PDA

View Full Version : on the question of speaker cable

dazm
2007-01-05, 06:50
hi ,what do i look for in speaker cable quality,apart from the price theres a lot to choose from,thanks dazm

Deaf Cat
2007-01-05, 07:04
What make of IC do you have ?

dazm
2007-01-05, 07:40
hi deaf cat , excuse my lack of knowledge do you mean NTERCONNECT if so they are bare wire that clip into the amp,

tyler_durden
2007-01-05, 08:39
If you're not trying to run 500 feet of cable, go to home depot and buy some 12 or 14 ga zip cord. It costs about $0.25 per foot and is as good as anything out there for 100X the price.

If you are trying to run 500 feet of cable, I suggest rearranging of the amplifiers and speakers so you don't have to.

TD

jmourik
2007-01-05, 08:44
Check out Blue jeans cable.

On 1/5/07, dazm <dazm.2jxx1o1168005302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> hi ,what do i look for in speaker cable quality,apart from the price
> theres a lot to choose from,thanks dazm
>
>
> --
> dazm
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> dazm's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=8915
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31297
>
>

Russell
2007-01-05, 10:18
Dazm

At the frequencies in question, under 20KHz, copper is copper is copper.

Want to spend big bucks on Monster Cable, etc., go for it, but you won't
hear any differerence. Impresses people, though.

Go to your local Home Depot and check out the zip cord, bigger the better.

Russ

----- Original Message -----
From: "dazm" <dazm.2jxx1o1168005302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 8:50 AM
Subject: [slim] on the question of speaker cable

>
> hi ,what do i look for in speaker cable quality,apart from the price
> theres a lot to choose from,thanks dazm
>
>
> --
> dazm
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> dazm's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=8915
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31297
>
>

tomjtx
2007-01-05, 10:27
Check out Anti Cable, at 10.00 per foot pair it isn't outrageous.
Or, go to Radio Shack and buy magnet wire and DIY for about 20 cents per foot.

BlueJeans is also great but I have liked Anti Cable the best in my system.

4mula1
2007-01-05, 11:07
Or, go to Radio Shack and buy magnet wire and DIY for about 20 cents per foot.

You can't be serious about using magnet wire! Most decent speaker wire I have seen has had a high strand count to not only help in flexibility but to reduce impedance. Magnet wire would be relatively stiff and would have a higher impedance than a stranded wire. Any repeated bending would degrade the magnet wire's performance in a speaker wire application.

Plus an enameled wire won't be as forgiving of surface damage (abrasion etc.) as an extruded insulation would be.

jonheal
2007-01-05, 11:42
How about stringing coat hangers together? If you're afraid they'll short, wrap 'em with masking tape. That blue stuff looks pretty neat.

Here's what I did (halfway down the page):

http://www.theheals.org/jon/hi_fi.asp

jmourik
2007-01-05, 12:28
Well, copper may be copper, but speaker wires do sound different. I
recently tried a few, all copper, and preferred a Chinese cable,
Yingwang I think. But for now i'm using blue jeans cable that's
$0.79/Ft . The gray version is $0.59/Ft. :-D They use Belden cable.

On 1/5/07, Solvason-Pastuch <solvason.pastuch (AT) sympatico (DOT) ca> wrote:
> Dazm
>
> At the frequencies in question, under 20KHz, copper is copper is copper.
>
> Want to spend big bucks on Monster Cable, etc., go for it, but you won't
> hear any differerence. Impresses people, though.
>
> Go to your local Home Depot and check out the zip cord, bigger the better.
>
> Russ
>
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "dazm" <dazm.2jxx1o1168005302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
> To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 8:50 AM
> Subject: [slim] on the question of speaker cable
>
>
> >
> > hi ,what do i look for in speaker cable quality,apart from the price
> > theres a lot to choose from,thanks dazm
> >
> >
> > --
> > dazm
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > dazm's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=8915
> > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31297
> >
> >

tomjtx
2007-01-05, 12:28
You can't be serious about using magnet wire! Most decent speaker wire I have seen has had a high strand count to not only help in flexibility but to reduce impedance. Magnet wire would be relatively stiff and would have a higher impedance than a stranded wire. Any repeated bending would degrade the magnet wire's performance in a speaker wire application.

Plus an enameled wire won't be as forgiving of surface damage (abrasion etc.) as an extruded insulation would be.

Yes, I am serious about magnet wire and many others are too. The Anti Cables sound better than my previous 3,000.00 cable and I liked them better than the top Nordhost I auditioned!
Speltz of Anti Cable lists the measured imedance, and capacitance etc. both twisted and untwisted, which is more than a lot of cable manufacturers do.

Bending does nothing to degrade the sound acording to Speltz and he tests all this stuff.

