like CPR...
So, from my first Kenny G album, I knew I was hooked. Tracks like 'Esther' blew me away. David Sanborn followed, and close behind him George Howard, and Kirk Whalum.
Mainly dominated by saxophonists, I think this genre is much maligned, because it is generally well produced when cut to disc, and seems to encourage immense collaboration on individual productions across the spectrum of artists.
Agree/Disagree? Who's your favourite? Do you care?

I am not into the saxophone smooth jazz thing; for me smooth jazz is female singers like Diane Krall, Silje Nergaard, Lizz Wright.

Not that I have anything against the sax - I love it when it is used in blues and rock. And there is a Kenny G album (Collection) on my slimserver...

From Europe there are two sax players that I guess could be called smooth: Candy Dulfer and Bodil Niska.

Tom

jjazz
2007-01-24, 07:52
I almost listen to jazz exclusively. A large part of the jazz community doesn't see smooth jazz as 'real' jazz. Sadly this is primarily because of what many labels force quality musicians into and what most local jazz stations play. There are many great smooth jazz albums that don't fit the mold of the stereotypical smooth jazz sound. I have personally talked with Kirk Whalum and others about this on a few occassions and they feel like a lot of people would listen to more jazz if they knew more about it and took a real interest in jazz as a whole. Again, people generally only know or associate jazz by what they hear on the radio or in elevators. Jazz is much more than this. I would suggest expanding your collection and exploring the genre in more depth and find out the many sides of the Jazz world. Jazz is America's art form.

Here are a few suggestions (other sax players) that you may like based on the others you mentioned:
Grover Washington Jr., Gerald Albright, Everette Harp, Michael Lington

Some other sax players:
Michael Brecker (Fusion/Modern Jazz) I think "Tales from the Hudson" is a great starting point for his music and one of my favorites (Sadly he just passed away about a week ago)
John Coltrane (Cool Jazz/Post Be-Bop) I would suggest Miles Davis "Kind of Blue". This features Coltrane and is a staple in any jazz listeners collection. There are tons of Coltrane albums and many will argue which ones are best, but here are few of the more popular ones: Giant Steps, Blue Train, Crescent, My Favorite Things
Kenny Garrett (Modern Post Bop) Not to be confused with Kenny G, Try "Happy People". Features Marcus Miller on bass.

You can listen to clips on Amazon. I could go on and on about this, but I'll spare everyone ;) Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

peejay
2007-01-24, 16:31
I almost listen to jazz exclusively. A large part of the jazz community doesn't see smooth jazz as 'real' jazz. Sadly this is primarily because of what many labels force quality musicians into and what most local jazz stations play. There are many great smooth jazz albums that don't fit the mold of the stereotypical smooth jazz sound. I have personally talked with Kirk Whalum and others about this on a few occassions and they feel like a lot of people would listen to more jazz if they knew more about it and took a real interest in jazz as a whole. Again, people generally only know or associate jazz by what they hear on the radio or in elevators. Jazz is much more than this. I would suggest expanding your collection and exploring the genre in more depth and find out the many sides of the Jazz world. Jazz is America's art form.

Here are a few suggestions (other sax players) that you may like based on the others you mentioned:
Grover Washington Jr., Gerald Albright, Everette Harp, Michael Lington

Some other sax players:
Michael Brecker (Fusion/Modern Jazz) I think "Tales from the Hudson" is a great starting point for his music and one of my favorites (Sadly he just passed away about a week ago)
John Coltrane (Cool Jazz/Post Be-Bop) I would suggest Miles Davis "Kind of Blue". This features Coltrane and is a staple in any jazz listeners collection. There are tons of Coltrane albums and many will argue which ones are best, but here are few of the more popular ones: Giant Steps, Blue Train, Crescent, My Favorite Things
Kenny Garrett (Modern Post Bop) Not to be confused with Kenny G, Try "Happy People". Features Marcus Miller on bass.

