PDA

View Full Version : Cant play WMA files

David C
2007-01-20, 08:10
I just hooked up sqeezebox v 3 wireless and it plays mp3 files fine but when I try to play a wma file it shows on the box as playing but is not. Can anyone help?

oreillymj
2007-01-20, 09:04
You'll need to supply more info.

Get the version of Slimserver from the bottom of the Server settings page within the UI.

Also, are the WMA's purchased from an online music store, or where they ripped within Media player.

The SB cannot natively play WMA files with DRM enabled.

You'll perhaps have to attach one of the songs for someone else to test.

David C
2007-01-20, 09:40
Thanks for the response. I have slim server 6.5.1 and I ripped the WMA files using the Creative labs software that came with my sound card from CDs. They are VBR and most are around 700 kbs

David C
2007-01-20, 09:42
one more thing

What is DRM enabled?

oreillymj
2007-01-21, 13:14
DRM = Digital Rights Management

i.e. When you buy music from from an online store in WMA (or iTunes AAC) you have the right to play it on the device you download it to a music players associated with that device.

It cannot be freely transferred to other digital devices.

This is to stop you lending/giving music to friends. But also stops to from moving the music to other devices within your home/car etc...
Microsoft charge an annual fee to device manufacturers to be able to play back tracks which have DRM.

Anything you rip yourself would typically not have these restrictions.

There's another thread active at the moment with a user having trouble playing back WMA files which are 800-900kbs VBR.

It seems hightly likely that you are having the same problem. And I'm thinking that the CPU in the SB just can't decode this much data, but I could be wrong. Would need someone from Slim to comment on what bit rate limits they've tested their decoders to.

I would expect the player to attempt to playback the stream with perhaps audio breakup, but maybe there are error messages being logged.

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-21, 13:55
And I'm thinking that the CPU in the SB just can't decode this much data, but I could be wrong.

It can play back FLAC at higher bitrates, and WAV even higher than FLAC.

David C
2007-01-22, 02:51
I think I found the problem. My files were burned tothe hard drive using WMA Pro. SB played WMA and WMA lossless fine but for some reason not WMA Pro. I am in the process of converting them to WMA and will slowly replace them with lossless

oreillymj
2007-01-22, 04:20
It can play back FLAC at higher bitrates, and WAV even higher than FLAC.

The bit rate for Flac and especially WAV is not equal to the CPU power required to decode and process more compressed formats such as MP3/OGG or WMA.

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-22, 07:47
David C: it does sound like WMA Pro inserted DRM without your knowledge. Apparently some versions do that by default?

The bit rate for Flac and especially WAV is not equal to the CPU power required to decode and process more compressed formats such as MP3/OGG or WMA.

Good point.

David C
2007-01-22, 08:31
thanks for the suggestion. If it did add DRM it in is there a way to remove it????

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-22, 08:34
thanks for the suggestion. If it did add DRM it in is there a way to remove it????

Don't think so, once it's been added.

However I believe there should be an option to disable it on new encodes.