PDA

View Full Version : Slim Server Protocol Demonstration

barrygordon
2007-01-19, 09:58
I have just finished the installation of a Sueezebox3 and am waiting for the delivery of a Transporter. In order to integrate these devices into my automated home, I had to investigate the SlimServer CLI protocol. For those interested in doing the same I have documented what I have done and posted the program that demonstrates the protocol on my web site (www.the-gordons.net). Seek and ye shall find.

The program implements a subset of the protocol and demonstrates its use by providing the ability to control a Slim Client on the network. It provides a method by which new protcol commands may be evaluated, and displays the data sent and received to aid in understanding what is going on. The program is written in VB6 for Windows and has been tested on Windows XP PRO SP2 but should run on any Windows system that supports VB6.

Feedback (constructive) appreciated

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-20, 13:19
This is pretty cool! I was wondering what to do with it until I dug into the .ini and changed the server IP, bingo...

Why does it have to turn the player as soon you switch to that player though?

barrygordon
2007-01-29, 17:18
I guess it is just the way I coded it. I will release the source to the code on request and you can do what you want. I wrote it as a learning tool for me to get started building the system to control the Transporter in my Home Theater. It was not meant to be a complete application, but if there is interest I can clean it all up and havesomething that will control slim devices from a PC with a nice gui. I have all the parts done for my Theater, and there it is fully "Productionized"

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-30, 09:55
I guess it is just the way I coded it. I will release the source to the code on request and you can do what you want.

You don't have to for me, I'm not a very good programmer and would have no idea what to do with it. That said, I know VB better than I know Perl, but even then it isn't much. At least VB seems logical to me, Perl is kind of all over the place with the modules and subroutines it calls - as a newbie I get confused regarding what's a command and what's a module name.

There is considerable interest elsewhere in a native, non-browser-based GUI for SlimServer though. Your creation so far is very fast and responsive and could be a good basis for something more extensive...

barrygordon
2007-01-30, 11:33
If I put together such an app, would you be willing to test it?

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-30, 11:46
If I put together such an app, would you be willing to test it?

I could, and you may find a lot more.

If you can dig your way through pages of flame wars, take a look here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31324 and here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32104 There are a lot of calls for a responsive, OS-native GUI.

But as you see, it would be no small undertaking. You would have users constantly asking for new features or "why doesn't it do X, why does it do Y?" as well as reporting bugs. So it's up to you what you wish to do at this point. Maintaining the whole thing yourself might not be a task you want to tackle. Someone has done it though, have you seen Moose? That's closed-source, single developer.

I'm not sure what your thoughts are on open-sourcing such a thing - as I indicated, maintaining it yourself would be a big task.