You can listen to clips on Amazon. I could go on and on about this, but I'll spare everyone ;) Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Thanks jjazz, wow, how do you get to talk with Kirk Whalum on a regular basis? I have a couple of his albums - masterful stuff. I did forget to mention others like Richard Elliot, Vince Guaraldi Trio, Vince Jones, Chris Standring, George Benson (more pop in his later stuff?) and Grover Washiington Jr, all who get played regularly from my collection as well. Thanks for your recommendations, I'll check out a few of those names. Cheers

JJZolx
2007-01-24, 18:51
Yes, smooth jazz is much maligned. But for good reason, IMO.

One player in that genre that I actually enjoy is Ken Navarro. His playing and tone have enough of an edge to make the music enjoyable, even though the material is often pretty forgetable.

http://kennavarro.com

Mike Anderson
2007-01-24, 21:09
I hear it goes great with mayonnaise. :^)

stinkingpig
2007-01-24, 22:55
Vince Guaraldi, Stan Getz, and Miles Davis are about it for
instrumental jazz here. I do really like classic vocal jazz, I'm
listening to Louis Armstrong right now. Ella Fitzgerald and Billie
Holiday are favorites as well.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

smc2911
2007-01-25, 01:49
There are tons of Coltrane albums and many will argue which ones are best, but here are few of the more popular ones: Giant Steps, Blue Train, Crescent, My Favorite Things
I'd add A Love Supreme.

jjazz
2007-01-25, 05:51
I'd add A Love Supreme.

One of my favorite albums. The only reason I didn't list that is because many people who are new to jazz and/or Trane find it to be a bit abstract.

jjazz
2007-01-25, 06:15
Thanks jjazz, wow, how do you get to talk with Kirk Whalum on a regular basis? I have a couple of his albums - masterful stuff. I did forget to mention others like Richard Elliot, Vince Guaraldi Trio, Vince Jones, Chris Standring, George Benson (more pop in his later stuff?) and Grover Washiington Jr, all who get played regularly from my collection as well. Thanks for your recommendations, I'll check out a few of those names. Cheers

Kirk comes around the area I live quite often so I've been to many shows and we've chatted several times afterwards and through the web. A lot of artists are very in touch with their fans through their personal sites and, more recently, myspace. Most are very responsive.

I really like Vince Guaraldi. I think anyone who grew up watching Charlie Brown has an inherent appreciation for him and his music. Cyrus Chestnut has a great version of 'A Charlie Brown Christmas'. A must have for those with a Christmas collection. The best piano player I've ever seen is Michel Camilo. Check out 'Live at the Blue Note' Wow! The only U.S. venue I know he frequents is the Blue Note in NY. I would highly recommend seeing him. Actually, I would recommend seeing anyone one that you like at a live venue. 99% of this time it tops any CD that you have. You never know if you'll get another chance. I met Grover Washington, Jr. for the first time 2 months before he died. What a great guy.

George Benson is a great guitar player. I tend to appreciate his earlier albums better. I've seen him like once and it's really amazing how he sings and plays the same melodies. As a seasoned musician I can tell you that it is very difficult to do that.

This is a great thread, I love jazz.

totoro
2007-01-25, 09:27
I listen to a lot of jazz, but no smooth jazz. Here are a few suggestions for relatively easy to listen to non-smooth jazz

Sax:
living players
Greg Osby
Steve Lehman
Chris Potter
David Murray

recent cds I've really liked that are easy to listen to(last few years)
Paul Motian: Garden of Eden
Gianluigi Trovesi: Fugace
Sex Mob: Dime Grind Palace
Tom Cohen: Guitar Trio Project
Kurt Rosenwinkel: Deep Song
Kenny Garret: Equinox
Rabih Abou-Khalil: Journey to the Center of an Egg
Skerik's Syncopated Taint Septet: Husky
Tomasz Stanko: Matka Joanna
Steve Bernstein: Diaspora Soul

I think all of these are available on amazon, so you can hear samples. Lots more, of course, and this completely ignores all the classics. Hope you find it useful.

peejay
2007-01-26, 05:33
Kirk comes around the area I live quite often so I've been to many shows and we've chatted several times afterwards and through the web. A lot of artists are very in touch with their fans through their personal sites and, more recently, myspace. Most are very responsive.

