PDA

View Full Version : Fwd: Out of Office AutoReply: Synch issues still



fauxfrenchdeux
2003-12-24, 21:47
Why do I get this type of reply so often?

--- FirstName LastName
<1stName.LastName (AT) telindus (DOT) co.uk> wrote:
> From: James Dunn <James.Dunn (AT) telindus (DOT) co.uk>
> To: Julius Friede <fauxfrenchdeux (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>
> Subject: Out of Office AutoReply: [slim] Synch
> issues still
> Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 04:00:41 -0000
>
> I will be out of the office until Monday 5th January
> 2004
>
> If you require an urgent response please contact the
> Telindus switchboard on
______________________________________________

--- FirstName LastName
<1stName.LastName (AT) macromedia (DOT) com>
To:
"Julius Friede" <fauxfrenchdeux (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>

>Subject:

> Out of Office AutoReply: [slim] Synch issues still
>
> Date:
> Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:00:10 -0800
>
>
>
>
>
> I will be out of the office and away from email on
until 12/29. I'll
> get
> back to you as soon as I return. Thanks and happy
holidays.



__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing.
http://photos.yahoo.com/

kdf
2003-12-25, 02:06
Quoting fauxfrenchdeux <fauxfrenchdeux (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>:

> Why do I get this type of reply so often?
because certian idiots leave autoreply agents on when they leave their office.
And they have personal lists runnign through their office email. thankfully,
they do manage to figure out that complicated task of replying to the individual
and not the list.

-kdf

Mark C. Langston
2003-12-25, 02:19
On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 01:06:18AM -0800, kdf wrote:
> Quoting fauxfrenchdeux <fauxfrenchdeux (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>:
>
> > Why do I get this type of reply so often?
> because certian idiots leave autoreply agents on when they leave their office.
> And they have personal lists runnign through their office email. thankfully,
> they do manage to figure out that complicated task of replying to the individual
> and not the list.
>


Actually, a properly set-up procmail recipe for handling vacation
autoreplies can distinguish between email lists and individual mail, and
not reply to email lists.

However, not everyone uses a system where procmail is available, nor is
every vacation notification system capable of distinguishing between the
two.


--
Mark C. Langston Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark (AT) bitshift (DOT) org mark (AT) seti (DOT) org
Systems & Network Admin SETI Institute
http://bitshift.org http://www.seti.org

kdf
2003-12-25, 02:36
Quoting "Mark C. Langston" <mark (AT) bitshift (DOT) org>:

> On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 01:06:18AM -0800, kdf wrote:
> > Quoting fauxfrenchdeux <fauxfrenchdeux (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>:
> >
> > > Why do I get this type of reply so often?
> > because certian idiots leave autoreply agents on when they leave their
> office.
> > And they have personal lists runnign through their office email.
> thankfully,
> > they do manage to figure out that complicated task of replying to the
> individual
> > and not the list.
> >
>
>
> Actually, a properly set-up procmail recipe for handling vacation
> autoreplies can distinguish between email lists and individual mail, and
> not reply to email lists.
>
> However, not everyone uses a system where procmail is available, nor is
> every vacation notification system capable of distinguishing between the
> two.
>

The point would be, however, to not use work email for personal email lists. I
mean, spend the money and get personal internet instead of using work resources
for your own.

-kdf

Mark C. Langston
2003-12-25, 02:44
On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 01:36:51AM -0800, kdf wrote:
>
> The point would be, however, to not use work email for personal email lists. I
> mean, spend the money and get personal internet instead of using work resources
> for your own.


True. However, I'd imagine there are people whose interest in the
SliMP3 is a legitimate work-related issue. I subscribe to quite a few
lists that would qualify as work-related, that others subscribe to out
of purely personal interest.

The real point would be to cache recent responses to people so a given
sender doesn't receive multiple copies of the notice, and to check
headers to ensure responses aren't being sent as a result of receiving
mail from a mailing list.

In short, the real point would be: Use a properly-configured vacation
notification system. If one isn't available, don't use a vacation
notification.

You're looking for a behavioral solution to a problem with a fairly
simple technical solution.

However, pessimist that I am, neither of us will get our wish on this.
:) People will continue to subscribe from work accounts, and they'll
continue to use vacation autoresponders that don't recognize mailing
list-related headers.

At least they're not going to the list itself (or are they? I forgot to
check the headers before I deleted the two I just got. Perhaps Dean is
just dropping them on the floor?)

--
Mark C. Langston Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark (AT) bitshift (DOT) org mark (AT) seti (DOT) org
Systems & Network Admin SETI Institute
http://bitshift.org http://www.seti.org

Jack Coates
2003-12-25, 09:13
On Thu, 2003-12-25 at 01:44, Mark C. Langston wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 01:36:51AM -0800, kdf wrote:
> >
> > The point would be, however, to not use work email for personal email lists. I
> > mean, spend the money and get personal internet instead of using work resources
> > for your own.
>
>
> True. However, I'd imagine there are people whose interest in the
> SliMP3 is a legitimate work-related issue. I subscribe to quite a few
> lists that would qualify as work-related, that others subscribe to out
> of purely personal interest.
>
> The real point would be to cache recent responses to people so a given
> sender doesn't receive multiple copies of the notice, and to check
> headers to ensure responses aren't being sent as a result of receiving
> mail from a mailing list.
>
> In short, the real point would be: Use a properly-configured vacation
> notification system. If one isn't available, don't use a vacation
> notification.

problem is, it isn't the fault of the end user who subscribed to the
list; it's the fault of their admin. The vast majority of these come
from the Exchange/Outlook combo, which makes it quite simple for the
admin to keep OOO replies from leaving the company. It's very important
to do so, because nothing says opportunity like posting "Joe Blow the
security admin will be out of the office and ignoring his logs for the
next two weeks."
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
************************************************** ********************
*"And the head said that you always were a queer one from the start, *
*for careers you say you want to be remembered for your art, your *
*obsession gets you known throughout the school for being strange, *
*making life-sized models of The Velvet Underground in clay." *
*-- Expectations from Tigermilk by Belle and Sebastian *
************************************************** ********************

Mark C. Langston
2003-12-25, 09:23
On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 08:13:29AM -0800, Jack Coates wrote:
>
> problem is, it isn't the fault of the end user who subscribed to the
> list; it's the fault of their admin. The vast majority of these come
> from the Exchange/Outlook combo, which makes it quite simple for the
> admin to keep OOO replies from leaving the company. It's very important
> to do so, because nothing says opportunity like posting "Joe Blow the
> security admin will be out of the office and ignoring his logs for the
> next two weeks."


It's not uncommon for the end-user to be the admin. Just as it's not
uncommon for desktops to be completely locked-down and immune to
end-user changes. I'm not pointing the finger of blame at a person; I'm
pointing it at poorly-configured technology. It doesn't matter who
fixes it, end user or admin -- it just needs to be fixed.

That said, I'll reiterate: I don't believe it will be, unless and until
mailing lists start unsubbing people who do this. I know of several
lists that currently take this stance. It tends to get the problem
corrected rather quickly, if the subscriber cares at all about being
subscribed to the list.


--
Mark C. Langston Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark (AT) bitshift (DOT) org mark (AT) seti (DOT) org
Systems & Network Admin SETI Institute
http://bitshift.org http://www.seti.org