PDA

View Full Version : I've read and read .............

metroman
2007-01-05, 13:47
....and I still don't know if this Squeezebox is for me! I want a jukebox set-up. If I connect my laptop to my hi-fi then this gives me a Jukebox so why the Squeezebox?. Once the Squeezebox "has indexed" all the music on my laptop then there is no need for the laptop to be turned on? everything can then be called up on the Squeezebox, album, track, genre, whatever, rather like my mp3 player? Internet radio is a low priority but accessing ALL my mp3's at a touch is a priority.
Someone SELL this to me please. metroman.

Ben Sandee
2007-01-05, 13:58
On 1/5/07, metroman <metroman.2jyg9b1168030201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> ....and I still don't know if this Squeezebox is for me! I want a
> jukebox set-up. If I connect my laptop to my hi-fi then this gives me a
> Jukebox so why the Squeezebox?. Once the Squeezebox "has indexed" all
> the music on my laptop then there is no need for the laptop to be
> turned on? everything can then be called up on the Squeezebox, album,
> track, genre, whatever, rather like my mp3 player? Internet radio is a
> low priority but accessing ALL my mp3's at a touch is a priority.
> Someone SELL this to me please. metroman.

The SB doesn't have any storage of its own so you'll need a laptop or other
server on in order to serve up your mp3's.

Ben

CatBus
2007-01-05, 14:01
You still need a computer on somewhere for a Squeezebox, running SlimServer (SlimServer is the software that indexes tracks, and it is still stored on the PC).

One difference is that the computer can be located very very far away from the stereo. So if your computer makes noise, it no longer impacts the music.

Another difference is that the analog output from the Squeezebox almost definitely sounds much better that the analog output from your sound card. Again, it'll sound better. If you use an optical connection, though, it's the same.

Another difference is that the Squeezebox is easier to work with. It's not as heavy, it has a handy easy-to-use remote control, and although I still wouldn't recommend it, it's probably a bit safer to use in a hazardous party-like environment where one spilled drink could fry your laptop for good.

And finally, Squeezebox supports lots of features that aren't even supported by some big-name PC jukebox software. Features like: gapless playback, automatic volume adjustment (that CD from the eighties won't be all quiet compared to your other CDs anymore), ARTISTSORT (want Bob Dylan sorted under "D"? No problem!), etc.

It's worth it. Really. Every penny.

adhawkins
2007-01-05, 14:07
Hi,

In article <metroman.2jyg9b1168030201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
metroman<metroman.2jyg9b1168030201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Jukebox so why the Squeezebox?.

The audio output from the Squeezebox is likely to be significantly better
than that you'd get from the laptop. Also, the Squeezebox is a small device
that can sit in with your HiFi system. The PC that has your music can be
anywhere in the house (so long as the SB can connect to it over wired or
wireless network.

> Once the Squeezebox "has indexed" all the music on my laptop then there is
> no need for the laptop to be turned on?

No. The Squeezebox just receives a 'stream' of audio from somewhere, so this
source (either a PC with your own music or SqueezeNetwork) must be always
available.

Andy

mherger
2007-01-05, 14:14
> Jukebox so why the Squeezebox?.

- because you don't want a computer sitting on your hi-fi
- because you'll want to share the same music experience in your bedroom,
office, bathroom, kitchen...
- because besides the noise your laptop makes the soundcard is of mediocre
quality
- because you don't want to get up from the couch to change a song, but
prefer using a remote

....and I'm sure there are more reasons.

> Once the Squeezebox "has indexed" all
> the music on my laptop then there is no need for the laptop to be
> turned on?

You'll still a computer running slimserver. The Squeezebox without a
server doesn't play anything.

BUT this computer can be one of the Squeezenetwork servers: connect your
SB to the Squeezenetwork, shut down your laptop, and you'll still be able
to listen to internet radio, Pandora, Podcasts etc.

> Someone SELL this to me please. metroman.

I'm no salesman. But a few years back the then state of the art SliMP3
changed the way I was listening to my music. I quickly gave up the
computer on my hi-fi idea.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

metroman
2007-01-05, 14:27
Thank you for the quick replies everyone. I am now getting the picture.
I have a pc upstairs connected to the internet. I have a pikaone 300 gig external drive (USB / RCA only)could this act as my server? metroman

SuperQ
2007-01-05, 14:35
Thank you for the quick replies everyone. I am now getting the picture.
I have a pc upstairs connected to the internet. I have a pikaone 300 gig external drive (USB / RCA only)could this act as my server? metroman

yep, that's the way to do it. Go download slimserver from the support tab on the website, install it on the server.. and then using your laptop, you can test softsqeeze.. if you like the way it works, you can buy a squeezebox.

metroman
2007-01-05, 14:56
The Pikaone external drive has no way to connect to the internet but can be independantly powered unless the pc is on. Will the Sqeezebox "see" the Pikaone if it powered alone after initial configuration obviously? metroman

jeffmeh
2007-01-05, 15:03
If it is simply an external drive, then you will need a computer to run SlimServer and access that drive. SlimServer will then stream your music from that drive to the Squeezebox.

snarlydwarf
2007-01-05, 15:05
No, the Pikaone is a pure USB box, so no ethernet for it.

But you can run Slimserver on your desktop upstairs... and play music downstairs just fine (assuming either wire or wirelss works down there for ethernet).

My setup: a server that is hiding under an otherwise useless Bar (I rarely drink booze, so the bar is useless) and Squeezeboxes in the Living Room and Bedroom. I can choose to play songs without ever removing my ass from the sofa or bed, or going anywhere near the PC.

Recoveryone
2007-01-05, 15:18
let me fill in a few gaps for you:

1. you need a network running in your home, if want the use the Squessze network you need broadband internet ( and yes you will enjoy that feature)
2. you need a computer (full system) Powered up, OS on it, and a drive large enough to hold all your music files and future files (nothing less than 20gig to start I suggest) This computer does not need to be a barn burner any PC/Mac running 800mhz or better will due. Ram is not that important, but the more the better (256 min)IMHO.
3. all of this needs to be connected to the network (hardwired or wirlelessly) the Squeeze Box can connect either way up to you.

metroman
2007-01-05, 15:30
Thank you all, I have now got this kit in my head, albeit simply; I appreciate the functionality of the Squeezebox but it is so heavily computer dependant I think I'll pass..........at the moment. metroman.