PDA

View Full Version : MusicIP Icons not displaying

surge
2006-12-31, 09:59
Trying to setup MusicIP with my SB3 and can't seem to get it working.

Have installed version 1.7.1 of MusicIP, which has completed scanning/validating my library.

Have gone to Slimserver(v 6.5.1) and on the Server Settings/Plugins page, have the MusicMagic box checked, and a HTTP Port of 10002, which corresponds to the Services Port specified in MusicIP.

Have rescanned my libray within SlimServer.

Not seeing the MM icon which is to appear with each entry.

Thanks........

snarlydwarf
2006-12-31, 11:42
Try restarting SlimServer: it needs to start after MusicMagic, I am not sure if just enabling the plugin will be enough.

There is also a checkbox on the first page of server settings to use the MusicMagic tags... it is a bit misleading in phrasing, I think: the question is really "I have musicmagic, do you want me to use it?" You don't have a choice of using MM/MusicIP and not importing tags.

(Which IMHO is a bug: importing the tags seems silly since my library tags are more accuracte... MM seems to do odd things sometimes with UTF stuff. And I dislike the MM Genres...)

surge
2007-01-01, 00:34
Restarted SlimServer with no luck.

I have gone through all the drop downs on the Server Steeings page, and the only mention of MusicIp/MusicMagic are those on the Plugins page.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.....

Diana
2007-01-01, 03:33
Snarlydwarf >>> I think Surge is right that the only reference to MusicMagic in Server Settings is on the plugins page.

Surge >>> Just tried to install MusicIP myself - with similar problems to yours. Did you 'Start' the API service in MusicIP's settings? (I think this is necessary for SS to use MM.) After several 'unable to start - try another port' errors, it did mysteriously seem to start. But after a rescan in SS and a restart of both programs, I still didn't get the promised 'MM' icon on my SB (or anywhere!).

However, MusicIP had quietly overwritten all my track number tags and inserted its own scheme (which seemed to include using a single track number for all songs in an album!) Arrgggggh!!!!!

I have now uninstalled MusicIP, and am currently reinstating my correctly-tagged music files from the back-up drive.

I wonder whether the best solution might be to review whether you *really* need MusicIP?

Very best wishes for a simple, bug-free and musical New Year!

snarlydwarf
2007-01-01, 12:04
Snarlydwarf >>> I think Surge is right that the only reference to MusicMagic in Server Settings is on the plugins page.

No, there is one on Server Settings/Basic Settings:

MUSICMAGIC
SlimServer can use your MusicMagic program as source for title and genre information. Additionally you can generate instant mixes on genre, artist and song level. Check the box below to import your MusicMagic Library information.

If you do not set that to Use MusicMagic, it won't work.

However, MusicIP had quietly overwritten all my track number tags and inserted its own scheme (which seemed to include using a single track number for all songs in an album!) Arrgggggh!!!!!

It shouldnt write into your music files unless you tell it to...

surge
2007-01-01, 12:15
The API in MusicIP was started, but I stopped/started it(several times, with the noted 'Try another Port' msg from above).

After that, the MusicMagic option did appear in the Server/Basic tab within SS.

Selected that and rescanned, with the icons now being displayed.

Appears as though things are working. Will contine to play around.

Thanks for all your help......

Diana
2007-01-01, 14:35
No, there is one on Server Settings/Basic Settings:...
It shouldnt write into your music files unless you tell it to...

Snarlydwarf >>> What a puzzle! I'm afraid there definitely isn't such an item on my Server Settings/Basic Settings page. Does the option you describe only appear after installing the MM software from the download? Or - as Surge's post suggests - does it appear after the API service is running (?)

I certainly didn't ask MM to re-write my tags. But the track numbers were seriously messed up. (Thank God for SyncToy - I had a copy to re-install from: only took three hours!)

(Does this look as though something went wrong during my install? I'm beginning to think so. But the MM forums do imply folk experience a lot of difficulties with MM. Not a package that you could confidently recommend your gran should try for herself, I'd say!)

Surge >>> Good to hear that you're up and running!

snarlydwarf
2007-01-01, 14:45
Does the option you describe only appear after installing the MM software from the download?

Probably. Only if it detects the API is my guess.

And I certainly didn't ask MM to re-write my tags.

Never used the Windows version of MMM/Mip, but from the stuff I read there is something about archiving the scanning to the files itself. Ah, it seems from their docs to be called "Archive Analysis"... don't use that.

The full scan from MIP can take... days. So archiving it somehow is good.. but on linux I just copy the m3lib database it creates.

