PDA

View Full Version : Who is a fan of Bill Laswell?

gbruzzo
2007-01-10, 11:27
Has anyone seen him live in NY?

Giacomo

water
2007-01-10, 11:33
not in new york, but he gave 3 great gigs at the roskilde festival a couple of years ago

you'll find a bunch of his releases, both solo & collaborations at emusic : http://www.emusic.com/search.html?mode=x&QT=bill+laswell&x=0&y=0 all drm free of course ;)

:water

ModelCitizen
2007-01-10, 13:58
He's more an interest to me than someone I actually like. If you could suggest an album or two as an inroad I'd be grateful as he's rather prolific and it's difficult to know where to start.
MC

.:.impossible.
2007-01-10, 17:23
What kind of music are you into? Laswell has recorded in so many styles...

ModelCitizen
2007-01-11, 12:31
OK. I'm into head music mostly. I tend to like ambient, but not lazy or new age music. I like electronic music. I like deep bass. I also like (very) simple tunes and a good production.
I have Bill's Nagual something, Sacred Site and collaborations with Pete Namlook and Jah Wobble but none have particularly grabbed me (on a casual listen).
Any suggestions welcome as I feel that I should like what he does!
MC

gbruzzo
2007-01-11, 16:08
Try out

Eraldo Bernocchi, Bill Laswell, Toshinori Kondo

Charged

Charged Live

They top my list at the moment.

Giacomo

TiredLegs
2007-02-15, 14:44
A chunk of his better work is represented on the episode of the PSB TV show Soundstage, with Bill Laswell's Axiom Sound System, including Pharaoh Sanders on sax! I could do without the Buckethead segment and the clown-rap finale (literally, rappers dressed as clowns). Nevertheless, if you're into Bill, catch the show if you can. It occasionally comes up in rerun.

jsunandmax
2007-03-07, 22:49
i find his stuff kinda hit-and-miss. I confess to only have heard 2-3 of the 'Bill Laswell' albums, but he was part of a band called 'Material' and the album 'Hallucination Engine' is awesome. Great track w/ William Burroughs on there...

Nostromo
2007-03-08, 11:03
I don't know Laswell well enough to say that I'm a fan, but I have a couple of his albums. And that doesn't mean much, since he's all over the place. I'm listening to "Charged", right now. Reminds me a bit of the DJ Krush/Toshinori Kondo album "Ki-Oku".

I have Panthalassa, the album where he mixes Miles Davis tracks from the Bitches Brew era. For example, he mixes "In A Silent Way", "Shhh/Peaceful" and "Its about time" and it sounds like Miles Davis with a Blade Runner soundtrack twist. Not bad.

tyler_durden
2007-03-08, 22:42
I second the vote for the Material disc.

TD

phase
2007-03-13, 20:14
I highly recommend the Possession album _Off World One_, which is African electronic ambient music produced by Bill Laswell and featuring others. See following URL for more details:

http://www.discogs.com/release/158039

I found a copy at Downtown Music Gallery (http://downtownmusicgallery.com) in Manhatten for $8 in November, and they had several more copies available. The store has lots of Laswell stuff, and I think he's done at least one in-store performance there.

I also recommend the _Outland_ and _Outer Dark_ releases on the German Fax label (Fax +49-69/450464), although these are long out of print and extremely hard to find. I am lucky enough to own the former and I managed to obtain high quality MP3s of the latter.

Enjoy!

gbruzzo
2007-03-14, 08:51
Hey Phase,

I'll check out the record. I live in the UK, but had a lot of CD's shipped from NY to London byDMG. Their catalogue is awesome, in particular

Pharoah Saunders/Graham Haynes "In a heartbeat"

(with the usual Bill Laswell/Niki Skopelitis/Zakir Hussain/Hamid Drake(?) and others to play along.

They are great for finding and very efficiently shipping the stuff to Europe - They also deal with all of the Tzadik (John Zorn's label) shipments. Great guys!

