PDA

View Full Version : Who's an expert on the Wish You Were Here Recordings?

peejay
2007-01-08, 15:47
Here's one for the Pink Floyd fans. I have the recollection of a recording of Wish You Were Here, from a cassette which by brother handed down to me, which had the unmistakable sound of footsteps with a slight popping sound to them walking along what sounded like a long, empty hallway. This I recall was heard in the transition between two tracks - maybe Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar - does anyone have any recordings which has this noise on it? I have a recent Gold Edition ( maybe someone can explain what sonic benefit this has as well - a Gold CD, over and above the 20 bit resolution?) which doesn't contain the footfall noises (if that's what they were...). Or is this just a false memory? Over to you.

snarlydwarf
2007-01-08, 16:40
Hrrm, are you creating a false memory in my head? I know that is on one of the early PF albums... really... and I cant think of a more logical one..

My track list, though:

Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Parts I-V
Welcome to the Machine

Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Parts VI-IX

If I remember my old vinyl correctly, the blank line is the side1/side2 break.

peejay
2007-01-08, 17:19
Hrrm, are you creating a false memory in my head? I know that is on one of the early PF albums... really... and I cant think of a more logical one..

My track list, though:

Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Parts I-V
Welcome to the Machine

Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Parts VI-IX

If I remember my old vinyl correctly, the blank line is the side1/side2 break.

Whew, so somoeone else has heard it - I'm not senile, yet....

cliveb
2007-01-09, 01:55
Here's one for the Pink Floyd fans. I have the recollection of a recording of Wish You Were Here, from a cassette which by brother handed down to me, which had the unmistakable sound of footsteps with a slight popping sound to them walking along what sounded like a long, empty hallway.
The only footsteps I can recall on a PF album is in the transition between "The Gunners Dream" and "Paranoid Eyes" on The Final Cut. Could this be what you remember?

Philip Meyer
2007-01-09, 02:46
>the unmistakable sound of footsteps with a
>slight popping sound to them walking along what sounded like a long,
>empty hallway. This I recall was heard in the transition between two
>tracks - maybe Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar
>
You are correct. There are indeed footsteps to be heard between Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar. It's just before the guitar intro to Have a Cigar (first couple of seconds in the track) - AFTER the crowd noise at the end of Welcome to the Machine. The volume is quite low.

It's interesting though - I remember it being more pronounced than my definitive remaster recording. Perhaps the footsteps lasted longer and were a bit louder on the original recording?

Phil

cliveb
2007-01-09, 04:03
You are correct. There are indeed footsteps to be heard between Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar. It's just before the guitar intro to Have a Cigar (first couple of seconds in the track) - AFTER the crowd noise at the end of Welcome to the Machine. The volume is quite low.

It's interesting though - I remember it being more pronounced than my definitive remaster recording. Perhaps the footsteps lasted longer and were a bit louder on the original recording?
This prompted me to check out WYWH, and there are a couple of highly reverberant footsteps at that point - but just the two. They sound to me like stiletto heels on a hard floor. Incidentally, my copy of WYWH is the original British CD release - not the remaster.

peejay
2007-01-09, 05:06
>the unmistakable sound of footsteps with a
>slight popping sound to them walking along what sounded like a long,
>empty hallway. This I recall was heard in the transition between two
>tracks - maybe Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar
>

Phil

Thanks Phil, I recall them as being far more pronounced, and longer as well. Perhaps in the transition from vinyl to Disc they faded into (almost) oblivion. I'll have another listen to my recording to see if I can pick them up. I'd love to obtain a recording which has retained the original levels and duration - sad example of the loss of the original recording....how often does this sort of thing happen.

peejay
2007-01-09, 05:09
This prompted me to check out WYWH, and there are a couple of highly reverberant footsteps at that point - but just the two. They sound to me like stiletto heels on a hard floor. Incidentally, my copy of WYWH is the original British CD release - not the remaster.

Right, I remember a lot more than just the two, but what you found Clive is encouraging. I'm going on a hunt now for what can only be a more original recording than all those out there on CD, maybe?

cliveb
2007-01-09, 07:04
Right, I remember a lot more than just the two, but what you found Clive is encouraging. I'm going on a hunt now for what can only be a more original recording than all those out there on CD, maybe?
Unfortunately I sold my vinyl WYWH years ago, so can't check that. But the sequencing on the CD is that "Have a Cigar" begins *immediately* after the two footsteps, whereas of course on the vinyl there was a side break between them. It seems quite possible that the footsteps might have continued for a while at the end of side 1. Anyone still have the vinyl to check?

