PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Severe Clipping Distortion

Matt McGrath
2007-01-15, 13:19
Just bought my v3 Squeezebox and after 3 days of happiness, tonight I had a weird thing happen.

Suddenly, in the midst of playing a music file from my iBook (host to the slimserver software and to my iTunes music library), the sound output became subject to severe clipping distortion. A bit like what happens when the batteries run out on your guitar effeects box.

I got the same distortion accessing internet radio over squeezenetwork (ie keeping the iBook out of the loop). And the remote control volume control for the squeezebox had no effect at all on the sound (either loudness or distortion) although the "thermometer" display showed it attenuating as usual.

Putting the unit in and out of standby didn't help. In the end I had to disconnect and reconnect the power supply to the squeezebox and that fixed it.

I might tolerate this sort of "reboot" glitch in, say, a modem. But not is something which has to work in my hifi. Apart from anything else it could munge the tweeters on my Meridian active speakers. I've emailed slim tech support in preparation for posting the unit back to the retailer but as they've all gone home now I thought I'd just check to see if anyone else had had this problem. I did a search on the forum and it appears not, but let's see. Anyone suffered this one?

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-15, 14:45
When I have the occasional weirdness that affects audio output, it's resolved by reprogramming Xilinx - press and hold "1" on the remote while unplugging and replugging in the power.

And when I say occasional, I mean once or twice in the 18 months I've had it. This is not a regular occurance and you should not expect it to be.

If it does happen with any regularity, then yes, do consider returning it.

BTW I have not had the exact problem you experienced.

Matt McGrath
2007-01-15, 17:02
Thanks Mark.

What do you mean by "reprogramming Xilinx", please? I googled it and it seems to be a chip manufacturer - is it the chip which sits in the squeezebox and does the digital signal processing? And so this is something separate from the reset achieved by repluging in the power whilst holding down the + button which is mentioned in the user handbook?

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-15, 21:21
What do you mean by "reprogramming Xilinx", please?

[looks around the room] Me? I thought you knew. ;-)

I assume it's the CPLD which is sometimes mentioned. See here: http://www.slimdevices.com/photos/inside_squeezebox2/, last photo. I believe it contains the SlimDSP - all the codecs. At any rate, it appears to be the chip after the CPU but before the DAC, which does a good portion of the audio decoding and processing.

CPLD stands for "complex programmable logic device" - I would assume it contains the SlimDSP which can be rewritten by changing the firmware. Which is why the SB2/SBv3/Transporter is so flexible, there's no hard-wired codec chip, it can be reprogrammed. Unlike the SB1 and SliMP3.

I googled it and it seems to be a chip manufacturer - is it the chip which sits in the squeezebox and does the digital signal processing?

Yeah, let's go with that. ;-)

And so this is something separate from the reset achieved by repluging in the power whilst holding down the + button which is mentioned in the user handbook?

I would assume the Xilinx gets reprogrammed with a reset as well, but the advantage of reprogramming the Xilinx only is that it clears any audio aberrations while preserving your networking settings - it's a pain to re-enter that 63-character WPA passphrase!

If you try it you will literally see "Reprogramming Xilinx" on bootup.

NauticusLX
2007-01-20, 16:32
Matt, the same thing happened to me about 2 weeks after I bought it. I did notice the problem went away when I turned the volume down on the SB itself. I contacted support via email, not the forum, and they told me to unplug/replug the device with the "1" pressed in, which fixed the sound - something to do with the sound card, support told me. About a week later I wasn't getting any sound at all, so just unplugged/replugged the device, which worked. Simultaneous pressing of the "1" key during replug may not be necessary, it seems. If it happens more than once a month I'll probably ask for an exchange. Another time I noticed the display went blank in the middle of a song, but the song kept playing, and the display came back up after about 20 seconds. Spooky.

Ben Sandee
2007-01-20, 18:50
On 1/20/07, NauticusLX <
NauticusLX.2kqfwb1169336101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Another time I noticed the display went blank in the middle of a song,
> but the song kept playing, and the display came back up after about 20
> seconds. Spooky.

Definitely consider filing suit.

Ben

haunyack
2007-01-21, 05:22
On 1/20/07, NauticusLX <
NauticusLX.2kqfwb1169336101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Another time I noticed the display went blank in the middle of a song,
> but the song kept playing, and the display came back up after about 20
> seconds. Spooky.

Definitely consider filing suit.

Ben

Still badgering the poor fellow huh?
It's just this kind of relentless flaming that some members in these forums seem to enjoy.
Children behave.

Robin Bowes
2007-01-21, 08:39
haunyack wrote:
> Ben Sandee;172473 Wrote:
>> On 1/20/07, NauticusLX <
>> NauticusLX.2kqfwb1169336101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Another time I noticed the display went blank in the middle of a
>> song,
>>> but the song kept playing, and the display came back up after about