PDA

View Full Version : scanner.exe never stops

Paul W Panish
2007-01-01, 09:05
I'm having a problem slim server constantly rescanning my library. When the scan finally finishes the notification that Slim Server is still scanning my library disappears for a few minutes, and then the scan starts up again. I'm running 6.5.1 - 11059 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
and I'm using MusicMagic (musicIP, whatever...), no iTunes.

I've deleted all playlists after reading a few related threads. Now the only playlists are the MusicMagix Mix, and MusicMagic Now Playing.

I usally just kill the scanner.exe process to stop listening to my disk grind away, but this clearly isn't a desirable method.

I'm seeing the following entries in the log, so I assume the database commit is failing, but I can't pull much more out of it than that.

2007-01-01 10:40:52.9646 commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.
2007-01-01 10:40:52.9647 Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.
2007-01-01 10:40:52.9649 ERROR: DBD::mysql::db commit failed: Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.

2007-01-01 10:40:52.9649 ERROR: Backtrace follows:

2007-01-01 10:40:52.9651 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::throw_exception (/PerlApp/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 606)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Schema::txn_do (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 241)
frame 2: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 233)
frame 3: Slim::Music::Import::setIsScanning (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 152)
frame 4: Slim::Music::Import::launchScan (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Commands.pm line 1714)
frame 5: Slim::Control::Commands::rescanCommand (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1483)
frame 6: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1483)
frame 7: Slim::Control::Request::execute (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 772)
frame 8: Slim::Control::Request::executeRequest (C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server/Plugins/MusicMagic/Plugin.pm line 322)
frame 9: Plugins::MusicMagic::Plugin::checker (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/Timers.pm line 181)
frame 10: Slim::Utils::Timers::checkTimers (slimserver.pl line 495)
frame 11: main::idle (slimserver.pl line 445)
frame 12: main::main (slimserver.pl line 58)
frame 13: PerlSvc::Interactive (perlsvc.pl line 1486)
frame 14: PerlSvc::_interactive (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 15: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

Any help would be appreciated.

SlimChances
2007-01-03, 07:21
I have the same problem. Thought it was Folding@Home project that was causing my hard drive to work so hard but it is in fact scanner.exe a Slimserver program. I also would like help. I do not see any option under Server settings that allows one to turn off the scanning feature. This might be a possible improvement for the next server version.

Siduhe
2007-01-03, 07:46
There was a reported problem with runaway scanners and MusicIP integration with early versions of 6.5.1, but this was marked resolved in the latest versions. Are you running the latest nightly ?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4066

A quick possible workaround to solve the problem would be to reset the MusicIP reload interval to 0 in Slimserver MusicMagic settings, but then any changes you make to your MusicIP database won't be picked up automatically in Slimserver, you will need to do a full clear and rescan.

If you're using the latest version and others have the same problem, it may be the bug needs to be reopened.

SlimChances
2007-01-04, 07:38
I am not using Music Magic. My version is:
SlimServer Version: 6.5.0 - 9916 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.7 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

My hard drive is continuously grinding away since I upgraded to 6.5 version.

Siduhe
2007-01-04, 08:01
Are you using Itunes integration, or Lazy Search or the Custom Browse plugin (where some people have reported similar issues) ? If you are using any of these, try disabling them, and then kill slimserver and start it back up again. If it works, without the plugin, post back and someone will probably be able to help you get the plugin working again too.

If you still experience the same problems, couple of things you could try.

First, kill Slimserver and delete the cache file. Then start up Slimserver and let it build a new library - if you experience the same problem, that will rule out a database corruption.

Do you have any shortcuts in your library or playlists ? If so, I would check that none of the shortcuts are recursive or the playlists refer to files which no longer exist - this might send Slimserver into a kind of loop which could account for what you are seeing

If you still experience the same problem, have you tried 6.5.1 (the latest nightly version of Slimsever) ? There are a whole load of small, safe bug fixes in this version which is a big improvement over 6.5.0.

SlimChances
2007-01-04, 08:58
Thanks,

The only plugins I have are Biography, Lyrics and a weather plugin.
I have deleted the cache and I am now recanning my library. I do not think I have any shortcuts, unless you mean favorites.
I will let you know what happens. I am considering moving to 6.5.1 but for now I will leave it.

SlimChances
2007-01-04, 14:49
Sure enough my playlists contain file paths that don't exist. That was probably my issue. Thanks

zeppie
2007-01-20, 16:14
I too have had the same problem since upgrading to 6.5 and now even 6.5.1. I get as many versions of scanner.exe running simultaneously as my cpu will allow.

WinXPsp2
no plugins (except alien)

I have uninstalled, done a clean install and spent the last week with "tech support" that claim they never heard of such a bug.

Is the option to uninstall and go back to 6.3? or just give up and go with roku, sonos, or some other hardware/software combo. I am underwhelmed by the tech support - which they admit they don't know what is causing the problem.

Help appreciated as I am hours and $s into this.

Thanks