PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox (wirless bridge) and PS3

picmalkin
2007-01-18, 03:25
Hello,

I have a 20gb (wired only) PS3 and was wondering if i could use the wirless bridge feature on the squeezebox to allow me to connect the ps3 to the net.

Has anyone tried this and / or got any comments / helpful tips.

Thanks in advance

Richard

peter
2007-01-18, 03:57
picmalkin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a 20gb (wired only) PS3 and was wondering if i could use the
> wirless bridge feature on the squeezebox to allow me to connect the ps3
> to the net

Of course, that's what it's made for.

> Has anyone tried this and / or got any comments / helpful tips.
>

I tried it with a webcam and ethernet == ethernet, so I see no reason
why it shouldn't work on a PS3.

Regards,
Peter

oreillymj
2007-01-18, 06:11
Your experience with the PS3 might be different, but with the (older model) PS2's the NIC only became active when a Network enabled game was running.

The SB will only allow you to enable bridging if it can detect activity on the Ethernet port while doing the configuration. So to enable bridging, I would have to boot a game and startup network play, then try to configure bridging before the game timed out.

A small switch would have probably made things easier and removed the need for a cross-over cable.

picmalkin
2007-01-18, 07:30
Tries it when I went home at lunchtime - and it just worked! Don't know how.

Also worked on the 360 so v. happy at the moment - hope it works as well tonight / going forward.

Thanks everyone

thing-fish
2007-01-18, 10:44
Your experience with the PS3 might be different, but with the (older model) PS2's the NIC only became active when a Network enabled game was running.

The SB will only allow you to enable bridging if it can detect activity on the Ethernet port while doing the configuration. So to enable bridging, I would have to boot a game and startup network play, then try to configure bridging before the game timed out.

A small switch would have probably made things easier and removed the need for a cross-over cable.

I really appreciate that response. I just did get a Squeezebox and tried to use the bridging with an old PS/2 and could not get it to work. Went and bought the crossover cable and still couldn't get it to work. I think what you describe above is probably why. Kind of a bummer, I had hoped it was easier :(

peter
2007-01-18, 11:04
thing-fish wrote:
> oreillymj;171498 Wrote:
>
>> Your experience with the PS3 might be different, but with the (older
>> model) PS2's the NIC only became active when a Network enabled game was
>> running.
>>
>> The SB will only allow you to enable bridging if it can detect activity
>> on the Ethernet port while doing the configuration. So to enable
>> bridging, I would have to boot a game and startup network play, then
>> try to configure bridging before the game timed out.
>>
>> A small switch would have probably made things easier and removed the
>> need for a cross-over cable.
>>
>
> I really appreciate that response. I just did get a Squeezebox and
> tried to use the bridging with an old PS/2 and could not get it to
> work. Went and bought the crossover cable and still couldn't get it to
> work. I think what you describe above is probably why. Kind of a
> bummer, I had hoped it was easier :(
>

Couldn't you put a cheap switch in between the two? The SB will probably
detect that as an active connection and go into bridge mode.

Regards,
Peter

oreillymj
2007-01-18, 15:26
Yes a switch connected between the SB2/3 & PS2 should make the connection to the SB active all the time so bridging should work.

This is a PS2 problem as it's behaviour os switching on/off it's NIC is pretty unusual.

BTW You can get a cheap switch for about 20.
Actually DSL Warehouse have one for < 13

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=FS605

Mr_Smiley
2007-01-18, 20:02
It works just fine. I had my PS2 hooked up to the SB3 for a wireless conection. When I got my PS3 a couple of weeks ago I just pulled the plugs off the back of the PS2 and attached them to the PS3. Everything worked like a charm. I have a flawless internect connection through the PS3 and incredible download speed though the playstation online store.