PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Conversion Software

Aynsley
2007-01-10, 12:11
Anyone use software to convert their MP3's? I've got about 100Gb of MP3's, mostly in 320kbps and I want to create a copy of them in 128kbps for use on my laptop/iPod etc.

I've seen plenty of software that'll convert the MP3's to a different bitrate, but they all seem to only allow selection of a single folder at a time. I want to point the software at my d:\music folder and get it to output to d:\low_music, but with all the sub-directory structure intact.

Anyone come across anything that'll do that? I'd like to just leave my PC churning for a while and not have to intervene.

Hope that makes sense,

Aynsley

Mark Lanctot
2007-01-10, 12:20
Perhaps I may be wrong here, but I'm not sure this is such a good idea.

Won't you be compounding compression artifacts by re-compressing an already-compressed file?

Again, I may be wrong on this.

aubuti
2007-01-10, 13:02
Sure, it would be compounding the compression artifacts, but for playback on a laptop or iPod the loss in sound quality might not be that noticeable. Especially when weighed against the cost of re-ripping everything!

You need something like Robin Bowes' flac2mp3.pl perl script, except modified for mp3-2-mp3. You could take a look at his script to see how it traverses the directory structure, and instead of decoding with flac, decode with lame before re-encoding at the lower bitrate with lame. Of course, handling the tags would be completely different, too.

Or try the brute force approach: Load your backup copy of the music library (you do have a backup, don't you?) into foobar2000, and convert all of them to 128. Then re-backup the 320kbps version after the conversion finishes.

No doubt, there more elegant solutions out there, but I've never been accused of excessive elegance....

cliveb
2007-01-10, 13:12
Or try the brute force approach: Load your backup copy of the music library (you do have a backup, don't you?) into foobar2000, and convert all of them to 128. Then re-backup the 320kbps version after the conversion finishes.
No need to do that. Just load the 320kbps MP3s into foobar2000, and convert them to 128kbps into a different root folder.

For anyone who runs on Windows, foobar2000 really is your friend - it's a "Swiss Army Knife" audio manipulator. (Oh, and it's a damn fine audio player, too, although I don't use it for that).