PDA

View Full Version : US: senate bill threatens Internet Radio with DRM requirement

peterw
2007-01-19, 16:04
For my fellow US customers... last Thursday, US Senators Dianne Feinstein [D,CA], Lamar Alexander [R,TN], Joe Biden [D,DE] , and Lindsey Graham [R,SC] re-introduced a bill called the "PERFORM Act of 2007" [S.256] that, in the opinion of the EFF, would require all webcasters to use DRM with their music streams.

This seems to me very likely to
1) shut down a large number of webcasts
2) make the others incompatible with the relatively DRM-free Squeezebox and Transporter devices
3) reduce the Internet "airplay" that artists get, therefore reducing the SoundExchange royalties that they would have earned

The bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. It's worth noting that the bill's four co-sponsors represent both the Democratic and Republican parties, and all sit on the Judiciary Committee, representing one fifth of the committee's members.

EFF Alert:
https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=221

Here's the new/current judiciary committee roster -- if your state is represented, please seriously consider placing a call or sending an email.

Patrick J. Leahy
CHAIRMAN, D-VERMONT

Edward M. Kennedy
D-MASSACHUSETTS

Arlen Specter
RANKING MEMBER, R-PENNSYLVANIA

Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
D-DELAWARE

Orrin G. Hatch
R-UTAH

Herbert Kohl
D-WISCONSIN

Charles E. Grassley
R-IOWA

Dianne Feinstein
D-CALIFORNIA

Jon Kyl
R-ARIZONA

Russell D. Feingold
D-WISCONSIN

Jeff Sessions
R-ALABAMA

Charles E. Schumer
D-NEW YORK

Lindsey Graham
R-SOUTH CAROLINA

Richard J. Durbin
D-ILLINOIS

John Cornyn
R-TEXAS

Benjamin L. Cardin
D-MARYLAND

Sam Brownback
R-KANSAS

Sheldon Whitehouse
D-RHODE ISLAND

Tom Coburn
R-OKLAHOMA

totoro
2007-01-19, 17:34
I just sent an email to my senator (kennedy). Would people be interested in sharing what they wrote (or at least the gist), in order to gather ammunition? I would be willing to in a hearbeat.

regards,
Michael Mastroianni

tyler_durden
2007-01-19, 20:50
We have the government we deserve - the best government money can buy. If people would wise-up and quit voting these scumbags into office things might change. But they won't, so they won't.

TD

totoro
2007-01-19, 23:08
We have the government we deserve - the best government money can buy. If people would wise-up and quit voting these scumbags into office things might change. But they won't, so they won't.

TD

Well, yes. But it occasionally makes me feel better to scurry around and pretend it matters what I do. It's probably irrelevant, but it's better than senseless (and ineffective) violence or despair. YMMV.

cheers,
Michael

NauticusLX
2007-01-20, 16:11
God, I knew this Internet Radio thing was too good to be true. I'll amp up my "harvest" immediately. You say the Bill was re-introduced - which means the first Bill failed to pass. I wonder what the vote count was - that would indicate the liklihood of future success of the Bill.

aubuti
2007-01-20, 17:08
I'll amp up my "harvest" immediately.
Meaning what, exactly? Ripping internet radio streams?

Pale Blue Ego
2007-01-20, 18:59
DRM is a useless battle. If you can hear it, you can record it.

But that doesn't matter to these CongressCrooks. They're used to passing stupid and ineffective legislation. They don't care, they are happy to rubber-stamp anything Hollywood hands them, as long as their election coffers are filled.

You would think that someday they would realize that the internet is worldwide. If they do manage to lock down internet radio in America, that still leaves the rest of the world untainted.

ipggi
2007-01-23, 16:23
DRM is a useless battle. If you can hear it, you can record it.

But that doesn't matter to these CongressCrooks. They're used to passing stupid and ineffective legislation. They don't care, they are happy to rubber-stamp anything Hollywood hands them, as long as their election coffers are filled.

You would think that someday they would realize that the internet is worldwide. If they do manage to lock down internet radio in America, that still leaves the rest of the world untainted.

Ahh but you see the US also forces other countries to ratify laws that are similar to their own using near-blackmail techniques. A perfect example is the recent free-trade agreement they signed with my country Australia. Forcing the Australian government to pass DMCA like laws where there had been no desire for them previously.