I really like Vince Guaraldi. I think anyone who grew up watching Charlie Brown has an inherent appreciation for him and his music. Cyrus Chestnut has a great version of 'A Charlie Brown Christmas'. A must have for those with a Christmas collection. The best piano player I've ever seen is Michel Camilo. Check out 'Live at the Blue Note' Wow! The only U.S. venue I know he frequents is the Blue Note in NY. I would highly recommend seeing him. Actually, I would recommend seeing anyone one that you like at a live venue. 99% of this time it tops any CD that you have. You never know if you'll get another chance. I met Grover Washington, Jr. for the first time 2 months before he died. What a great guy.

George Benson is a great guitar player. I tend to appreciate his earlier albums better. I've seen him like once and it's really amazing how he sings and plays the same melodies. As a seasoned musician I can tell you that it is very difficult to do that.

This is a great thread, I love jazz.

Agreed, I grew up with the whole Charlie Brown experience, and Vince Guaraldi seemed to add a bit more magic to the animated side of this wonderful set of characters. Nothing like it. Now, I forgot to mention Michael Franks. I'm not sure why I like his music, except that it always seems to have an incredible depth to it, and his lyrical style appeals to me - "Darlin', you inspire me but even I run out of adjectives" is one song line which I'll never forget.

bflatmajor
2007-01-26, 16:51
try this

www.jazztrax.com

It sounds great coming through a SB2

Also, I've able to play the weekend shows before they come out on the weekend.

I'm a big jazz fan, smooth and not so smooth..

regalma1
2007-01-29, 13:52
I think the biggest complaint I have with Smooth "Jazz" is that they call it Jazz. It isn't. It is just some pleasant music designed to sooth but not make you feel anything. That's fine if that is what you want, but please don't call it Jazz.

One thing I noticed in this thread is that the definition of Smooth "Jazz" is all over the place. Coltrane, Getz, Diana Krall, Smooth "Jazz"? If that is someone's definition of "Smooth Jazz" then I'm all for it.

Of course it is hard to bin the different artists completely. Some do seem to fit into both categories.

I listened to an interview on NPR not too long ago with a guy who is a jazz critic, but who worked as a DJ on a smooth jazz station in the past. It was pretty revealing. He said that the muscians he got to know pretty much all admitted that they weren't artists - that they were producing a product. But like I said, if you like it, by all means enjoy it. Just please don't call it jazz.

PhilNYC
2007-01-29, 13:58
Agreed, I grew up with the whole Charlie Brown experience, and Vince Guaraldi seemed to add a bit more magic to the animated side of this wonderful set of characters. Nothing like it.

For those who are into the Charlie Brown Christmas thing, this is the best remastering job on the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack I've found to date:

http://www.monstermusic.com/catalog/guaraldi/guaraldi_main.asp

I'm not a big smooth jazz fan, but I do like sax players (I was an alto player in my younger days). A couple of my favorite players are Sonny Rollins (Saxophone Collosus, Way Out West are his biggest classics IMHO) and Stan Getz.

bflatmajor
2007-01-29, 17:35
I enjoy it when people who don't like smoothjazz claim it isn't jazz for reason x...

Being a studio musician for numerous years, trumpet and sax, there are three elements that truely define jazz.

Those three things syncopation,counterpoint and a 3 or 4 beat.

Smoothjazz has all the necessary components. What most fail to understand is that with smoothjazz the downbeat is the acutal beat that is smooth.

