PDA

View Full Version : Remote Streaming Restriction

RalphO
2007-01-22, 19:16
I would be grateful if some of you could help me understand something.

I like to have access to my full music collection while I am travelling. Connecting over the internet to my home machine and streaming from Slimserver has allowed me to do just that. Sometimes I will use my laptop but on other times I use my wifi capable Palm TX, they both work fine for most of my music which is stored in FLAC format. However, I have noticed that whenever I try to stream an alienBBC stream from slimserver using my Palm TX slimserver it just stops and pressing start does nothing. The palm has a music player called pocket tunes which I think only plays mp3's. I have therefore presumed that this is because the BBC stream is in realplayer (or something). But if that is the case how does it successfully handle the FLAC files?

Mark Miksis
2007-01-22, 19:26
This thread might help...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26315

RalphO
2007-01-23, 11:16
Fletch

Thanks I found your reply and the other thread very interesting. I am not sure that I am up to altering the code of AlienBBC to make this work. However, your reply did give me an idea. I tried to listen to an alienBBC feed on my laptop using softsqueeze and it works. So I have a partial soultion while travelling.

I am not sure that I have all of the requirements that I was looking for. One idea I was looking to explore was some of Radio 5 live feeds. You see I am a Brit living in the US. Premiership football matches are only available on the Radio 5 web site for UK listeners. I had the idea that if I could get my brother (in the UK) to install Slimserver and AlienBBC on his computer I might be able to connect to it over the internet and hear the feed. I do not know whether it will work, I guess I have to try to find out.

Siduhe
2007-01-24, 04:23
One idea I was looking to explore was some of Radio 5 live feeds. You see I am a Brit living in the US. Premiership football matches are only available on the Radio 5 web site for UK listeners. I had the idea that if I could get my brother (in the UK) to install Slimserver and AlienBBC on his computer I might be able to connect to it over the internet and hear the feed. I do not know whether it will work, I guess I have to try to find out.

I'm not sure this will work for you because of the restrictions that the BBC place / have placed on them with streaming Premiership matches over the internet. I am based in the UK, with a UK ISP and I often switch on R5 Live via Slimserver (using AlienBBC) and via Squeezenetwork when the matches are on to hear a "sorry, due to licencing restrictions we cannot transmit this item via internet radio" or something similar. I can hear them fine if I open up the feed via the BBC website or using my cable provider (which has radio channels).

bpa
2007-01-24, 04:55
For some event where the restriction is geographical (i.e UK only) then I think it might work if you can use a RealAudio connection to 5Live or if you force slimserver to the transcode the 5Live WMA stream to say a lower bit rate - the connection will be made from where the slimserver is connected to the network - so if the slimserver is based in the UK the connection will be made from the UK. The squeezebox can be in the US but it be connecting from US to the host slimserver - not the BBC.

However the previous poster says premiership broadcast is restricted to terrestrial networks so your other option would be to stream a radio connection through a PC radio card onto slimserver.