PDA

View Full Version : Ripping speed

KeithL
2007-01-05, 14:08
I use itunes to rip to aiff at the highest setting. I have asked this before but received no replies. Does it matter what speed the cd is being read at? Itunes does not allow me to control the read speed. I am looking for the highest quality.
Keith

SuperQ
2007-01-05, 14:15
I use itunes to rip to aiff at the highest setting. I have asked this before but received no replies. Does it matter what speed the cd is being read at? Itunes does not allow me to control the read speed. I am looking for the highest quality.
Keith

If you're looking for highest quality, you should use a "secure" ripper like EAC or cdparanoia. If you have a windows, EAC is the way to go, if you have a mac, supposedly http://sbooth.org/Max/ this is good.

See the guide in the wiki:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToRipping

Eric Seaberg
2007-01-05, 15:12
There is an option in iTunes when importing "USE ERROR CORRECTION WHEN READING AUDIO CDs". Since you are ripping as AIFF (which is a RAW file format and does not use any compression, like FLAC or AAC does) there's nothing else to change.

You should, however, make SURE you have it set to AUTOMATIC and NOT CHANGE THE SAMPLE RATE. (are you the guy that was ripping AIFF at 48k and posted somewhere else?). Even though SlimServer can playback other sample rates, you will NOT be able to re-burn 48k files to an audio CD, as they MUST be 44.1kHz. SAMPLE RATE IS NOT THE SAME AS BIT RATE, i.e. 128k, 256k, 320k, whatever.

KeithL
2007-01-06, 00:57
Eric - I have now set itunes aiff to automatic with error correction. First disc ripped at between 15 to 20 x. Second disc dropped to 5 x. Does high speed ripping effect quality?

SuperQ - I'm running Panther and the Max ripping program needs Tiger.

Thanks for the replies.

Keith

Eric Seaberg
2007-01-06, 09:00
The quality of AIFF will not change. It is an exact copy of the original AIFC file on the CD. Once you've got your songs as AIFF you can ALWAYS re-encode them later to anything else, including FLAC.

I hope you've got lots of storage space! AIFF files will rip at a size of 10MB/minute of music.