PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox no longer startup automatically

fingers
2007-01-22, 17:51
After upgrading to the latest nightly build of SlimServer, non of my Squeezeboxes now start up when my SlimServer machines starts. SlimServer starts, but shows YOUR PLAYER WAS NOT FOUND. To fix this I need to press the POWER button a couple trys on the remote. Then I need to go around the house to the other Squeezeboxes and do the same to them. They I need to re-launch SlimServer. Any suggestions?

PS... SlimServer also does not remember that the other Slimdevices are to be synced to my main machine as well. Even thought after I remotely turn on each slimdevice and SlimServer also knows what to sync to, non of the devices sync. Infact, in the Player interface it no longers says such and such sync'd with such and such even though the Player settings says they are.

JJZolx
2007-01-22, 19:49
After upgrading to the latest nightly build of SlimServer, non of my Squeezeboxes now start up when my SlimServer machines starts. SlimServer starts, but shows YOUR PLAYER WAS NOT FOUND. To fix this I need to press the POWER button a couple trys on the remote. Then I need to go around the house to the other Squeezeboxes and do the same to them. They I need to re-launch SlimServer. Any suggestions?

Sounds like:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3778

fingers
2007-01-22, 20:28
Sounds like:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3778

Personally... as a consumer I hate trying to read those bug reports. Is there any work around for this situation seeing as it is an issue with SlimServer?

JJZolx
2007-01-22, 20:32
Personally... as a consumer I hate trying to read those bug reports. Is there any work around for this situation seeing as it is an issue with SlimServer?

If you want the short answer: No.

fingers
2007-01-22, 20:42
If you want the short answer: No.

No? So, revert to an earlier version? Ditch SlimServer all together? As it is now... no music is playing throughout the house. That's quite the product don't ya think?

JJZolx
2007-01-22, 20:48
No? So, revert to an earlier version? Ditch SlimServer all together? As it is now... no music is playing throughout the house. That's quite the product don't ya think?

Your call.

fingers
2007-01-22, 20:59
Your call.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

fingers
2007-01-22, 21:29
It is truly amazing to me how this stuff is so HIT OR MISS! I just downloaded and installed the RELEASED version of 6.5.1 to revert back to something that hopefully will work. After installing and then rebooting because nothing was happening, the slim icon in the system tray is just blinking... not launching.... the slim devices are all black...............

so.... once again!

no slimserver
no slimdevices
no music

kdf
2007-01-22, 21:30
Since you don't like reading the bug report, I can offer a summary.
Some players are having a problem reconnecting to the server after
detecting a loss of connection to the server. A few people have
offered packet traces that show some questionable activity, but nothing
yet difinitive. the firmware engineer responsible for SB stuff has
asked for more details, but is not yet able to reproduce in order to
debug it himself.

the current workaround is as you have already noticed, press power a
few times to force the player to reconnect. Unplugging and plugging
back in also helps. Where possible, avoid restarting the server so
that you don't have the reconnect issue.

Speaking for myself, I have not run into this issue. As a contributor,
I restart often and sometimes leave the server off for a long time
before another start. All players reconnect fine, aside from one SB1
which sometimes doesn't realise the bridge from the SB2 it's wired to
is back online.

While Jim is being rather short about it, he is right. The choice is
up to you. If you can accept that you are in an unfortunate minority
and live with the extra power button pressing until it's fixed, you'll
get to enjoy the SB when it works, and when it's fixed. If you believe
that people like me are lying, others saying nothing, and the product
itself is utterly useless for all and will never be fixed, then you
might want to consider looking elsewhere. As a so-called "insider" i
know just how much of a priority it is to avoid server crashes, and a
lot of what is going into 7.0 is to avoid crashes even at the cost of
the occasional unstable feature. At the very least, this will mean
that you can restart less. As for firmware fixes, there is someone on
it, but there are sometimes things in private life that matter
more...so you will need to have some patience on this matter.

sorry for the aggravation that you are suffering. I offer only what I
know.

-kdf

fingers
2007-01-22, 21:43
Since you don't like reading the bug report, I can offer a summary.
Some players are having a problem reconnecting to the server after
detecting a loss of connection to the server. A few people have
offered packet traces that show some questionable activity, but nothing
yet difinitive. the firmware engineer responsible for SB stuff has
asked for more details, but is not yet able to reproduce in order to
debug it himself.

the current workaround is as you have already noticed, press power a
few times to force the player to reconnect. Unplugging and plugging
back in also helps. Where possible, avoid restarting the server so
that you don't have the reconnect issue.

Speaking for myself, I have not run into this issue. As a contributor,
I restart often and sometimes leave the server off for a long time
before another start. All players reconnect fine, aside from one SB1
which sometimes doesn't realise the bridge from the SB2 it's wired to
is back online.