Giacomo

gbruzzo
2007-03-14, 12:13
I don't know Laswell well enough to say that I'm a fan, but I have a couple of his albums. And that doesn't mean much, since he's all over the place. I'm listening to "Charged", right now. Reminds me a bit of the DJ Krush/Toshinori Kondo album "Ki-Oku".

I have Panthalassa, the album where he mixes Miles Davis tracks from the Bitches Brew era. For example, he mixes "In A Silent Way", "Shhh/Peaceful" and "Its about time" and it sounds like Miles Davis with a Blade Runner soundtrack twist. Not bad.

Toshinori Kondo, who is quite a remarkable trumpet player (some of his solo records, Fukio and Nerve Tripper are also worth a listen), graces both albums. If I remember well you can also find him on "Points of Order" of Bill Laswell.

If you have the chance, listen to "Charged live", with an extended lineup (DJ Disk on scratches, Aiyb Dieng on percussion, Hamid Drake on drums), which a beautiful live record.

Giacomo

caldvd
2007-03-19, 06:19
I'm a fan, although I don't listen to his stuff nearly as much as I used to. Material: Hallucination Engine (1994), one more vote here...that was my introduction. At the time, I was on the road mixing sound for Ken Kesey, so there was kind of a small connection for me. :-P

Later, in 2002, I was at the Stern Grove (S.F.) performance of Tabla Beat Science, and it was a magical day!

It was so hot, they released it as an album:
http://www.amazon.com/Live-San-Francisco-Stern-Grove/dp/B000069B11

We sat under the shady trees of Stern Grove and got our Groove on.
What a day!

gbruzzo
2007-12-11, 05:31
Laswell has done a wide number of sets in Japan during 2007.
I am looking for the three sets that fall under the moniker of "Tokio Rotation 2007". On two of these sets he plays with DJ Krush: has anyone ever heard them/heard of them?

Thanks in advance,

Giacomo

bopyanker
2008-01-10, 17:38
A chunk of his better work is represented on the episode of the PSB TV show Soundstage, with Bill Laswell's Axiom Sound System, including Pharaoh Sanders on sax! I could do without the Buckethead segment and the clown-rap finale (literally, rappers dressed as clowns). Nevertheless, if you're into Bill, catch the show if you can. It occasionally comes up in rerun.

I caught it and really liked the Pharoah Sanders segment. Waiting for it to come on again so I can see the whole show.
The making of Herbie Hancock's Possibilities came on Showtime recently. I was surprized he didn't call on Laswell for a track, considering who else he chose to work with.

gbruzzo
2008-01-16, 16:33
Have a look at the new record of Laswell (as Method of Defiance)

It is quite interesting (and Pharoah is playing on the first track)

http://www.silent-watcher.net/billlaswell/discography/m/inamorata.html

bopyanker
2008-01-17, 11:30
Ok I will and get back with you on that. Speaking of Pharoah, I must listen to Astral Traveling and Thembi 3 or 4 times a week. My all time favorite.

bopyanker
2008-01-17, 15:26
Inamorata sounds close to what Tim Hagans did in 1999 with Animation/Imagination. Have you heard this disc? It even sounds like Hagans on trumpet. Still, a damn good album. Thanks for hipping me. IT WILL get a lot of playing time. Pharoah's intro is a great opening to this story. Would have been a great ending too.

bopyanker
2008-01-18, 16:01
I guess making comparisons to Laswell's music is a sensitive spot. I was hoping for some feedback on Tim Hagans "Animation/Imagination". Good or bad.

haunyack
2008-01-20, 19:09
I like deep bass. I also like (very) simple tunes and a good production.
Any suggestions welcome as I feel that I should like what he does!
MC

Asana OHM Shanti - Bill Laswell, Karsh Kale, Sultan Khan, Falguni Shah
If you dig modern pseudo Indian grooves check this out.

Laswell and Kale tear it up.