The Anti's are the best speaker cable I have had in my system and are dirt cheap.
So cheap you should give them a try, I think he offers a trial.
Or go to RS and spend 10.00 and give it a try. Most people sell their expensive wire after doing this.

Maybe you won't like them but it's a very cheap experiment.

adamslim
2007-01-05, 14:11
The Anti Cables sound better than my previous 3,000.00 cable and I liked them better than the top Nordhost I auditioned!

<snip>

The Anti's are the best speaker cable I have had in my system and are dirt cheap.
Or go to RS and spend 10.00 and give it a try. Most people sell their expensive wire after doing this.

Hey that's good to hear - I just ordered some anti-cables just to see - for the price, you can't go wrong! The thing that actually made me order, though, was their rigidity - in my setup, I need to train the cables around the room perimeter, 2-3 feet above floor level. I think I can do this with the Antis when I couldn't with most others.

Happily, I have never spent 3k (or even close!) on cables!

Adam

4mula1
2007-01-05, 14:49
Yes, I am serious about magnet wire and many others are too. The Anti Cables sound better than my previous 3,000.00 cable and I liked them better than the top Nordhost I auditioned!
Speltz of Anti Cable lists the measured imedance, and capacitance etc. both twisted and untwisted, which is more than a lot of cable manufacturers do.

Bending does nothing to degrade the sound acording to Speltz and he tests all this stuff.

My employer manufactures electrical coils so I am very familiar with magnet wire. Just not in an application such as this. You mentioned Radio Shack and they sell 22AWG and finer magnet wire, where Anti Cable has 12AWG. That's an enormous difference!

These are definitely something I could make at work. Too bad the largest wire we have is 14AWG. Paul Speltz is right, they are easy to make. He's making a very nice margin on these...

tomjtx
2007-01-05, 14:56
Hey that's good to hear - I just ordered some anti-cables just to see - for the price, you can't go wrong! The thing that actually made me order, though, was their rigidity - in my setup, I need to train the cables around the room perimeter, 2-3 feet above floor level. I think I can do this with the Antis when I couldn't with most others.

Happily, I have never spent 3k (or even close!) on cables!

Adam

The 3,000.00 was retail and I got 40% off. Big deal :1,800.00 was still WAY too much to pay:-)
In my defense I plead temporary insanity and the folly of youth(it was 10 years ago)

I think you will be delighted with the anti cable.
I am thinking about his IC's but since I only have balanced gear they are a bit pricey. Still inasanely cheap compared to my current IC's.
I'll come out way ahead when I sell the old wire.

tomjtx
2007-01-05, 15:00
My employer manufactures electrical coils so I am very familiar with magnet wire. Just not in an application such as this. You mentioned Radio Shack and they sell 22AWG and finer magnet wire, where Anti Cable has 12AWG. That's an enormous difference!

These are definitely something I could make at work. Too bad the largest wire we have is 14AWG. Paul Speltz is right, they are easy to make. He's making a very nice margin on these...

Paul's IC's are harder to DIY.
You can get the 12 guage but I'm not sure where. You can probably google it.
It's maybe better not to terminate it, just sand off the insulation. I kinda wish I had done that and bought the A-C IC's.

4mula1
2007-01-05, 15:13
Paul's IC's are harder to DIY.
You can get the 12 guage but I'm not sure where. You can probably google it.
It's maybe better not to terminate it, just sand off the insulation. I kinda wish I had done that and bought the A-C IC's.

The ICs are harder, yes, but not terribly so. I've had my hands on on a Neutrik XLR connector and soldering magnet wire to the terminals in that would be no more difficult than stranded lead wire.

Sourcing the 12 guage wire wouldn't be a problem for me. It's just explaining to the boss why we have it that becomes difficult...

Unfortunately for me I don't have the free air from my amp to speakers to make this really work for me. If I ever get some new furniture for my setup I'll have to consider making a set.

drewe181
2007-01-05, 23:47
i made my own cables using CAT6 wire. details can be found here

www.tnt-audio.com

there are a few different configurations and designs, and also an article comparing the different configurations sound and technical wise

peter
2007-01-06, 02:11
drewe181 wrote:
> i made my own cables using CAT6 wire. details can be found here
>
> www.tnt-audio.com
>
> there are a few different configurations and designs, and also an
> article comparing the different configurations sound and technical wise
>

Direct links are always appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

drewe181
2007-01-06, 03:10
peter,

try this: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diycables.html

a small list of diy speaker cables, mains cables, and interconnector cables.
the comparison test i mentioned is on another site (i thought it was on tnt-audio) I'll try and find it and post the link

-D

drewe181
2007-01-06, 03:21
got it!!

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/interconnects/DIYSpeakerCablesp1.html

fairly lengthy read but it just goes to show that just because some cables are quite expensive doesn't mean they they're worth it

enjoy
-D