PDA

View Full Version : 6.5.1 Still Crashing

RonJeffries
2006-12-28, 03:32
My 6.5.1 continues to crash every 15 minutes or so. In Windows Event Viewer, about the time of the crash, I have this message:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't call method "id" on an undefined value at /PerlApp/Slim/Player/ReplayGain.pm line 128.

Advice, please ...

mherger
2006-12-28, 03:52
> My 6.5.1 continues to crash every 15 minutes or so. In Windows Event
> Viewer, about the time of the crash, I have this message:

Do you have any 3rd party plugins installed? What file formats are you
using? What player?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

RonJeffries
2006-12-28, 05:01
No Plugins that didn't come with the system, and I have turned off most of those, if I could figure out what they were. Enabled are
CLI, Date/Time Screensaver, MoodLogic, MusicMagic, Podcasts, Random Mix, Rescan, RSS, Save Playlist, SlimTris, Visualizer, and Windows Prevent System Standby.

I'd be delighted to turn off more because all I ever do is play random music.

Essentially all my music is FLAC, with an occasional MP3.

I'm just running one Squeezebox, which updated itself about a month ago. The system almost never crashes when it's not playing, but will rarely run for as long as a half hour or hour without crashing when the Squeezebox is playing.

I'm tempted to back up to the previous version just from superstition, but the error is so explicit I was hoping someone at SD could figure it out.

Thanks ...

Triode
2006-12-28, 05:08
Are you using the latest 6.5.1? This appears to be similar to bug 4365 which was fixed in October.

mherger
2006-12-28, 05:19
Before we go any further: make sure your antivirus scanner does _not_ scan
*.myi and *.myd files.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

RonJeffries
2006-12-28, 05:21
Are you using the latest 6.5.1? This appears to be similar to bug 4365 which was fixed in October.

I thought so but will bring it down and install it again to be sure. What tricks do I have to perform to install it correctly, other than just execute the exe?

Thanks,

Triode
2006-12-28, 05:24
Just executing the exe should work. As long as the slim.exe file changes you should be OK.

RonJeffries
2006-12-28, 05:32
Brought the new one down. It went for a squeezebox upgrade. Running it now to see how long it lasts ... hold on, we'll see what happens.

Thanks,

RonJeffries
2006-12-28, 05:41
Before we go any further: make sure your antivirus scanner does _not_ scan
*.myi and *.myd files.

Verified. I've just re-upgraded to whatever 6.5.1 is out there, and the Squeezebox then downloaded new firmware. First install got a panic on some Perl dll, so I killed Firefox and ran the EXE again and it installed without comment. Testing now, will report back ...

Thanks,

RonJeffries
2006-12-28, 18:05
Verified. I've just re-upgraded to whatever 6.5.1 is out there, and the Squeezebox then downloaded new firmware. First install got a panic on some Perl dll, so I killed Firefox and ran the EXE again and it installed without comment. Testing now, will report back ...

Thanks,

The Squeezebox and server have now been running solid since about 8 AM with no crashes. Reinstalling 6.5.1 and accepting whatever upgrade it offered on the squeezebox seems to have done the job.

The Squeezebox upgrade was odd. It said to hold brightness, so I did. Nothing happened. Then it went black. Then it came back up and said hold brightness. I did. Finally it said it was upgrading the firmware, and then everything was OK.

No idea what went wrong with the previous 6.5.1 install but doing it today seems to have made the system, and me, happy.

Thanks for sticking with me ...

R