PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox mixed with other servers

bluesdoc
2007-01-03, 20:00
I currently use I Tunes to run both basic Apple Express wireless receivers and a high-end computer-USB DAC. I Tunes also is necessary to turn on the remote speaker locations. I'd like to add in a Squeezebox or two (would consider eventually replacing all the Apple units if the sound is that different). Is this workable? will the music be synchronized in the various locations? other thoughts? thanks. BluesDoc

ps- if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move the post

funkstar
2007-01-04, 03:12
Slimserver can make use of your iTunes library, however you won't be able to play any DRM restricted tracks (ones purchased from iTunes Store for example). Other than Slimserver using the iTunes library file there is no real link between the two systems so having a Squeezebox and an Airport Express sycronised isn't really possible as far as i know.

Personally i would expect the SqueezeBox to sound a lot better than the Airport, you also get a lovely screen on the SB :)

bluesdoc
2007-01-04, 06:59
thanks for your reply. I don;t doubt the SB will sound better, but its complicated. I still need the speaker control feature of Itunes. Plus I have AE already in areas where the SQ is not likely to be appreciated and hate to replace them all simultaneously. And the box itself will be hidden away in closets, etc. I am really wanting to integrate the different types of servers (including the USB-DAC in the main listening space) so they can be run by one software program and have the sound synchronized. So far I can do that fine without SB....I just hate to be missing out on all the SB fun.

funkstar
2007-01-05, 12:44
In that case it doesn't sound like the SB is for you. which is a shame

bluesdoc
2007-01-05, 20:33
Thanks and you may be right....but..I'm not ready to give up just yet.....lets see if anyone has additional suggestions....plus new software is being developed all the time.