PDA

View Full Version : Rhapsody Operation Question

rickosound
2007-01-21, 12:51
Hi-

I just began my 30 day trial of Rhapsody, and have a couple of questions on how it functions that maybe someone here can explain.

When requesting an album, I've encountered a few situations where only certain songs from the album were available. e.g. requesting The Clash's album, "London Calling" only offered a couple of tracks from that album (the track 'London Calling' was not among them). So I searched for the track, "London Calling" and it served it, but listed the track as falling under the Clash's "Singles" compilation album. Since I think the album "London Calling" is best enjoyed in its entirety, that's how I'd like to hear it. Did I somehow mess up the search, is it a bug of the system, or does Rhapsody not have the album fully indexed?

Likewise, searching Radiohead's "OK computer" revealed a great string quartet tribute version of the album, but no actual tracks for any Radiohead songs were found at all (which must not be true, as Radiohead's a pretty popular band). Is the full content available only to subscribers, and not those using the 30 day trial? I'd like to have this info in hand before making any decisions to subscribe.

Thanks for your help.

azinck3
2007-01-21, 13:33
Hi-

I just began my 30 day trial of Rhapsody, and have a couple of questions on how it functions that maybe someone here can explain.

When requesting an album, I've encountered a few situations where only certain songs from the album were available. e.g. requesting The Clash's album, "London Calling" only offered a couple of tracks from that album (the track 'London Calling' was not among them). So I searched for the track, "London Calling" and it served it, but listed the track as falling under the Clash's "Singles" compilation album. Since I think the album "London Calling" is best enjoyed in its entirety, that's how I'd like to hear it. Did I somehow mess up the search, is it a bug of the system, or does Rhapsody not have the album fully indexed?

Likewise, searching Radiohead's "OK computer" revealed a great string quartet tribute version of the album, but no actual tracks for any Radiohead songs were found at all (which must not be true, as Radiohead's a pretty popular band). Is the full content available only to subscribers, and not those using the 30 day trial? I'd like to have this info in hand before making any decisions to subscribe.

Thanks for your help.

Not all music is available through rhapsody. As you've found, some bands offer only a limited selection of their music, others none at all. None of Radiohead's music is available through Rhapsody. Sometimes only parts of albums are available. This is unusual enough that it hasn't been a huge problem for me, but it certainly happens sometimes. I attribute it to the complex licensing that depends on band, label, and songwriter. I, too, have found that sometimes a song which isn't available on an album is available somewhere else, like in a single or compilation somewhere. For instance, the Garden State soundtrack is not available on Rhapsody (probably due to licensing issues with the movie release) but all the individual songs that make up the soundtrack are available from the individual artists. Funny stuff...

methane
2007-01-23, 07:42
One of the stranger things I've found is that some tracks which show up on the web-based, Rhapsody site -- which you can play on your computer if you subscribe -- are not available on the SN search and cannot be played on a SB. For example, I added the Soundtrack to the movie Secretary to a Playlist on my Rhapsody account online. I can see the playlist on the SB when I'm connected to SN, but it's entirely empty. And when I search for the songs or soundtrack on SN, none of them are available. The same goes for Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright. It's really weird, I would think that both the Web-based Rhapsody and the SN-based Rhapsody would server from the same library, but apparently they don't.

incandenza
2007-01-23, 09:12
Hmm, I tried that and noticed the same thing-- putting those tracks in a playlist resulted in an empty playlist on the SB. However, I had no problem playing the album from My Library after adding it there.

azinck3
2007-01-23, 10:09
One of the stranger things I've found is that some tracks which show up on the web-based, Rhapsody site -- which you can play on your computer if you subscribe -- are not available on the SN search and cannot be played on a SB. For example, I added the Soundtrack to the movie Secretary to a Playlist on my Rhapsody account online. I can see the playlist on the SB when I'm connected to SN, but it's entirely empty. And when I search for the songs or soundtrack on SN, none of them are available. The same goes for Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright. It's really weird, I would think that both the Web-based Rhapsody and the SN-based Rhapsody would server from the same library, but apparently they don't.

I looked up both the secretary soundtrack and the song Hallelujah in the Rhapsody client and they each have some oddities--the Secretary soundtrack is not available for purchase, and the song Hallelujah is only available for purchase with the whole album (it can't be bought individually). While it doesn't make much sense why it would, I wonder if these various oddities have any bearing on the behavior you're seeing. I'm not at my SB so I can't check if this hypothesis is consistent with other tracks.

sstatman
2007-01-24, 20:25
You should certainly be able to play any track on the SB that you can play from the rhapsody.com website.

To make sure I'm looking at the right thing, which track can you play on the website that you can't play on the SB?

incandenza
2007-01-25, 15:30
Well, speaking for myself only, I couldn't find any tracks that would play on the PC but not on the Squeezebox. However, if I created a playlist containing the tracks from the Secretary soundtrack and then went to that playlist from the Squeezebox, it appeared to be empty. (If I create a playlist with other various tracks, it works fine, so it's not just something with all playlists.)

Normally I wouldn't create a playlist like that, I would just play the album from My Library, but I was trying to reproduce what the original poster described.