PDA

View Full Version : Universal remote using Nokia tablet + Squeezebox

makingmark
2007-01-14, 21:08
Before anyone gets too excited, this is an idea, not a solution ;)

I know there's been work on using a Nokia 770/800 as a remote for Slim Server & Squeezeboxen. And I know there are plug ins to allow the Squeezeboxen to control othe devices. And I've heard suggestion of the idea of using the Nokia as a universal remote, except it lacks an IR emitter.

Well, how about if you could use the Nokia to control everything (Squeezebox and other IR-receiving appliances) by having the Squeezeboxen to emit the IR?

Thought of this while looking at the Harmony 1000 universal remote, which while having a nice screen, won't let me browse SlimServer music. Oh wait, you got bought by Logitech...maybe there'll be a Harmonny 1000SB?

SuperQ
2007-01-14, 21:33
Before anyone gets too excited, this is an idea, not a solution ;)

I know there's been work on using a Nokia 770/800 as a remote for Slim Server & Squeezeboxen. And I know there are plug ins to allow the Squeezeboxen to control othe devices. And I've heard suggestion of the idea of using the Nokia as a universal remote, except it lacks an IR emitter.

Well, how about if you could use the Nokia to control everything (Squeezebox and other IR-receiving appliances) by having the Squeezeboxen to emit the IR?

Thought of this while looking at the Harmony 1000 universal remote, which while having a nice screen, won't let me browse SlimServer music. Oh wait, you got bought by Logitech...maybe there'll be a Harmonny 1000SB?

I've been thinking about adding support to the IR blaster plugin to allow an API to send arbitrary IR commands. I want to be able to use my snapstream firefly to send commands to my stereo via my squeezebox's IR Blaster.

I also have a 770, hrm.. not a bad idea.. I thought about buying the harmony 890.. but it's just too expensive to not have bi-directional data. Also, every review says the windows setup software sucks.. and I don't use windows.. ;)

4mula1
2007-01-15, 06:14
I could go for something like that. It might be a trick to find a spot for the IR blaster itself, but it would be cool to control my setup with the N800. That would be really cool.

I might have to plop down a few bucks for the IR blaster and see what I can do with it...

TechHome
2007-01-15, 08:47
I use the IR blaster plugin to turn a Yamaha receiver on & off with the SB2. It works equally well with the squeezbox remote as it does via the web interface, including the 770 as controller. This control enables having the equipment in a head-end equipment closet type installation. One limit I have with the Yamaha is that I do not have discrete IR codes for "On" and "standby". The issue is that the SB and receiver power can and does get out-of-phase. Other receivers (Denon, et al) have discrete IR codes, that will avert this issue.

Note that in the custom-installer arena, equipment control via RS-232 or IP is greatly preferred over IR. The fact that the Transporter has RS-232 makes it a much more attractive product for placing it under the control of automation systems such as Crestron & AMX...but it also opens the door to a Linux based control system with Slimserver and the Transporter acting as the IP to IR and IP to RS-232 bridge.

TechHome

SuperQ
2007-01-15, 10:34
I use the IR blaster plugin to turn a Yamaha receiver on & off with the SB2. It works equally well with the squeezbox remote as it does via the web interface, including the 770 as controller. This control enables having the equipment in a head-end equipment closet type installation. One limit I have with the Yamaha is that I do not have discrete IR codes for "On" and "standby". The issue is that the SB and receiver power can and does get out-of-phase. Other receivers (Denon, et al) have discrete IR codes, that will avert this issue.

Note that in the custom-installer arena, equipment control via RS-232 or IP is greatly preferred over IR. The fact that the Transporter has RS-232 makes it a much more attractive product for placing it under the control of automation systems such as Crestron & AMX...but it also opens the door to a Linux based control system with Slimserver and the Transporter acting as the IP to IR and IP to RS-232 bridge.

TechHome

What Yamaha do you have? Mine (RX-V995a) has codes for On and Standby.

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-15, 12:01
I might have to plop down a few bucks for the IR blaster and see what I can do with it...

If your receiver/ pre/pro /integrated amp has an IR receiver line in, all you need is a 1/8" (3.5 mm) mono or stereo cable:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?IRBlasterDirectLink

TechHome
2007-01-15, 14:05
What Yamaha do you have? Mine (RX-V995a) has codes for On and Standby.Cool, I'd love to find the proper codes for my receiver (an old RX-530), especially if they include discrete on/standby codes. Any tips on tracking yamaha IR codes down?.

TechHome

SuperQ
2007-01-15, 23:40
Cool, I'd love to find the proper codes for my receiver (an old RX-530), especially if they include discrete on/standby codes. Any tips on tracking yamaha IR codes down?.

TechHome

oh.. erg.. I did some searching, and wasn't able to find discrete on/standby codes for that one :( looks like only newer RX-V* support that.

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-16, 08:59
Cool, I'd love to find the proper codes for my receiver (an old RX-530), especially if they include discrete on/standby codes. Any tips on tracking yamaha IR codes down?.

TechHome

IR Blaster comes with a learning function. Unfortunately this operates off your existing remote control, so if that doesn't send discrete on/standby codes, then...?

TechHome
2007-01-16, 14:17
Thanks guys for your help. I searched as well, but to no avail. The existing Yamaha remote has a toggle on-off button, as most do. This does not mean that my receiver does not accept discrete codes, only that they weren't implemented in the remote. Next time I'm fiddling with the setup, I'll swap the Yammie for a newwer Denon that has discrete on-off codes.

TechHome

SuperQ
2007-01-16, 22:56
Thanks guys for your help. I searched as well, but to no avail. The existing Yamaha remote has a toggle on-off button, as most do. This does not mean that my receiver does not accept discrete codes, only that they weren't implemented in the remote. Next time I'm fiddling with the setup, I'll swap the Yammie for a newwer Denon that has discrete on-off codes.

TechHome

sometimes devices have undocumented discrete codes that are not the remote (may be on optional remotes by vendor) You could try adding something like the remote codes for the RX-V series that do have discrete codes and trying it out.

fcm4711
2007-01-19, 05:20
SuperQ

I've been thinking about adding support to the IR blaster plugin to allow an API to send arbitrary IR commands.

This is already in place. :) You can send any IR commands defined in a .conf file via the command line interface of SlimServer using the following command: <player> irblaster send <device> <button>

Cheers
Felix

RaK
2007-11-01, 15:34
sometimes devices have undocumented discrete codes that are not the remote (may be on optional remotes by vendor) You could try adding something like the remote codes for the RX-V series that do have discrete codes and trying it out.

Have you tried that one?
http://www.yamaha-service.de/

For the RX-V550 their is a list with all discrete IR Codes in the download area.

Bizarroterl
2007-11-02, 07:59
If there aren't discrete codes you can often simulate off/on by using other keys. For DVD/CD players often the play button will turn them on so off becomes play+standby and on is play or play+standby+play. For receivers/preamps selecting the input may turn them on so selectinput+standby becomes off and selectinput or selectinput+standby+selectinput becomes on.

You can get discrete and other codes from remotecentral.com's file download section.