PDA

View Full Version : Certain WMAs not playing following server move

wysbf2
2007-01-21, 12:35
Just moved my music from a WinXP machine to a spare machine running Ubuntu Dapper (6.06). All seems OK....but a small number of WMAs are failing to play. The SB3 reports 'PROBLEM: CAN'T OPEN FILE FOR [TrackName], and skips to the next track in the playlist.

Old setup (which worked fine) was:
SlimServer Version: 6.5.0 - 9916 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.0.4
Perl Version: 5.8.7 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

New setup is:
SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Debian - EN - iso-8859-1
Server IP address: 192.168.0.5
Perl Version: 5.8.7 i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 4.1.15-Debian_1ubuntu5

Have tried re-copying the problem WMAs from the old machine to the new machine, but that doesn't seem to fix the problem (even after re-building playlists).

Am operating wirelessly. Have done network health check: seems to pass with flying colours.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance....

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-21, 12:43
While there's a built-in WMA decoder, WMA lossless has to be decoded by Windows Media Player, obviously a problem on Linux machines!

Are the files that won't play lossless?

wysbf2
2007-01-21, 12:59
No, they're VBR....but admittedly at quite high bit rates (circa 800-900 kbps). I just tested some more higher bit rate VBR files, and they won't play either...

Is the SB interpreting these as lossless? I suppose I could try limiting the bit rate, to see if that makes any difference.

wysbf2
2007-01-21, 13:27
Just did an experiment, and fear that it's showed up my poor understanding of media formats ;-)

It seems that if I rip a CD as Variable Bit Rate in Win Media Player, but choose the highest quality, it effectively rips it as WMA Lossless. Right? In which case, that explains why I have a bunch of WMAs I now can't play.

If I want to stick with my Ubuntu machine, do I have any workarounds other than re-ripping *lots* of CDs? Would installing a WMA Codec on my machine make any difference?

Thanks again.

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-21, 13:52
It seems that if I rip a CD as Variable Bit Rate in Win Media Player, but choose the highest quality, it effectively rips it as WMA Lossless. Right? In which case, that explains why I have a bunch of WMAs I now can't play.

I'm not sure, I don't use WMA. 800-900 kbps does sound like lossless though.

I do know with MP3 you can't use an arbitrary bitrate, you have a pre-described set to choose from (i.e. you can use 128 kbps but not 132.)

If I want to stick with my Ubuntu machine, do I have any workarounds other than re-ripping *lots* of CDs? Would installing a WMA Codec on my machine make any difference?

Could be, but seeing as WMA means "Windows Media Audio", Microsoft can do what they like with it and the Linux community will have to play catch-up should they change the format.

wysbf2
2007-01-21, 13:59
Thanks for that. Just found another thread detailing the ins and outs of transcoding from WMA to WAV/FLAC, so appreciate the issues better.

Seems the best long term solution (since my music should now be staying on this machine) will be to re-rip to FLAC and to stick with that for all new music. Alternatively (if I can be bothered) I could migrate all my WMA Lossless to WAV (since my music is currently still on the old WinXP machine as well)...and then move the WAVs to the new machine.

Thx again.