PDA

View Full Version : Help - Nokia 770 SSH

TechHome
2007-01-10, 23:22
I have slimserver running on a WindowsXP box. Today, I got OpenSSH installed and configured on the slimserver machine and was able to establish tunnels to softsqueeze on my work PC. Cool, I am now able to listen to music on my home slimserver machine from my office with only port 22 opened.

Now, I'd like to be able to use my Nokia 770 as an SSH client, to remotely control slimserver and act as a playback device. I followed the directions on the Maemo.org Wiki and was able to install Xterm, get root access and install SSH. I was able to SSH in to the 770 and change the root password. But, I'm not a Linux guy and I haven't a clue how to configure the SSH client on the 770 to work with slimserver. Any help will be appreciated.

TechHome
Annapolis, MD

TechHome
2007-01-12, 11:07
Just in-case others are interested in this, I have made progress toward the end goal of convenient & secure Internet remote streaming to the Nokia 770.

To recap, I've been fiddling with Internet remote streaming from my home WinXP slimserver box to my work WinXP PC. I've been making progress in small steps:

1. Installed & configured DynDNS on the slimserver machine.
2. On my home router/gateway, I forwarded port 22 to the slimserver machine; also disabled port forwards on 9000 & 3483.
3. Installed & configured OpenSSH on the slimserver machine.
4. Installed and configured Putty on my work machine - logged in an xterm session to the home PC by pointing to my DynDNS domain name.
5. Re-established a Putty session but this time I forwarded ports 9000 & 3483 to my slimserver machine. Successfully ran Softsqueeze, pointed to localhost. Control via touch skin in firefox "http://localhost:9000/touch".
6. Closed putty and re-configured the Softsqueeze SSH client; following Softsqueeze settings worked:
* Basic Tab-Slimserver Hostname=<DynDNS domain name>
* SSH Tab-SSH Server=[ On slimserver ]
* SSH Tab-SSH port=22
* SSH Tab-SSH username=<login name on WinXP slimserver box>
* SSH Tab-SSH password=<password for above user account>
* SSH Tab-Store password - checked
Softsqueeze now works without Putty, once softsqueeze has established the SSH tunnels, I can open the touch skin on firefox "http://localhost:9000/touch" Since the password is stored, launching a secure remote stream to softsqueeze involves only, launching softsqueeze, then hitting return twice to accept the security notifications. I use the XM radio plugin and by configuring slimserver w/ the LAME mp3 encoder & setting bitrate limiting, XM works as well.
7. Following the info on the Maemo.org wiki, I got xterm & OpenSSH installed on the 770 and was able to log-in to the 770 from my work PC via Putty.
8. Thru searching + trial & error, I've almost reached my end goal, as follows:
* open xterm on the 770
* enter "ssh -L 9000:localhost:9000 <slimserverPC_username>@<DynDNS_domain>"
* enter password, when prompted, leave xterm session open
* open the touch skin "localhost:9000/touch"
* open stream in 770 media player "localhost:9000/stream.mp3"
Cool, I can now stream from my home slimserver to my 770 tied in to WiFi at the corner Starbucks.
9. Next step: I need to make this process convenient, i.e. establish SSH tunnels via one-tap on a shortcut icon. I think if I am able to import a key from the server to the 770, the password entry will be eliminated, then I'll only need to figure out how to create a shortcut to establish the SSH tunnels.

TechHome
Annapolis

4mula1
2007-01-12, 15:47
Do you have a link to the OpenSSH distro? There doesn't seem to be a link at maemo.org and I don't know what to get at openssh.org.

Thanks

TechHome
2007-01-12, 17:11
Do you have a link to the OpenSSH distro? There doesn't seem to be a link at maemo.org and I don't know what to get at openssh.org.

Thanks
I used this guide: https://maemo.org/maemowiki/InstallSsh2006
to complete step 3, I googled for "becomeroot" and had to search for how to use it once I found it. SSH client & server get installed in step 5 from within your xterm session.

TechHome

4mula1
2007-01-14, 08:24
Thanks, got it working on my N800. The biggest confusion I had was about software repositories and how to add them. After that it was quite easy to do.