PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to wire the server or the SB? One has to be on wifi...

bigmdime
2007-01-06, 19:51
For quality - is it better to have the server wired in the network and the SB on wifi? or the server on wifi and the SB on the network? should one choice be better than the other?

seanadams
2007-01-06, 20:17
If you're using Internet radio or SqueezeNetwork, it would be better to make the Squeezebox wired so it has the best connection ot the internet. If you're streaming from the computer, it doesn't really matter - if you get dropouts one way, try it the other way.

bigmdime
2007-01-06, 21:36
If you're using Internet radio or SqueezeNetwork, it would be better to make the Squeezebox wired so it has the best connection ot the internet. If you're streaming from the computer, it doesn't really matter - if you get dropouts one way, try it the other way.

Thanks - i's not for squeezenetwork but for streaming from the computer. moving the cable box/router isn't insignificant for me. right now both are wfi and i'm getting drop-outs. so i have to move the wire to one or the other. which is more likely to fix the problem? i'd rather just move it once.

pfarrell
2007-01-06, 21:48
bigmdime wrote:
> Thanks - i's not for squeezenetwork but for streaming from the
> computer. moving the cable box/router isn't insignificant for me.
> right now both are wfi and i'm getting drop-outs. so i have to move
> the wire to one or the other. which is more likely to fix the problem?
> i'd rather just move it once.

It is impossible to say remotely. It can depend on wires and pipes in
the walls, neighbors with microwaves or wireless telephones, etc.

just test it. Drag cable from each to your switch/router.
Make sure that fixes it. (sure, it has lousy WAF, but this is just a test).

Then unplug one, test, plug it back, unplug the other, retest.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

JJZolx
2007-01-06, 22:21
For quality - is it better to have the server wired in the network and the SB on wifi? or the server on wifi and the SB on the network? should one choice be better than the other?

Like Pat says, for quality it could go either way. What exactly does your network look like, including the physical layout, locations of the Squeezebox, the server, router/switch, etc? Do you have any other PCs on the network? I'm curious why you say you can only move "the wire" to one or the other - does your router only have a single Ethernet port?

Marc Sherman
2007-01-07, 08:38
seanadams wrote:
> If you're using Internet radio or SqueezeNetwork, it would be better to
> make the Squeezebox wired so it has the best connection ot the
> internet. If you're streaming from the computer, it doesn't really
> matter - if you get dropouts one way, try it the other way.

Sean, you missed an important use case here:

If you're using _transcoded_ internet radio on a local slimserver, such
as with AlienBBC, then it's important to have your server hard-wired. In
that use case, a wireless server will cause the internet radio data to
go over 2 wireless hops (internet->router->wireless->server,
server->wireless->router->sb), while a wireless SB only contributes one
wireless hop in that case.

This also applies for all internet radio on a local slimserver with an
SB1, which didn't support direct connection to internet radio URLs.

- Marc

peterw
2007-01-07, 08:45
I've had significantly less trouble with the 802.11g connection from my Squeezebox2 (which I understand to be electrically identical to the current Squeezebox3 players) than the WiFi in my wireless computers. Plus the Slim/Squeezebox protocol uses a significant data buffer, making it unlikely that short-term glitches would affect your listening. It seems much more likely to me that your Slimserver system would flake out on something like Internet Radio due to an intermittent WiFi glitch than your Squeezebox.

Plus, a WiFi squeezebox can act as a bridge for any Ethernet device you plug into it with a crossover cable -- I've found this an easy way to let guests connect their laptops to the network, though it's certainly more expensive than a WiFi AP running DD_WRT!

Finally, your PC <-> Internet traffic is likely to have more intersting & sensitive traffic than your PC <-> Squeezebox traffic. Should someone guess/crack your WiFi security key, you're better off with them sniffing your Slimserver traffic than seeing your emails, web searches, etc.

-Peter