Yes I like smoothjazz but I love instrumentals...

peejay
2007-01-29, 19:55
I enjoy it when people who don't like smoothjazz claim it isn't jazz for reason x...

Being a studio musician for numerous years, trumpet and sax, there are three elements that truely define jazz.

Smoothjazz has all the necessary components. What most fail to understand is that with smoothjazz the downbeat is the acutal beat that is smooth.

Yes I like smoothjazz but I love instrumentals...
That's interesting to hear bflat, can you give a particular example of the smooth downbeat on a track that everyone reading this may be familiar with? I like dissecting music which I enjoy in order to try to determine why it is I enjoy it, sometimes.
Cheers

bflatmajor
2007-02-02, 12:04
If you grab the latest fourplay cd.
If you listen to any cut, listen to the guitar work or the piano work, the transition between the 4 and 1 has been smoothed.

Now if you listen to the drummer banging away, then you will miss it.

PhilNYC
2007-02-02, 13:18

I thought that the defining element of jazz was improvisation...?

bflatmajor
2007-02-02, 16:06
ummmm... no.. improvisation is not the 'defining' element. Please don't tell miles davis that I said that.. :-)

peejay
2007-02-02, 22:06
On this topic, I'm heading to New York the week of the 26th of February - staying somewhere around Penn Plaza, where our offices are, I guess. If anyone can point me to a few Jazz clubs, any noteworthy ones or hangouts of the cool and not so famous, then I'd love to hear about it, particularly if anyone you know and like is playing that week.
Thanks

smc2911
2007-02-03, 02:28
try this

www.jazztrax.com

It sounds great coming through a SB2

Also, I've able to play the weekend shows before they come out on the weekend.

I'm a big jazz fan, smooth and not so smooth..
Do you have a stream url (clicking on the weblinks started pop-ups wanting me to install something called abacast)? Better still still, maybe it's worth creating a WikiRadio (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WikiRadio) list of Smooth Jazz internet stations.

PhilNYC
2007-02-03, 05:46
ummmm... no.. improvisation is not the 'defining' element. Please don't tell miles davis that I said that.. :-)

Well, that's what they told us in the History of Jazz class that I took in college... :-)

bflatmajor
2007-02-03, 09:48
SMC;

Here is the url I use to listen to jazztrax 24/7 radio

mms://wm-live.abacast.com/jazztrax

Below are the urls for the full weekend show.
I normally create a single playlist with all five hours of the weekend show in it and stream it.

mms://69.43.137.40/jazztrax070128h1.wma
mms://69.43.137.40/jazztrax070128h2.wma
mms://69.43.137.40/jazztrax070128h3.wma
mms://69.43.137.40/jazztrax070128h4.wma
mms://69.43.137.40/jazztrax070128h5.wma

Phil,

Who am I to tell you that your instuctor is not 100% correct. I would bet that when you taking History of Jazz, smoothjazz was in its infancy. Rules and times change. When I was school learning and playing music, my instructor put improvisation as a genre of jazz and I don't recall him mentioning smooth jazz .

Overall it is what it is, some people like and some don't. But to strictly dislike it because its not jazz is wrong, since it does contain 3 vital pieces that make up jazz. Go to a smoothjazz concert, there you will witness the improvisation that you are looking for. Listening to smoothjazz strictly on the radio and you will not hear the 'jazz' of it. Normally, the radio cut is strictly made for radio to peak your interest to by the cd.

Either way, enjoy the music

PhilNYC
2007-02-03, 10:24
Phil,

Who am I to tell you that your instuctor is not 100% correct. I would bet that when you taking History of Jazz, smoothjazz was in its infancy. Rules and times change. When I was school learning and playing music, my instructor put improvisation as a genre of jazz and I don't recall him mentioning smooth jazz .

