PDA

View Full Version : Sirus plugin has problems with some skins?

slimrick
2007-01-10, 07:49
I upgraded from slimserver 6.2.2 to 6.5 last night. I did this because I wanted to be able to use the new Sirius plugin that is only supported in slimserver versions 6.3>. After install of the new 6.5 slimserver and install of the Sirius plugin, I picked a skin and kicked everything off. When I tried to select the Sirius option under internet radio, it crashed the server. After a bit of head scratching (not the sharpest tac on the block) I decided to try a different skin. This time, I noticed that the skin allowed more config interaction for the Sirius login requirements that the other skin did not offer. This skin too crashed the server. I picked one more skin, and this one is working to the best of my knowledge. Is there sensitivity to the skin selection with this plugin, or is it most likely due to the fact that I probably did something else wrong? This is my first post to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section to ask this question.

GoCubs
2007-01-10, 09:26
I upgraded from slimserver 6.2.2 to 6.5 last night. I did this because I wanted to be able to use the new Sirius plugin that is only supported in slimserver versions 6.3>. After install of the new 6.5 slimserver and install of the Sirius plugin, I picked a skin and kicked everything off. When I tried to select the Sirius option under internet radio, it crashed the server. After a bit of head scratching (not the sharpest tac on the block) I decided to try a different skin. This time, I noticed that the skin allowed more config interaction for the Sirius login requirements that the other skin did not offer. This skin too crashed the server. I picked one more skin, and this one is working to the best of my knowledge. Is there sensitivity to the skin selection with this plugin, or is it most likely due to the fact that I probably did something else wrong? This is my first post to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section to ask this question.
Hey Rick-
I've tested the plugin with both the default and popular FishBone skins. I'm not sure about the others, but I'd be surprised if the plugin wouldn't work with them. Regardless of the skin, the plugin settings under Internet radio settings should work no matter what. How you get to the Internet radio settings page will vary from skin to skin though.

The only predictable way that causes SlimServer to crash while using the plugin is to attempt to access the plugin without any clients/players. Do you have a Squeezebox connected when you're using the plugin? If not, make sure you at least have a copy of SoftSqueeze running. When I designed the plugin I assumed that there'd always be at least one player (I thought it was a safe assumption) but apparently sometimes people run slimserver without any players connected.

Let me know what you find.

-Greg

slimrick
2007-01-10, 10:09
Greg,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I have a hard wired box and a wireless. Maybe I tried to kick off too many things all at once (upgrade from 6.2.2 to 6.5, load plugin, update slim device firmware....). I noticed the wireless wanted a firmware update so I did it. the server is running fine. i started the serius selection on my slimserver PC. I went upstairs and the wireless will play The serius station I started on the server if I select "what's playing now" The other menu selections related to the Sirius plugin show up on the box but can not change the box. as long as I use the "what's playing now option", all is fine and it sounds great. the hardwired box can not connect to Sirius thru any of the Sirius menu selections. It shows the plugin menu options fine, but when I select them, it tries to connect and fails. I'm somewhat knowledgable on computer issues, but i have not dug into the slim device world at all. My brother gave me his old boxes a few months ago. It was cool at first, then I had to shut down the PC for a couple of months while I did some serious home renovations. I'll spend some quality time over the next couple of days to get my facts straight as well as study up on my infrastructure.

thanks for the feedback
Rick

GoCubs
2007-01-10, 13:37
Greg,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I have a hard wired box and a wireless. Maybe I tried to kick off too many things all at once (upgrade from 6.2.2 to 6.5, load plugin, update slim device firmware....). I noticed the wireless wanted a firmware update so I did it. the server is running fine. i started the serius selection on my slimserver PC. I went upstairs and the wireless will play The serius station I started on the server if I select "what's playing now" The other menu selections related to the Sirius plugin show up on the box but can not change the box. as long as I use the "what's playing now option", all is fine and it sounds great. the hardwired box can not connect to Sirius thru any of the Sirius menu selections. It shows the plugin menu options fine, but when I select them, it tries to connect and fails. I'm somewhat knowledgable on computer issues, but i have not dug into the slim device world at all. My brother gave me his old boxes a few months ago. It was cool at first, then I had to shut down the PC for a couple of months while I did some serious home renovations. I'll spend some quality time over the next couple of days to get my facts straight as well as study up on my infrastructure.

thanks for the feedback
Rick
I'm not sure when a player waiting for a firmware upgrade counts as a client, but if you tried to access the plugin before doing the upgrade this could have caused the crashing.

I'm a bit confused by the rest of your post. You should be able to access all the different options from the web interface. What skin are you using? Also, what types of Squeezeboxes do you have? If any of them are a SB2 or later you'll need to disable built-in wma decoding as described on the plugin website installation instructions. Otherwise the newer players will not be able to stream the Sirius audio.

-Greg

slimrick
2007-01-13, 13:49
Greg,
The wma is probably the problem! I have a wireless sqeezbox running just fine. I also have a squeezebox 2, and this is the one having the problem. Other internet music plays fine. Let me try to find the wma disable information,and give it a try. Thanks again...