PDA

View Full Version : tagging question



ngkelly75
2007-01-12, 13:30
My new SB3 arrived recently and is living up to expectations.. Ripping & tagging on windows, copying files to small, quiet Compaq Evo running Ubuntu. Wireless runs without problems.

I've used mp3tag without problems for slimserver. For the car, I recently picked up an Archos PMA400. I want to be able to copy music directly from my SlimServer library to the PMA. This is fine except some albums are not handled well by the PMA. Problems are:

1. mp3tag appears to encode tag info (track title etc) in UniCode. No problem for SS but the PMA displays a bunch of squares where the song info should appear. If I use another tool to encode the tags as ANSI, I can resolve this issue.
2. Worse though, is that for certain albums, the PMA insists on sorting songs alphabetically rather than by track (despite the fact that the Track tag is correctly set AND the filename has a 2-digit track prefix e.g. "01 - name of song".

I've reached the stage where I'm looking at mp3 differences in a hex editor..

Before I waste any more time, has anybody come across something like this? Is there a tagging tool that's more "low-level" i.e. somewhere between a hex editor and mp3tag? If there is I might be able to spot the "feature" of certain mp3s that causes this annoying song sorting..

Thanks!

Ur[s]uS
2007-01-13, 16:23
My new SB3 arrived recently and is living up to expectations.. Ripping & tagging on windows, copying files to small, quiet Compaq Evo running Ubuntu. Wireless runs without problems.

I've used mp3tag without problems for slimserver. For the car, I recently picked up an Archos PMA400. I want to be able to copy music directly from my SlimServer library to the PMA. This is fine except some albums are not handled well by the PMA. Problems are:

1. mp3tag appears to encode tag info (track title etc) in UniCode. No problem for SS but the PMA displays a bunch of squares where the song info should appear. If I use another tool to encode the tags as ANSI, I can resolve this issue.
2. Worse though, is that for certain albums, the PMA insists on sorting songs alphabetically rather than by track (despite the fact that the Track tag is correctly set AND the filename has a 2-digit track prefix e.g. "01 - name of song".

I've reached the stage where I'm looking at mp3 differences in a hex editor..

Before I waste any more time, has anybody come across something like this? Is there a tagging tool that's more "low-level" i.e. somewhere between a hex editor and mp3tag? If there is I might be able to spot the "feature" of certain mp3s that causes this annoying song sorting..

Thanks!

Check out CNet review of PMA430:
"We also found that the PMA430 seemed to ignore track-number ID3 tags; if you want albums to play in the correct order, you have to prefix the filenames accordingly."
http://reviews.cnet.com/Archos_Pocket_Media_Assistant_PMA430/4505-6499_7-31286907.html

You are not alone. Try Tag & Rename or The Godfather for tag editing. Also, with MP3Tag, suggest changing options around - to remove all tags first and then add only ID3v1 (might match your PMA better than v2? (Or vice versa.)

ngkelly75
2007-01-14, 05:10
Thanks for the reply.. Your suggestion about removing the v1 or v2 tags worked! I used ID3-TagIt which I remembered is useful when you want to view tag info according to the different versions in the file.. It also has a simple "Remove v2.3" option.. With just the v1, the PMA behaves itself and I don't lose any SlimServer functionality (I store album art using cover.jpg as opposed to tags inside songs..). I will only need to remove v2.3 tags for the "problem" albums on the Archos.

Archos seems to support v2.3 but has some bug/feature that I can't pinpoint -- in this case the v1 tags are good enough.

joek
2007-01-14, 06:06
I am having similar problems with a recently purchased Samsung T9 mp3 player. Slimserver is happy with my tagging, however the T9 is very very picky.

I am using MP3Tag v2.37a and have been generally happy with it. However, the T9 displays tracks alphabetically (instead of by track #) when using ID3 v2.3 tags written by MP3Tag.

Not sure which is to blame, but I'll guess the T9. When using the v2.3 tags written by EAC and lame, then all is okay on the T9.

I am surprised how poorly some of these portable mp3 players are implemented. Slimserver and SB3 spoiled me.