PDA

View Full Version : sound level seems too low

tintin
2007-01-06, 13:25
I recently set up my nifty new SB3 and followed the directions as best as I could to RIP some CDs to FLAC with EAC/AccurateRIP/freedb. Everything I play - including my wifes iTunes playlists created earlier in some other format - all plays very softly on my stereo. If I turn the volume up it sounds fine - but the volume is double or more what I would set if I was just playing a CD directly.

I connected the SB3 to the MD/DAT inputs on my Sony. Should I use another jack? Use digital cables?

Thanks in advance for the help.

tommypeters
2007-01-06, 13:37
Have you set the SB3 volume to full?

And yes, if you have digital inputs on your reciever/preamp it's no need for one extra D/A and one A/D conversion.

peterw
2007-01-06, 14:41
If you tweak the SB3 output to be "just right" with the SB3 volume control and want to keep it there, you might try my VolumeLock plugin.

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/VolumeLock.html

I haven't tried it with digital outputs (my hifi gear is older), but you might find it useful.

-Peter

peterw
2007-01-07, 08:50
Go to the web interface for your Slimserver. In the Player Settings for your Squeezebox, there's this section:

DIGITAL VOLUME CONTROL
You can choose to have the digital audio output on your player be fixed at maximum level or be controlled by the volume buttons. With either setting, the analog output levels are adjusted by the volume buttons.

With only digital outputs, this would seem to have the same effect on loudness as my VolumeLock plugin (though you might still want VolumeLock to prevent confusion from users trying to adjust the volume with the SB remote, seeing the analog output level change on the SB display, and wonder why it's just as loud as before).

-Peter

Skunk
2007-01-07, 09:00
I connected the SB3 to the MD/DAT inputs on my Sony. Should I use another jack? Use digital cables?

Yeah you should plug the SB3 into the input the CD player is on to eliminate that as a possibility. Is the CD player more quiet if connected to the MD input?

Check that volume is at 100/100, and there is no preamp attenuation specified in Player Settings|Audio.

Skunk
2007-01-07, 09:09
And yes, if you have digital inputs on your reciever/preamp it's no need for one extra D/A and one A/D conversion.

What he said. Or if using the analog inputs try finding the stereo direct or bypass mode on the receiver.

tintin
2007-01-09, 13:07
Somehow when I was configuring the SB3 I only saw a sound level that went up to like 15. Probably just user (me) error. I set the volume much higher, to like 60 or 70 and it is now like I would have expected. I will fiddle around with it some more - I do like being able to adjust the volume from the SB3 remote rather than switching to the tuner remote so I am holding off on setting it to 100/100 all the time. Good to know it is an option. Maybe someday Logitech will fix that with a new Harmony remote that also does the SB. Thank you for the help.

Gildahl
2007-01-09, 13:20
Note that if you want to control your receiver's volume (and/or power) with your SB remote, you can use the excellent IR Blaster plugin. If your receiver has an IR input on it, this is as easy as running a 1/8" plug patch cord from the headphone output of the SB to the IR input of the receiver and doing a little bit of configuration. If you don't have an IR input, you can use an IR emitter instead. Once in place, the volume of the SB will be locked (at 100/100 or whatever you want), and the volume controls on the SB remote will adjust the volume of your receiver. It works really well, and is actually better than a Harmony for simple setups since the states of the devices are tightly coupled. I should point out, however, that the current Harmony remotes *do* work fine with the SB, and are especially well suited for use in more complex media systems.

GoCubs
2007-01-10, 09:04
I'm not sure if you applied replay gain normilization/sound level tags to your music/MP3's but if you have SmartGain turned on you'll generally experience lower sound levels across the board.

-Greg