PDA

View Full Version : Best way to set up MusicIP dependency?

hunta
2007-01-04, 13:39
A while back someone here (thank you) helped me establish a dependency between SlimServer running as a Windows service and MusicIP (or MusicMagic Mixer as it was then) running as a Windows service so that SS would only start up once MMM was up and running. Ever since I've been creating the dependency registry entry by hand every time I upgrade SS. It's a bit of a drag though. I'd export it, but I'm not sure what else in the registry branch may change (I don't think you can export just one key).

Surely there's a better way to do this?!

Siduhe
2007-01-04, 13:49
I set MIP up to run headless, and that seems to have solved any problems I had about the order of startup. I think you may need a premium key to run the MIP headless as a server, but it was otherwise totally painless.

Just follow the instructions at http://www.musicip.com/mixer/server.jsp

Then set Slimserver to start automatically and use MIP. No ordering, no dependencies even though I've installed and reinstalled both apps a couple of times now.

Using the MIP web UI took a bit of getting used to, but I tend to just open up the application and save the cache before exiting if I need to make any major changes.

hunta
2007-01-04, 16:55
I'm running headless too, but hadn't twigged that the start-up order issue had actually been resolved. I've removed the dependency altogether and it seems perfectly happy.

Thanks for the pointer too with saving the cache from the app - I was trying to work out whether the app and the service share a library. I guess that answer that one.

Andrew