While Jim is being rather short about it, he is right. The choice is
up to you. If you can accept that you are in an unfortunate minority
and live with the extra power button pressing until it's fixed, you'll
get to enjoy the SB when it works, and when it's fixed. If you believe
that people like me are lying, others saying nothing, and the product
itself is utterly useless for all and will never be fixed, then you
might want to consider looking elsewhere. As a so-called "insider" i
know just how much of a priority it is to avoid server crashes, and a
lot of what is going into 7.0 is to avoid crashes even at the cost of
the occasional unstable feature. At the very least, this will mean
that you can restart less. As for firmware fixes, there is someone on
it, but there are sometimes things in private life that matter
more...so you will need to have some patience on this matter.

sorry for the aggravation that you are suffering. I offer only what I
know.

-kdf

As I am sure are you are as most of us... I am interested in playing music. It is always humerous when both people that post here and those on product support via email say...OH WELL!

The point is... that this is truly not consistent. I just now after installing the released version (not the nightly updates) of 6.5.1 and finding it does not work as well, installed 6.3.1, the last known good working version. It is now also showing that it is not going to work as well. What this means as has been typical in the past over a year of dealing with SlimServer is that I am going to have to purge any instance of SlimServer from my machine, re-install again, re-setup the WPA encryption.

Non of this should ever have to happen!

fingers
2007-01-22, 21:55
Now this is really special!!

After installing 6.3.1... SlimServer launches, but not completely and the slimdevices still do not start up unless I press the red power button on the remote. When I do, the slimdevices immediatly start playing some Christmas Playlist on their own and slimserver only shows black and white squares. This is almost like an episode of Star Trek! Yipeeee

so.... what this means.... is that once again boys and girls... we need to wipe any instance of SlimServer from the computer, re-install whatever version will work... and then re-setup all the network crap! How amazing!

Skunk
2007-01-22, 22:47
Now this is really special!!

After installing 6.3.1... SlimServer launches, but not completely and the slimdevices still do not start up unless I press the red power button on the remote. When I do, the slimdevices immediatly start playing some Christmas Playlist on their own and slimserver only shows black and white squares. This is almost like an episode of Star Trek! Yipeeee

I think you mean Twilight Zone. Of all the reasons not to use windows, random christmas music would be the final straw for me.

So I'm assuming you know how to fix the above and were just kind of venting(nothing wrong w/ that)?.

I was curious if you used 'uninstall programs' AND deleted the Slimserver File before upgrading, and if the firmware could be updated, in attempt to at least get your music back on. I'm using windows 2k so unsure if the problems coexist. Good luck.

JJZolx
2007-01-22, 22:50
I did forget to mention one possible workaround.

First, I'll point out the most obvious solution. Don't shut down SlimServer or the machine on which it runs. Some people have mentioned the problem after losing connectivity between Squeezebox and SlimServer, but that doesn't seem to be common. For the most part, the Squeezeboxes either connect and stay connected, or they don't.

The possible workaround is to restart the SlimServer service. This apparently doesn't work for everyone, but if it does, it's better than running around the house with the remote. When I had the same problem (for whatever reason, I no longer experience it) I would restart SlimServer and either all or none of my Squeezeboxes would reconnect. Sometimes I had to do this five or more times, but eventually they all reconnected at the same time. If you have the Home page open in the Default skin you'll be able to see on that page which Squeezeboxes have connected. Generally it took maybe 10-15 seconds after restarting to see the SBs connect, so give it a moment before trying to restart.

mherger
2007-01-23, 00:16
> If you want the short answer: No.

Has anyone ever tried the factory reset (unplug SB, press and hold ADD on
remote while powering up the device)? A while ago I had similar issues
with several of my devices (not all at the same time) and a factory reset
fixed it for all of them.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

fingers
2007-01-23, 17:48
That sure would fix some things. However, it also then requires to resetup your network etc which is pain to have to do everytime an update happens to SlimServer.

Meatwad650
2007-01-23, 18:32
I find it interesting that someone is complaining about an issue with the nightly builds. I would think that it's obvious that the software could be buggy and is an "at your own risk" sort of thing.

fingers
2007-01-23, 18:42
Um... at this point I have tried getting back to 6.5.1 and now to 6.3.1. Both to no success. So this has nothing to do with nightly builds.

JJZolx
2007-01-23, 18:44
I find it interesting that someone is complaining about an issue with the nightly builds. I would think that it's obvious that the software could be buggy and is an "at your own risk" sort of thing.

Right now the nightly builds of 6.5.x are nearly identical to the official 6.5.1 released last week. Only one tiny change to one of the skins has been checked in to the 6.5.x branch since then. Plus, the problem being discussed has existed since 6.5 was in beta, last summer so it's not likeley that it was introduced recently by some small change.

fingers
2007-01-23, 19:23
I would agree... however that is exactly what happened. I have had no problems with previous builds of 6.5.1 until now.

