PDA

View Full Version : what type of HD?

fast eddie
2006-12-30, 00:38
Hi guys,

I am looking to get a big HD drive and was wondering if there is an easy way of finding out what type I need without taking my pc cover off - a bit inconvenient at the moment.

After looking in device manager I think I need an IDE but am not sure if there is a specific type.

Appologies for asking a basic question,

Thanks for any help,

Graham

Wonko
2006-12-30, 01:48
If you can find the model number then I suggest you search for the tech specs on the PC or motherboard manufacturer's web site. It will probably mention PATA and / or SATA which will tell you the drive types the mobo supports. IDE is Integrated Drive Electronics, which describes both PATA (older) and SATA (newer) interface types.
If you don't already know what's inside I wouldn't buy without taking the lid off (check you're not invalidating warranty first) - assuming it's going to be an additional drive then you'll need to make sure there's a free mounting bay and spare power cable. The PSU is unlikely to complain about the load from an additional drive but it would be worth checking that it's not underrated.
Hope this isn't teaching you to suck eggs, but don't forget to make sure that the HDD is adequately cooled, and think about how you're going to back up this large drive.
Hope this gets you started - good luck.

morberg
2006-12-30, 02:49
You might want to consider an external drive; they're cheap, easy to install and when/if you switch computers the move is trivial.

I just bought a My Book from Western Digital, but I don't think there's any big differences between brands/models. The one thing to consider is if you want a small drive with no external power supply (expensive) or a standard drive that needs external power.

Wonko
2006-12-30, 03:41
Agreed - an external drive is easiest to plug in and go.
I'm not so sure about there being no difference between brands - the lack of adequate cooling is probably the main issue which causes drives to cook and die prematurely (I've read about Maxtor problems in this area, but it probably affects most types without fans to some degree).

fast eddie
2006-12-30, 04:15
So what do you guys think of this:

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=44D2&CategorySelectedId=11026&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11026&InMerch=1

Would I be able to use this to store my music and run SS from my pc and just point my SB to this drive on my home network?

Wonko
2006-12-30, 10:29
Hi Graham,
The WD device should work - suggest you do some googling for any feedback on reliability problems on any external device before you take the plunge though. You'd still need the PC turned on to run SlimServer - there are similar devices that can run Slimserver themselves (have a look at the '3rd party hardware' forum).
At 200 for 500GB it would be quite expensive per GB; an internal 400GB drive costs 80ish. If you don't need the network connectivity then USB versions are cheaper.
It's down to personal choice really - if the flexibility of having an external drive is worth it to you then go for it! For 200 I'd probably try to have my cake and eat it with an internal 400GB drive and another 400GB drive in an external USB enclosure for backups.
HTH, M.

tyler_durden
2006-12-30, 13:41
Before you get an external drive, make sure the USB ports on your PC are USB 2 ports, NOT USB 1. USB 1 is found on old machines and is not fast enough. It might be OK to stream audio off the drive, but transferring all that music to the HDD will take weeks at USB 1 speed.

TD

peter
2006-12-31, 01:22
tyler_durden wrote:
> Before you get an external drive, make sure the USB ports on your PC are
> USB 2 ports, NOT USB 1. USB 1 is found on old machines and is not fast
> enough. It might be OK to stream audio off the drive, but transferring
> all that music to the HDD will take weeks at USB 1 speed.
>

Or even better: Buy a firewire drive if your PC has a firewire port.

Regards,
Peter