(Does this look as though something went wrong during my install? I'm beginning to think so. But the MM forums do imply folk experience a lot of difficulties with MM. Not a package that you could confidently recommend your gran should try for herself, I'd say!)

Yeah, it was a struggle to make it happy on Linux, too, though it has gotten a bit better. It still seems to confuse my tags some (not the ones in the files themselves, but the "merged" ones when it comes to importing it within Slimserver).

I've only used it as headless on Linux so my only interface is a very naked web page.

Did you let it analyze your music? It does take.. days. Have it do a couple directories first before you give it the whole library.

Diana
2007-01-02, 01:45
...Yeah, it was a struggle to make it happy on Linux, too, though it has gotten a bit better. It still seems to confuse my tags some (not the ones in the files themselves, but the "merged" ones when it comes to importing it within Slimserver).

I've only used it as headless on Linux so my only interface is a very naked web page.

Did you let it analyze your music? It does take.. days. Have it do a couple directories first before you give it the whole library.

I tried MM with WinAMP (which has it as a plugin) and then with SS. It appeared to analyze the majority of my music quite quickly - a couple of hours, I think; but then I only have c. 3500-ish tracks. It was only later that I noticed it had written over the tracknumber tag in most of the files it had analyzed.

But your explanation about 'Archive Analysis' may account for this: I didn't configure any options before starting MM; looks like I should have read the manual first!!! The MusicIP forums do carry a lot of complaints about tags getting corrupted - so this may be a common mistake (is it a feature or a bug???)

I had rather lost faith in MM, and had pretty much decided to abandon it; but it seems you found it worth persevering with. How come? What is it about MM that made you persevere?

(I may also ask this question on the 3rd Party Plugins forum, as this conversation is moving in that direction - apologies to Surge for moving off the original subject here!)

snarlydwarf
2007-01-02, 09:22
I had rather lost faith in MM, and had pretty much decided to abandon it; but it seems you found it worth persevering with. How come? What is it about MM that made you persevere?

Well, part of it is so that it can analyze tracks for MusicBrainz. The results of someone doing an Analyze are essential to generate a PUID on MusicBrainz... Since a lot of my music is ... rare, I analyze it with MIP so MusicBrainz works...

I do sometimes make playlists from it, but I have never had one of those enlightened moments some MIP users seem to have... ("Oh this playlist! It's incredible! I would never put these songs together, but this is brilliant!")

thing-fish
2007-01-02, 12:46

That's disableable, if you will. I don't remember if it's a default or not, but MusicIP can be configured to leave your tags alone and store everything, including its analysis, in an external database. I use the Picard Tagger for tagging and MusicIP for Mixing, and even allowing MusicIP to store its analysis in the file, it doesn't corrupt my tags

I wonder whether the best solution might be to review whether you *really* need MusicIP?

I know that wasn't directed at me, but I gotta tell you, no MusicMagic = no SlimServer = wouldn't have bought a Squeezebox for housewarming/Christmas, from my perspective. Being able to make mixes the way MusicIP does was a must-have feature for me and my family to navigate through our library. While I'd like to see MusicIP beef up their API and headless operations, and would like to see the Slim and MusicIP products have better integration in general, my family essentially doesn't play music through the Squeezebox unless it's courtesy of a MusicIP mix. That's not to say that I don't listen to podcasts or internet radio or whatever on the Squeezebox, but when it comes to listening to music, MusicIP via SlimServer is how my family is listening.

Diana
2007-01-03, 01:24
snarlydwarf / thing-fish >>> Many thanks for giving me your good ideas about MusicIP. I can see I have to revisit this.

I think I'll start the right way round this time by reading the info on the MusicIP and SD sites *before* pressing 'go' on the installation!

Thank you both for troubling to reply. Best wishes

Diana
2007-01-03, 10:36
Oh, dear! Abject apologies to MusicIP! It did not overwrite my tracknumber tags: I think the irregularities I noticed had been introduced by one of the look-up databases when I did the original ripping of four or five CDs. I just hadn't noticed before. But when I looked at the backup music library, the oddnesses were there, too; and MusicIP had been nowhere near that data.

snarlydwarf / thing-fish >>> Apologies to you, too, for giving misleading information when you were being helpful. But you did encourage me to have another look at MusicIP (which is how I discovered my mistake). Thanks for that - I'm now looking forward to a successful install (when I've sorted my tags out!).

Best wishes

snarlydwarf
2007-01-03, 10:45
Well the MusicIP docs are sort of... unique.

There are some people who swear by it and think it's the greatest thing in music.. but then I am a random-play guy, and I have no playlists.. so I guess it isnt surprising that I have mixed feelings about it...