So, here is what follows. After contacting tech support by phone this evening because I never heard back after filling out and submitting a support issue via the website (by the way... they have no record of that ticket). Tech Support was unable to get me up and running. I sent them a file to check out.

In the mean time... it has now been 2 days without music so I have done the following:
1. Add Remove Programs: removed SlimServer. Deleted SlimServer folder under Program Files. Rebooted. Downloaded and installed the released version of 6.5.1. Installed. SlimServer would only flash and never come up. Services said that SlimServer was not started. Re-Started Services however, even though Services said SlimServer started, it never did and when going back into Services it indeed was not started.
2. Tried the above 2 more times. Same thing
3. Tried the above again however, this time I downloaded and installed 6.3.1. SlimServer starts up first time everytime on the computer (YEAH!) but... the 3 Squeeseboxes have no clue what's going on and show blank
4. Start with one Squeesebox. Do a Factory reset. However, it is apparent that even though the Squeezebox says that a Factory Reset happened it does not (the Factory reset settings do not automatically advance to the next character when entering the WPA encyrption). Walked through the network setup. Upon restarting the Squeezebox wants a Firmware upgrade. I do the Firmware upgrade and after have to walk through the network setup a second time (re-entering the WPA encyprtion). Upon restarting the Squeezebox cannot find the SlimServer. Perform the whole task of Factory reset 2 more times to success (4 times total).
5. Repeat the exact same procedure for the other 3 Squeezeboxes on my network however, they only required 3 Factory resets instead of 4.

All is now well. SlimServer 6.3.1 is up and running!!

Is is really ashame that someone has to go through this process each and every time they attempt an upgrade. This is not the first for me. The same thing has happened numerous times here at home with my 3 Squeezeboxes and also numerous times at the office with my 2 Squeezeboxes there.

Be Aware!

Meatwad650
2007-01-23, 19:32
Right now the nightly builds of 6.5.x are nearly identical to the official 6.5.1 released last week. Only one tiny change to one of the skins has been checked in to the 6.5.x branch since then. Plus, the problem being discussed has existed since 6.5 was in beta, last summer so it's not likeley that it was introduced recently by some small change.

If the problem happened with a nightly build was installed then why would that not be the case?

I'd recommend wiping out everything to do with slimserver and re-installing from a production release. And not mess with nightly builds if beta software scares you.

Meatwad650
2007-01-23, 19:34
Is is really ashame that someone has to go through this process each and every time they attempt an upgrade.

Has this happened when upgrading from a production release to another production release?

fingers
2007-01-23, 19:55
Has this happened when upgrading from a production release to another production release?

Yup. Not all the time... but more than should

fingers
2007-01-23, 19:56
If the problem happened with a nightly build was installed then why would that not be the case?

I'd recommend wiping out everything to do with slimserver and re-installing from a production release. And not mess with nightly builds if beta software scares you.

Did you read my previous post?

fingers
2007-01-23, 21:37
So...

SlimServer 6.3.1 starts up each and everytime when the computer boots up

All 3 Squeezeboxes see SlimServer and are happy.

However...

The SlimServer interface works just fine with the default skin but is completely horked when changed to Fishbone. See link

http://wrathcat.com/web/SlimServer.jpg

- I have refreshed the page
- dumped the cache and cookies
- and rebooted the machine several times

nothing....

kdf
2007-01-23, 21:59
On 23-Jan-07, at 8:37 PM, fingers wrote:

>
> The SlimServer interface works just fine with the default skin but is
> completely horked when chaning to Fishbone. See link
> http://wrathcat.com/web/SlimServer.jpg
>
three thoughts:

1) despite what I assume was a complete uninstall prior to installing
6.3.1, something was left behind unknowingly and you've got bad
html/css loading up

2) something isn't initialising right with the cookie for the style.
try going into help, fishbone style changes, switch to grey or tan,
click ok then refresh and select the default style again (if that's
your preference)

3) caching can be really sticky, refresh the browser several times in
quick succession.

good luck.

-kdf

fingers
2007-01-23, 22:09
Yes, you assumed correct... a complete uninstall prior to re-install as described, multiple times.

I would guess a lot is not initialising right. Already tried your Fishbone suggestion. Same thing

Yup, caching can be very sticky, that's why it is a good idea to do it a couple times.

Skunk
2007-01-23, 22:23
Yup, caching can be very sticky, that's why it is a good idea to do it a couple times.

Better yet install Firefox and try there rather than I.E..

To make sure the SS cache is cleared delete:
C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache\templates\C\PROGRA~1 \SLIMSE~1\server\HTML

I think as long as you actually had Christmas music on your HD, we are at least out of twilight zone territory.

mherger
2007-01-24, 01:20
> That sure would fix some things. However, it also then requires to
> resetup your network etc which is pain to have to do everytime an
> update happens to SlimServer.

Did you try it? Did it help?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR