PDA

View Full Version : IR Remote - Change Broadcast Channel?

ceterisparibus
2006-12-29, 17:14
Seems my CD Player (Rega Planet) picks up on the the SB3s IR remote.

Is there a way to change the "channel" the remote transmits on?

Or is IR just IR plain & simple?

Thanks!

John

azinck3
2006-12-29, 17:21
Seems my CD Player (Rega Planet) picks up on the the SB3s IR remote.

Is there a way to change the "channel" the remote transmits on?

Or is IR just IR plain & simple?

Thanks!

John

Ah yes, others have observed this with this cd player. Check this thread for some of the common suggestions:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26234&highlight=rega+planet

and no, you can't "change the channel" of the remote. You can, however, change which codes the SB responds to then use a different remote to generate those commands. See the aforementioned thread for more info.

ceterisparibus
2006-12-29, 18:40
Ah yes, others have observed this with this cd player. Check this thread for some of the common suggestions:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26234&highlight=rega+planet

and no, you can't "change the channel" of the remote. You can, however, change which codes the SB responds to then use a different remote to generate those commands. See the aforementioned thread for more info.

Ah, thanks for the link! I may have to consider a WiFi PDA - I the idea of the http://<slimserver>/handheld/ browser UI.

I've been running Softsqueeze for the past two weeks and just received the SB3 this afternoon.

~70 disks out of 1000+ ripped to FLAC so far :)

Thanks again.

MelonMonkey
2006-12-30, 12:08
The unfortunate reality is that Slim were not careful or just outright careless when choosing the device ID and command codes for their commands.

Given the lack of reasearch to make sure they did not collide with other devices, they should have made sure to include two completely different device ID's in the remote and allow switching to the different set.

"Use another remote" is a pretty cheeky response when Slim has managed to engineer a physical layout for their controller that fits very well with the navigation concepts of the devices. The fit and finish on the new models is also superb. I'd not want to use any of my universals to control the Squeezebox to tell you the truth. And I've got various of the top-end Harmony models, Pronto and even Home Theater Master MX-850.

azinck3
2006-12-30, 13:14
The unfortunate reality is that Slim were not careful or just outright careless when choosing the device ID and command codes for their commands.

Given the lack of reasearch to make sure they did not collide with other devices, they should have made sure to include two completely different device ID's in the remote and allow switching to the different set.

"Use another remote" is a pretty cheeky response when Slim has managed to engineer a physical layout for their controller that fits very well with the navigation concepts of the devices. The fit and finish on the new models is also superb. I'd not want to use any of my universals to control the Squeezebox to tell you the truth. And I've got various of the top-end Harmony models, Pronto and even Home Theater Master MX-850.

This is a surprisingly bitter response to a conflict that seems to affect just one or two devices. Surely other audio hardware faces similar, occasional conflicts when used with a wide variety of brands from different nations. At least with the squeezebox we have a lot of possible solutions including using different remotes, web browsers, etc.