PDA

View Full Version : Faster Access to new MP3s or just play a file not in the archive instantly

analographi
2007-01-16, 06:54
Hi
I love the squeezi, but if I want fast access to a song I just ripped or downloaded and do want it to play over the SB I alway have to add it to the library (but maybe I just want to listen to it one time, and/or it isn't tagged so far) then it always takes quite a while till the library is rescanned and so on...

Imagine the Situation... I have the Squeezbox in a room where I'm sitting with my notebook with wireless. I download a song, want to listen to it, but my laptop has shitty speakers and I can not connect it to the stereo because it's to far away and I have no cable.

I have this song and I just want to listen to it one time before I decide to add it to the library or not.

I have my laptop, connection to the slimserver and my SB running... Is there a way I can simple and fast listen to the song on my SB?

Thanks

jeffluckett
2007-01-16, 06:55
Use the Browse -> Folders functionality.

This method gives you instant access AND adds the tracks to your library without a rescan.

peter
2007-01-16, 07:10
jeffluckett wrote:
> Use the Browse -> Folders functionality.
>
> This method gives you instant access AND adds the tracks to your
> library without a rescan.
>

Amazing, isn't it. It's all I ever use to play my tunes, but many people
seem to have trouble finding it.

Regards,
Peter

analographi
2007-01-16, 07:28
great!

Never saw it, was blind to it, since I'm so much into tagged music and the album, artist, title thing :-)

when does it add them? If I have it in a temp folder and play it... it's not then added, is it?

jeffluckett
2007-01-16, 07:32
great!

Never saw it, was blind to it, since I'm so much into tagged music and the album, artist, title thing :-)

when does it add them? If I have it in a temp folder and play it... it's not then added, is it?

I believe it adds it to the library the moment you browse the folder and it finds unrecognized files.

So, if you were to play it out of a temp folder, it would add the track at that location. If you were to then move the file, and then later browse to the new location or do a "New Music" scan ... SlimServer would think you had that track in both locations.

What I usually do when I'm adding new tracks to my library is something like what you want to do, then schedule a complete rescan to happen overnight.

That way you can have the convenience of "sampling" new tracks out of your temp directory, but then your library gets itself squared away while you sleep.

analographi
2007-01-16, 07:42
All clear now
thank you very much for your help :-)

maggior
2007-01-16, 10:39
Note that the option is NOT there if you have SlimServer configured to look for music only in iTunes and have the music folder field blank. I ran into this myself and it is not obvious. I thought I was going nuts because I couldn't find the option.

Rich

JJZolx
2007-01-16, 13:00
I have this song and I just want to listen to it one time before I decide to add it to the library or not.

I have my laptop, connection to the slimserver and my SB running... Is there a way I can simple and fast listen to the song on my SB?

Like others have mentioned, the browse Music Folder method is the quickest way to get the song added to the library and enable you to play it.

But SlimServer has no means of listening to a song without first adding it to your library. When you're done listening, it will be stuck in the library. If you delete the song, you'll need to run a rescan to delete that track. There's no 'temporary' or one-time music.