Overall it is what it is, some people like and some don't. But to strictly dislike it because its not jazz is wrong, since it does contain 3 vital pieces that make up jazz. Go to a smoothjazz concert, there you will witness the improvisation that you are looking for. Listening to smoothjazz strictly on the radio and you will not hear the 'jazz' of it. Normally, the radio cut is strictly made for radio to peak your interest to by the cd.

I agree that it's wrong to dislike it just because "it's not jazz". I was only commenting because your definition of jazz seemed to be a departure from what mine was. And for the record, I think "smooth jazz" does fall into the category of jazz, because improvisation does play a big part in terms of the variations on themes and melodies that are a big part of the genre. I am a big fan of Chuck Mangione's music (believe it or not!). I will say that my preferences for jazz do tend to be a bit more raw than what most smooth jazz ends up being...but I'm also not a fan of the hard-bop stuff either...

peejay
2007-02-03, 18:46
SMC;

Here is the url I use to listen to jazztrax 24/7 radio

mms://wm-live.abacast.com/jazztrax

Below are the urls for the full weekend show.
I normally create a single playlist with all five hours of the weekend show in it and stream it.

mms://69.43.137.40/jazztrax070128h1.wma
mms://69.43.137.40/jazztrax070128h2.wma
mms://69.43.137.40/jazztrax070128h3.wma
mms://69.43.137.40/jazztrax070128h4.wma
mms://69.43.137.40/jazztrax070128h5.wma

Phil,

The few threads I've read about streaming seem to suggest that the mms protocol is not supported on the Squeezebox. Is this what you understand to be true?
Cheers

smc2911
2007-02-03, 20:21
mms is fine for the SB. The main stream works for me, but I'm having trouble with the weekend ones. Do they change regularly?

bflatmajor
2007-02-05, 09:10
If you go to the website listed below, you will see all of the previous weeks shows.

http://69.43.137.40/jazztrax/

If you are having problems playing the weekend shows then probably has to do with the file types you have selected.
I'm not currently at my pc but when I do get there, I will let you know what my settings are and maybe that will help.

All weekend shows are working fine on my installation of winxp and 6.5.1

rajacat
2007-02-05, 10:01
Perhaps smooth jazz could be called jazz that is conceived for a market segment but not music that truely expresses the artist's vision without the meddling of the corporate world.

Raj

bflatmajor
2007-02-05, 19:55
smc,

Here is what my filetype settings look like; The x's represent the check marks. With it set this way, I have no problems playing any internet radio station, so far!!.

x WAV FLAC flac
WAV MP3 lame
x WAV WAV (built-in)
x Windows Media FLAC wmadec/flac
Windows Media MP3 wmadec/lame
x Windows Media WAV wmadec
Windows Media Windows Media (built-in)

bflatmajor
2007-02-07, 15:52
smc,

Give Jazziz radio a try.

The only way I've been able to locate and play it was to go through shoutcast utilizing the SS web front end and then go into genre then into Jazz. Then go to page 4 or 5 and look for Jazziz. You should see 2 or 3 choices.

Jazziz contempo, Jazziz bistro lounge and Jazziz tradition.

Ron Olsen
2007-02-08, 05:56
On this topic, I'm heading to New York the week of the 26th of February - staying somewhere around Penn Plaza, where our offices are, I guess. If anyone can point me to a few Jazz clubs, any noteworthy ones or hangouts of the cool and not so famous, then I'd love to hear about it, particularly if anyone you know and like is playing that week.
Thanks
Check out the Blue Note: http://www.bluenote.net/newyork/index.shtml
I saw David Sanborn there in November.

Here's a list of other New York jazz clubs: http://www.ny.com/clubs/jazz/

PhilNYC
2007-02-08, 08:41
I haven't been to the Blue Note in years, but the last time I was there, it was expensive and the food was terrible. Of course, the music was excellent...!

For lesser-known places, walk along Bleeker Street in Greenwich Village between 6th Ave and 5th Ave, and you'll see a bunch of blues/jazz clubs that have some good local talent playing...

