PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver 5.4.1 and iTunes 7.x

andyda
2007-01-18, 10:44
I have been using Slimserver 5.4.1 for a long, long time now, because it just keeps working.

I have one computer (a 2002 G4 iMac) decidated as just a music server. I am running OS X 10.3.x, and iTunes 4.x and Slimserver 5.4.1, because it just works.

Along comes AppleTV. I would like to use AppleTV for photos and video and keep using Slimserver for music (I have two squeezebox and one Slimp3) and it works well.

Question: Will Slimserver 5.4.1 work properly with OS X 10.4.x and iTunes 7.x?

Thanks,

Andy

andyda
2007-01-20, 22:35
Anybody??

If not, what version of 6.x is stable with OS X 10.4.x and iTunes 7.x? (I really don't want to use a version that uses MySQL, rather use iTunes to organize my music)

Thanks,

Andy

kdf
2007-01-20, 22:57
my guess, is that there is little chance it will work. Apple manages
to break library xml just a bit further with each new release. 7
wasn't as bad as some earlier versions, but 5.4.1 was long enough ago
to have some real hurdles. However, you always have the option to try
it and see just how much does work. Make sure you copy the iTunes
Music Library.xml file, and that you have an installer for the older
itunes that you currently use.

Failing that, 6.5.1 does work with iTunes 7.x. After all, if you are
into making the leap with osx and itunes, might as well be prepared to
make them all.

-kdf

On 20-Jan-07, at 9:35 PM, andyda wrote:

>
> Anybody??
>
> Is this the worng forum for this?
>
> Which is the proper one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy
>
>
> --
> andyda
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -
> andyda's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=268
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31824
>
>

ceejay
2007-01-21, 00:23
(I really don't want to use a version that uses MySQL, rather use iTunes to organize my music)

OK, I don't use itunes (much) and I've never used 5.4.1 (before my time!) but I'm puzzled by this comment... the mySQL versions of Slimserver surely don't "organise" music any more than earlier versions of slimserver? Certainly by comparison with earlier 6.x that SQLlite - its just a different database...

Ceejay

andyda
2007-01-21, 10:38
OK, I don't use itunes (much) and I've never used 5.4.1 (before my time!) but I'm puzzled by this comment... the mySQL versions of Slimserver surely don't "organise" music any more than earlier versions of slimserver? Certainly by comparison with earlier 6.x that SQLlite - its just a different database...

Ceejay

I must have assumend something that is not so about Slimserver 6.x and MySQL.

I kept installing new versions of Slimserver and adjusting my wireless network until I finally got something to work reliably for my insallation, and then moved on to other projects and just listend to my music never to messed with it again, and it has been fairly stable ever since.

Now along comes AppleTV. Darn! If I want to use the same server for both my music (Slimserver) and video and photo, I need to upgrade to iTunes 7.x.

I use iTunes 7.x on my other desktop and laptop, but I still use iTunes 4 on my music server. I still 10.3.9 installed on that computer, and all I use it for is streaming my music.

I read some of the postings on Simserver 6.x and briefely on the MySQL integration, and I have read some (little) on MySQl, but not enough to really understand the difference in operation (if any). I just assumed (yeah, I know all the assumed sayings, and they may apply here ;) ;) )

I guess I assumed (there's that word again) that the integration of Slimserver and iTunes and my music library would be much different using 6.5.1 than what I'm currenlty using.

If MySQL does not take over the organization of the music library from iTunes, what does it do?

What are the advantages of the MySQL orgainzation over previous methods used in Slimserver?

Is there a FAQ or something that explains all this somewhere?

Thanks ever so much for any help or guidance, I'm really just trying to understand so as to make the most informed choices and inplementaitons I can, with as little disruption as possible, yet, still make a change.

Andy

snarlydwarf
2007-01-21, 11:00
If MySQL does not take over the organization of the music library from iTunes, what does it do?

The same thing that SQLite did in prior versions.. provides the database that SlimServer directly uses.

What are the advantages of the MySQL orgainzation over previous methods used in Slimserver?

The biggest is that it is a genuine client-server relationship between Slimserver and the database. This helps things like the scanning process -- since one process is scanning and one is doing the userinterface and playing (and a third, MySQL, is running the database the two need to share), the operating system can "schedule" those three tasks all by itself. ie, MacOS is quite capable of running more than one program and can make sure that everything gets "fair" use of the processor... so 6.5's big benefit with MySQL is that a whole bunch of "let's make sure that everything is getting execution time" is passed onto the operating system.

It's still using iTunes in exactly the same way.