Skunk
2007-01-09, 07:13
Are you sure you're not thinking of the footsteps in DSOTM? They're really pronounced and pan from one side to the other. These are more of a businessman running down an empty hallway steps though.
Cheers.

peejay
2007-01-09, 15:31
Are you sure you're not thinking of the footsteps in DSOTM? They're really pronounced and pan from one side to the other. These are more of a businessman running down an empty hallway steps though.
Cheers.

I don't think so. I didn't have a copy of DSOTM until many years later. And the Machine noise shifting into the crowd noise shifting into the footsteps is a strong context for the memory for me, but I'll have a listen to DSOTM again - which track/track transition are you referring to?

peejay
2007-01-09, 15:35
The only footsteps I can recall on a PF album is in the transition between "The Gunners Dream" and "Paranoid Eyes" on The Final Cut. Could this be what you remember?

No, I don't have the Final Cut, and don't recall ever hearing it...maybe I should, though....

snarlydwarf
2007-01-09, 15:46

Since it came up on random play today: there is also the door opening, footsteps and fly being-swatted at the end of Grantchester Meadows on the studio album of Ummagumma.

peejay
2007-01-09, 16:12
Since it came up on random play today: there is also the door opening, footsteps and fly being-swatted at the end of Grantchester Meadows on the studio album of Ummagumma.

Er, thanks for that....

snarlydwarf
2007-01-09, 16:14
Actually, it seems there are a lot of "footsteps" on PF albums.... scary. Wonder if someone has done a Master's Thesis on the Theme of Footsteps or something.

smc2911
2007-01-09, 16:18
I still have my vinyl copy of WYWH, so I'll dig it out and compare it to the CD.

JJZolx
2007-01-09, 17:29
Give a listen to "On the Run" from DSOTM. About 40 seconds into the track.

MrSinatra
2007-01-09, 18:28
i have the shine on box set and i hear things almost at the start and end of every track that could be described as footstepish.

could it be the sounds are clearer now then on vinyl or tape?

also, any of u guys have any ideas on this:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31449

Skunk
2007-01-10, 01:40
I don't think so. I didn't have a copy of DSOTM until many years later. And the Machine noise shifting into the crowd noise shifting into the footsteps is a strong context for the memory for me, but I'll have a listen to DSOTM again - which track/track transition are you referring to?

Oddly that describes this noise as well. On the run @ http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-Pink-Floyd/dp/B000002U82

smc2911
2007-01-10, 03:42
Well, my vinyl LP has the exact same sound as the CD at the end of Welcome to the Machine which could be a couple of footsteps but could also be a couple of echoing water drops. Strangely I also have a recollection of more footsteps somewhere...

peejay
2007-01-10, 05:27
Oddly that describes this noise as well. On the run @ http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-Pink-Floyd/dp/B000002U82

Indeed footsteps, but not those that I remember....I guess for now I'll have to be satisified that a couple of other Floyd enthusiasts have a similar memory...Maybe it was aliens....

peejay
2007-01-10, 05:32
Well, my vinyl LP has the exact same sound as the CD at the end of Welcome to the Machine which could be a couple of footsteps but could also be a couple of echoing water drops. Strangely I also have a recollection of more footsteps somewhere...

Yep, me too, but thanks for your efforts. There are three of us now who seem to recall more footsteps. I hope I'm not inducing some sort of mass false memory, however...

EFP
2007-01-10, 11:21
i recall there being footsteps as well as a creaking and latching of a door

but then division bell likely wasn't released until much after these false memories were created ;)

Philip Meyer
2007-01-10, 15:25
>sad example of the loss of the original
>recording....how often does this sort of thing happen.

I found this too with Genesis - Selling England By The Pound. I had the original CD release, but also purchased the definitive remaster version, because my in-laws wanted a copy of the album. I gave them the original version and kept the remaster. Biggest mistake I ever made.

Gabriels voice on Dancing With The Moonlight Knight sounds distinctly different. There's less warbling, especially towards the end "The deck was uneven right from the start, and all of the hands were playing a part...", where I seem to remember the song speed slowing down ever so slightly.

I guess the remasters saw these as defects (perhaps they were!), but the music seems to lose out as a consequence.

I want my original back!

Phil

SteveEast
2007-01-10, 16:40
And then there are the footsteps in the middle of "Bike" from "Piper at the Gates of Dawn". Hey, maybe all the footsteps from the later albums are actually a tribute to Syd Barrett?

Steve.