PDA

View Full Version : How do i connect A NAS to a PC ?

dgstrat
2007-01-10, 18:07
Hi there,

Thinking about getting a NAS for all my music files. i currently am running a pc tower with a USB hookup to an external drive for my music files. The PC is wired to my router and the Squeezebox runs wirelessly. I basically want the NAS to replace the external HD. I can't connect the NAS via USB, can I? What are my options? Thanks.

SteveEast
2007-01-10, 18:26
NAS is Network Attached Storage. You'd connect it to your router with an Ethernet cable in the same way your PC is attached.

Steve.

dgstrat
2007-01-10, 18:40
NAS is Network Attached Storage. You'd connect it to your router with an Ethernet cable in the same way your PC is attached.

Steve.

No connection necessary to the PC?

SteveEast
2007-01-10, 19:30
Only indirectly, via Ethernet and your router. Typically you administer them through their web interface.

Steve.

dgstrat
2007-01-10, 20:21
Only indirectly, via Ethernet and your router. Typically you administer them through their web interface.

Steve.

Sorry, not sure what this means

SteveEast
2007-01-10, 20:32
You don't connect anything between the PC and the NAS. Both the PC and the NAS would be connected to your router using Ethernet cable.

If you have to do any configuration of the NAS then it would usually be done with a browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox.

The NAS would appear under "My Network Places" when using Windows Explorer.

If you only have 1 PC, then a NAS might be overkill for you - another USB attached drive might be a better option.

Steve.

JJZolx
2007-01-10, 20:51
You don't. NAS means "_NETWORK_ Attached Storage". You connect it to your local area network. This is in contrast with devices dubbed "Direct Attached Storage". An NAS is essentially a specialized device that plays the role of a simple network file server.

The advantages of NAS are:

- easy to add storage capacity to your _network_
- can be accessed by any computer on the network

In comparison to DAS, though, there can be some disadvantages (which should not apply to a device storing music files)

- slower read/write access than DAS

Given that the connection is through the network, it helps to have a fast network. You want at least 100 Mbps Ethernet, and if the computers and devices support it, and are fast enough to take advantage of it, Gigabit Ethernet can be beneficial in speeding file reads and writes.

dgstrat
2007-01-10, 21:47
You don't connect anything between the PC and the NAS. Both the PC and the NAS would be connected to your router using Ethernet cable.

If you have to do any configuration of the NAS then it would usually be done with a browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox.

If you only have 1 PC, then a NAS might be overkill for you - another USB attached drive might be a better option.

Steve.

I'm running a PC, Laptop and Squeezebox from my router. The reason i liked the Nas is the Raid capability and the hot swappable function. It probably is overkill for me, though. Any alternate ideas? I've got about 1700 plus cd's and I want to back everything up. Thanks in advance.

pfarrell
2007-01-10, 22:05
dgstrat wrote:
> I'm running a PC, Laptop and Squeezebox from my router. The reason i
> liked the Nas is the Raid capability and the hot swappable function.
> It probably is overkill for me, though. Any alternate ideas? I've got
> about 1700 plus cd's and I want to back everything up.

First problem, RAID is not backup. Search the forums, there have been
many discussion of this.

You have to make backups, even with Raid, so plan on it.

1700 CDs in FLAC will fit on one of the new 1TB drives.
Or on a fair number of burned DVDs.

Use the search.

For years, my SlimServer runs on random computers that are too slow to
be used for real work. They live in the basement and are ignored.
I don't know how long the first one lasted, it was an ancient P2-500.
The second one ran 530+ days of constant usage, until the root disk
failed. Neither computer cost me anything. YMMV

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

JJZolx
2007-01-10, 22:06
I'm running a PC, Laptop and Squeezebox from my router. The reason i liked the Nas is the Raid capability and the hot swappable function. It probably is overkill for me, though. Any alternate ideas? I've got about 1700 plus cd's and I want to back everything up. Thanks in advance.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend RAID for music storage. The most important thing is to have a backup. Even with RAID storage, you need a backup. I would place a couple of large drives in the PC (assuming you're using it to run SlimServer), then use external drives for backup. If the internal drive(s) die, then you can run SlimServer using the external backup drive until you can get a replacement.

I'd estimate 1700s CD to require about 566 GB of storage at 0.33 per CD. That's a very rough guess - my 1400 CDs require about 0.3 GB per CD, but others will be more, depending on the type of music. So one 750 GB drive or two 400 GB drives will cover you with a decent amount of room to spare. Plan on the same for your external USB/Firewire backup drives. This will be a lot cheaper than an NAS.

If you don't have room or connections available in the PC, then you might want to buy or build a machine to be used as a dedicated SlimServer. Place the operating system on a separate, small drive, say an 80GB, then add storage drives as above. This is _still_ cheaper than an NAS with RAID and will free up the other PC. If you're really stuck on RAID, then you can always mirror (RAID1) the storage drives in the dedicated server.

CCRDude
2007-01-11, 00:47
RAID allows to combine harddisks (well, some Microsoft does allow that as well, but... :D ) - might be an advantage since slightly smaller drives are cheaper (for the price of one of the mentioned new 1TB drives, you would probably get three 500GB ones ;) ). I agree that its not replacing a real backup though, but its a step, and RAID 5 doesn't take as much space as RAID 1.

Regarding the overkill and price factor: check how much power your PC consumes and how much your desired NAS would (since you would probably keep it up 24/7 just for that). In Germany, after about two years (depends on the model of course) what a NAS saved in power consumption will start to be more than you paid for it upfront.

SteveEast
2007-01-11, 08:22

Do you currently have all your CDs ripped to that external USB drive you mentioned?

Steve.

dgstrat
2007-01-11, 09:01
Do you currently have all your CDs ripped to that external USB drive you mentioned?

Steve.

No not enough room and I've just begun ripping . I'm all the way up to the letter "C" ha ha . I'm deciding if I just want to replace my internal drives with larger ones (maybe 2 400 gig drives) and just back them up externally.

SteveEast
2007-01-11, 09:10
The external backup is a really good idea!

Steve.

dgstrat
2007-01-11, 09:13
Another newbie question. I'm running Itunes using Apple Lossless. What happens when I fill up one HD? Will I be able to have my library across 2 locations? Maybe I'll have to change destination , then add the files from the original location back to the Itunes library.

SteveEast
2007-01-11, 13:48
Good question, iTunes does make it tougher. I use iTunes myself, but I've never looked at having it support multiple hard drives.

I think you'll use iTunes' advanced preferences to change the iTunes Music Folder location. Then you *wont* consolidate the library because that would copy all the stuff from the original drive to the new drive. But, as I say, I've never done this.

This URL:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748

tells you how to move your music to a new location - if you avoid the consolidate, I think you'll be fine. Effectively, the iTunes Music Folder location just tells iTunes where to place new music - there's an XML file that has the actual path to each song.

You might want to browse the iTunes support forums as well.

Steve.

Limitless
2008-02-28, 11:41

Steve.

Can I use my LaCie external hardrive to staore my music from Squeezebox? I have the triple connection interface. 800/400/usb

SteveEast
2008-03-04, 21:00
Can I use my LaCie external hardrive to staore my music from Squeezebox? I have the triple connection interface. 800/400/usb

Sure, but you can't connect the SB directly to the external hard drive. You still need a PC to run SqueezeCenter.

Steve.