Ron Olsen
2007-02-08, 08:47
I haven't been to the Blue Note in years, but the last time I was there, it was expensive and the food was terrible. Of course, the music was excellent...!

Expensive, crowded, cramped seating, but sitting 50' away from David Sanborn and his group made up for it...

PhilNYC
2007-02-08, 11:46
Expensive, crowded, cramped seating, but sitting 50' away from David Sanborn and his group made up for it...

One time I went, I was so close to the stage that Dizzy Gillespie sweated on me. Thank god he didn't clear the spit-valve on his horn in my direction... :-)

I've also seen Herbie Hancock, Stanley Jordan, and Michael Brecker play there...(many many years ago!)

peejay
2007-02-08, 20:03
Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll check out as many of those places as I can. I'm heading to a cigar bar on West 56th St to see Joseph Diamond, but the rest of the week is free (except when I'm working of course...):-(

peejay
2007-07-01, 21:17
Here's another of the smooth set to check out. Newport Nights from 2004 is a gem. Not a bad track on an album with as much sass as smooth. Check out 'Timeless' - a track which is utterly self-describing....

haunyack
2007-07-01, 21:32
Please forgive me..

"Smoothe Jazz" ... the bastardization of an original pure art form.
Makes me want to heave.

gbruzzo
2007-07-02, 03:46
No, not yesterday, not today, not ever.

Sinful and revolting. Like cheap pop. Waste of brain activity.

Bas Horneman
2007-07-02, 07:20
I have never understood why people condemn music by genre. There is good jazz and there is bad jazz. There is good smooth jazz and bad smooth jazz. IMO

What is the point of discrimination by genre? It closes doors and burns bridges. But then again...if you don't like changing your mind that can be a good thing.

However I prefer to keep an open mind. Next thing you know someone will start saying that certain genres don't qualify as music. Like rap or something.

peejay
2007-07-02, 16:48
I have never understood why people condemn music by genre. There is good jazz and there is bad jazz. There is good smooth jazz and bad smooth jazz. IMO

What is the point of discrimination by genre? It closes doors and burns bridges. But then again...if you don't like changing your mind that can be a good thing.

However I prefer to keep an open mind. Next thing you know someone will start saying that certain genres don't qualify as music. Like rap or something.

Indeed, I don't particularly like Hip-Hop, or Rap, but now and again I hear something in those Genres and think 'Well, that's listenable, at least'. I choose not to focus on narrow sources of the stuff I'm not keen on, but rarely do I genre-bash.
Of course I appreciate there are the purists out there who probably only listen to Davis, Ellington and Coltrane. So be it.

PhilNYC
2007-07-02, 16:58
I think the biggest problem I have with "smooth jazz" is the over-produced glossy sound they use on the production. Every instrument sounds the same (eg. heavy reverb), and every song sounds compressed the same way. Its like a huge wall between the listener and the musicians...

haunyack
2007-07-02, 17:23
It's fusion in a fashion ... my impression is that the harmonic (modal) structure more resembles pop than jazz.
"Smooth Jazz" is a misnomer.
Jazz is nowhere near "smooth", nor is it intended to be consumed by the masses.
Jazz is jazz for it's own sake.

kfritz
2007-07-06, 21:55
OK, everybody seems to have an opinion here, so I'll put my $0.02 in.

My main reason for being here is my growing digital library of Jazz -- not the smooth stuff -- the tough stuff. Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Art Pepper, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus -- I could go on. My library contains 90 years of music!

It was a local radio station here that got me hooked, KCSM. Tune it in once in a while -- its on the Slim Picks. They also have an awesome Blues show on Friday 9pm (listening now). KKJZ is also good, I always tune in during Sunday BBQ for another awesome blues show, and it's on every rental car I've ever driven in LA.

As for Smooth Jazz, to each his own. I don't care for most of the music marketed that way, though there are exceptions.

haunyack
2007-07-07, 17:46
It was a local radio station here that got me hooked, KCSM. Tune it in once in a while -- its on the Slim Picks. They also have an awesome Blues show on Friday 9pm (listening now).

