PDA

View Full Version : Mac Flac and music management necessary?

yooper
2007-01-17, 17:43
I'm weening myself from iTunes, converting my files from ALAC to FLAC, and wonder if I should use a music manager to organize my collection? is it even necessary? Is there a music manager available to manage FLAC on a Mac?

An example, I have 6 Aerosmith CD's. iTunes will put all CD's in a within one Aerosmith folder, then labeling each CD.

Is this important?

Thanks,

Mark

sting
2007-03-10, 14:56
I'm weening myself from iTunes, converting my files from ALAC to FLAC, and wonder if I should use a music manager to organize my collection? is it even necessary? Is there a music manager available to manage FLAC on a Mac?

An example, I have 6 Aerosmith CD's. iTunes will put all CD's in a within one Aerosmith folder, then labeling each CD.

Is this important?

Thanks,

Mark
Any particular reasons that you're moving away from iTunes? I have similar setup as yours - MacMini, Transporter, AVM50, etc. All AIFF files though.

yooper
2007-03-11, 15:48
Well, I went back and forth for a while deciding what I wanted to do.

For starters, this biggest disadvantage with having flac on a Mac, is the software (adding album art and tagging) needed to work with FLAC is VERY limited.

From what I found, and after much research, I can count on one hand what is available for FLAC, while dozens of programs exist to work with iTunes and ALAC/mp3. Many programs that are good are tied directly to iTunes, and you can't link an external hard drive.

That said, FLAC is open source, no extra transcoding since FLAC is a native format to Slimserver (not a big deal, but one less thing to go wrong), and the ability to FF-RW.

One issue I noticed with iTunes ALAC files-when I encoded ALAC to FLAC, I had many errors in tags. Anotherwords, they worked in iTunes, but Slimserver didn't see them, and neither did Media Rage.

To me, it seems more fool proof to not let iTunes play with tags and album art. I prefer to do it manually using Media Rage to check tags and manually add album art. If it is checked and correct(ed) in Media rage, it is 100% accurate within Slimserver.

Of course, this is simply my opinion and preference. It appears most Mac users prefer iTunes, as it is quick, simple to work with, and usually problem free.

I'll really give myself a pat on the back if Apple supports Flac in Leopard. Then I'm all set (wishful thinking).