An excerpt from Amazon - "music is prototypical Laswell, full of relentless grooves and dub bass lines that throb like a brothel in heat. Indian singers, including Kiran Ahluwalia, Ustad Sultan Khan, Fulguni Shah, and Asha Puthli, intone hymns to Shiva on expansive tracks you won't hear in a Hindu temple."

gbruzzo
2008-01-21, 03:55
Laswell has now a new label, Nagual. It only distributes via Columbia Japan for the moment

http://columbia.jp/artist-info/billlaswell/index.html

To see some of his more recent projects, see

http://www.silent-watcher.net/billlaswell/news.html

Of all the projects that are listed, I suggest you check out
Somma (which is a project of Eraldo Bernocchi, as was the case of Charged). Recently a limited run of a concert held in Trento in front of the Dalai Lama was released.
The setup is Laswell on Bass, Bernocchi on guitars, Toshinori Kondo/Nils Petter Molvaer on Trumpet, Hamid Drake on drums, Raiz (once of the italian supergroup Almamegretta) and Gigi on vocals playing along 7 tibetan monks.
This is one of the most beautiful records I have heard in a long long time. Definitely a classic (in my book at least)- worth a good look. I found a couple of excerpts on the Somma Myspace page:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=189150812

Regards,

Giacomo

haunyack
2008-01-21, 21:15
I like deep bass. I also like (very) simple tunes and a good production.
MC

Apologies to Giacomo -

Blue Chip Orchestra.

"Red Sky Beat" or "White River, Red Spirit" - Native American chants set to contemporary arrangement and "good production" standards.
Beautiful and fulfilling works.

"Blue Danube: Donau So Blau" - A tribute to Austrian composers such as Strauss the Younger, Mozart, Bruckner. etc.
OT - lest we not forget Kepler (major dude).
A work commissioned by PCD Polymere/Austria commemorating the 500th anniversary of the City of Linz, Austria.
I think Johann the Elder would approve.

gbruzzo
2008-01-23, 02:09
Apologies to Giacomo -

Blue Chip Orchestra.

"Red Sky Beat" or "White River, Red Spirit" - Native American chants set to contemporary arrangement and "good production" standards.
Beautiful and fulfilling works.

No apologies needed! There was a record of "overdubbed" indiand chants I used to listen to a lot - Spirit Something. It came out at the time where contamination works such as Deep Forest were in vogue. I am trying to get a copy of it: do you recollect what the title may be?

Regards,

Giacomo

haunyack
2008-01-23, 10:17
No apologies needed! There was a record of "overdubbed" indiand chants I used to listen to a lot - Spirit Something. It came out at the time where contamination works such as Deep Forest were in vogue. I am trying to get a copy of it: do you recollect what the title may be?

Regards,

Giacomo

"Unconquered Spirit"?
2 CD set.

Perhaps
Robert Gass "Chant-Spirit in Sound"

goopie
2008-06-25, 05:53
If you like your music non commercial, there are just so many to choose from with Bill Laswell. I'm still making my way through his catalogue and it's going to take quite a while. The guy is certainly prolific.

My favourite of the moment is Dub Chamber 4 Book Of Exit - the last in the Dub Chamber series. All the tracks are outstanding, particularly those featuring Laswell's wife Gigi. Gigi is from Ethiopia and has a just gorgeous voice. Material - Hallucination and Sacred System Nagual Site are also great. As well, try Anton Fier - Dreamspeed and a similar album, Blind Light - The Absence Of Time.

If you like what you hear with these, there are literally hundreds of others out there featuring Laswell in one form or another.

stof77
2008-07-12, 01:42
Hello,

not really a fan, but like to listen to some of his productions from time to time, like :

- Possession - Off world1 (ambient world african groove)

- Blindlight - The absence of time (the japanese voice can be irratating at the end, a question of personnal taste of course)

- Sacred system (Chapter 2 & Nagual site)

- City of Light (1997), one of my favourite
http://www.amazon.com/City-Light-Bill-Laswell/dp/B000003HIE

Though I must admit some of his stuff are really boring but well,

with all of his amazing productions (hundreds I think) it would unbelievable that all would be great value.