Here in Portland, Oregon we have a similar station operated by a local college.

Very similar to your KCSM ... straight ahead jazz with "Friday Night Blues" on Friday from 4pm till 6am Saturday.

KMHD..89.1 FM.
"Jazz, Blues and NPR news" is their tagline.

Commercial-free to boot.

Check it out .. it's tuneable in Slimserver.
24kbps...blech!

bflatmajor
2007-07-07, 19:14
Everyone has an opinion. Ask 3 different people and you will get 3 different opinions.

If everything has to be put into a category, then I vote for the category of instrumentalist. No vocals, just someone playing an instrument that takes the place of vocalist.

If everyone who hates smoothjazz based their hate on what they heard on the radio, then I would also hate smoothjazz. For instance, there is a station in Sacramento California that calls themself a smoothjazz station. But very often they will play Phil Collins.
Now when did Phil Collins become part of jazz, smooth or otherwise?
But when they play some music by Sting, they may hit the nail on the head. Even Sting admitted that for a couple of CD/Albums he was geared more to jazz.

For me I like George Benson... not when he sings but when he plays. So, is he a jazz guitarist or pop guitarist?

How about Boney James? Pop or Jazz or instrumentalist?

Before someone claims to 'Hate' a certain form or aspect of the genere, maybe he/or she should listen to something other than the radio.

The above commentary does not reflect the views of anyone other the author. It was not meant to point a finger at anything that was previously written or said within this thread.

Have a nice weekend!!

pfarrell
2007-07-07, 20:09
If everyone who hates smoothjazz based their hate on what they heard on the radio, then I would also hate smoothjazz. For instance, there is a station in Sacramento California that calls themself a smoothjazz station. But very often they will play Phil Collins.
Now when did Phil Collins become part of jazz, smooth or otherwise?
But when they play some music by Sting, they may hit the nail on the head. Even Sting admitted that for a couple of CD/Albums he was geared more to jazz.

The Washington DC SmoothJazz station is really more of a jazz-lite with almost jazz pop. Plus it has way too much Kenny G. Of course, for me, any Kenny G is too much. It is really radio demographic, targeting the young professional woman.

While I had a jazz radio show when I was in college, I really dislike bebop, which probably earns me being kicked out of the jazz lovers world. Jazz with variations on the melody is what I prefer (YMMV) but once you lose the melody and totally change the chord structure (which jazz purists love) I tune out.

peejay
2007-07-08, 21:45
The Washington DC SmoothJazz station is really more of a jazz-lite with almost jazz pop. Plus it has way too much Kenny G. Of course, for me, any Kenny G is too much. It is really radio demographic, targeting the young professional woman.

While I had a jazz radio show when I was in college, I really dislike bebop, which probably earns me being kicked out of the jazz lovers world. Jazz with variations on the melody is what I prefer (YMMV) but once you lose the melody and totally change the chord structure (which jazz purists love) I tune out.

I agree, for purists jazz-lite/jazz pop is probably unacceptable, and Kenny G wasn't ever...well, he actually started me on the SJ journey, but I definitely left him at the station....

Kurt
2007-07-12, 11:33
No, not yesterday, not today, not ever.

Sinful and revolting. Like cheap pop. Waste of brain activity.

I'm choking on the smugness. Hak-HAK! ;-)

morris_minor
2007-11-16, 11:48
Isn't the problem here the label rather than the music? There's music you like, and music you don't - and wouldn't it be boring if everyone liked the same thing?

For jazz with a smooth sound (sic.) try out any collaboration between Paul Desmond (the smoothest alto sound in history) and Jim Hall (mellow, self-effacing and simply brilliant guitar).

SumnerH
2007-11-19, 17:26

So to you Take Five isn't jazz? Odd definition.