PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeNetwork through SlimServer plugin?

SingleTrack
2007-01-12, 10:38
Is there any way to access the SqueezeNetwork through a Slimserver plugin? I use a number of SlimServer plugins that are not available when I use SqueezeNetwork (eg Weather and some of the scrolling plugins).

Is there a reason why this can't be done?

andyg
2007-01-12, 10:53
On Jan 12, 2007, at 12:38 PM, SingleTrack wrote:

>
> Is there any way to access the SqueezeNetwork through a Slimserver
> plugin? I use a number of SlimServer plugins that are not available
> when I use SqueezeNetwork (eg Weather and some of the scrolling
> plugins).
>
> Is there a reason why this can't be done?

This is one of the things we plan to do for SlimServer 7.

byKnight
2007-01-12, 13:27
On Jan 12, 2007, at 12:38 PM, SingleTrack wrote:

>
> Is there any way to access the SqueezeNetwork through a Slimserver
> plugin? I use a number of SlimServer plugins that are not available
> when I use SqueezeNetwork (eg Weather and some of the scrolling
> plugins).
>
> Is there a reason why this can't be done?

This is one of the things we plan to do for SlimServer 7.

YES!

My wife's grown fed up using our SB3s because she can never find what she's looking for on them. Invariably it's because she's looking for something that's on SqueezeNetwork (e.g., one of our Pandora stations) when the SB3 is talking to SlimServer.

She's sick and tired of me reminding her to sign on to SqueezeNetwork first.

"Why can't it just *WORK*?!?!?!!!!" she sighs.

Indeed.

SingleTrack
2007-01-12, 15:56
GREAT NEWS!

My wife says exactly the same thing. She is always getting lost between the two modes. Integrating the two will ease the pain.

unibox
2007-01-13, 06:41
"Why can't it just *WORK*?!?!?!!!!" she sighs.

Hah, exactly the same here mate.
And in fact she does have a point!
When is Silmserver 7 due?

dc11ab
2007-01-14, 03:33
I have to add to list of folks with a wife who have noticed and complained about the lack of SN and SS integration. How odd. It seems like a particular (fe)male design flaw factor ;)

gweempose
2007-01-16, 22:28
I use a number of SlimServer plugins that are not available when I use SqueezeNetwork (eg Weather and some of the scrolling plugins).This is my main complaint as well. I love the weather screensaver, and it's really annoying to have to log off SqueezeNetwork before turning off my Squeezebox.

tamanaco
2007-01-17, 07:00
Maybe I'm missing something very obvious, but why can't Slim Devices implement a feature in the SB3 firmware to recognize that the Slimserver is not available after a user-defined time out and switch to the SqueezeNetwork automatically? I do not keep my Slimserver on all of the time and have to find the remote to sign on to the SN whenever I shutdown my server. I was wondering if the following two settings could be implemented in the SB.

1)Manual - As it currently works
2)Automatic - If Slimserver/Slimnetwork is not available in x time switch to SN/SS. This option would also allow one to select either the SS or SN as the "Primary" connection. (Meaning that if the Slimserver is the primary connection and it times out connect to the SN, but every once in a while (user-defined) check to see if the Slimserver is available and switch back - Vise versa if the SN is the primary connection)

I understand that this feature might interrupt a song/program in progress in the secondary conection, but if I'm given the above options then "I" can decide to switch to the "manual" option.

A little screen icon showing weather I'm connected to the SS or SN would also help.

A while back I questioned why some of these Weather/Sport Scores/Stock Ticker "Screensaver" plug-ins can not be implemented in the SN. I already have a VCR and DVR with LEDs showing me the time. As mentioned here my wife would also welcome a "passthru" to SN plug-in in the SS to seamlessly connect to the SN.

Quoting the wife... "ON is ON why do I have to care about Slim this or Squeeze that?"

mherger
2007-01-17, 08:46
> Maybe I'm missing something very obvious, but why can't Slim Devices
> implement a feature in the SB3 firmware to recognize that the
> Slimserver is not available after a user-defined time out and switch to
> the SqueezeNetwork automatically?

There are quite a few feature requests by Sean Adams himself which might
cover this:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&field0-0-0=product&type0-0-0=substring&value0-0-0=easier&field0-0-1=component&type0-0-1=substring&value0-0-1=easier&field0-0-2=short_desc&type0-0-2=substring&value0-0-2=easier&field0-0-3=status_whiteboard&type0-0-3=substring&value0-0-3=easier

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR