PDA

View Full Version : FLAC album art weirdness (stupid noob tricks)

totoro
2006-12-27, 22:58
I recently transcoded my collection from alac to flac. As part of the process, I stuck all of the album art in the same directories as their respective albums, all named "cover.jpg" or "cover.gif".

My tree structure is left over from itunes, so it's
Artist/Album/*.flac, cover.jpg

Weirdly, a few of the covers just don't appear in the web interface, no matter what I do. The directories in question don't have any weird characters in their names (there are spaces, but this is winxp, so I wouldn't think this would be a problem, and the vast majority work fine).

I can't see any obvious commonality here: the ones that aren't showing up are all .jpg files. They open up fine in gimp, I've tried re-saving them at different sizes, etc, all to no avail.

But I've tried uninistalling and reinstalling the server, and exactly the same files ended up not working, so there must be _something_ about them the server doesn't like.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of behavior? Is it something to do with the db getting wedged in a funny state?

On that topic, is there a mysql client people like to use for browsing the table structures, executing and looking at results of queries, etc?

adhawkins
2006-12-28, 03:51
Hi,

In article <totoro.2jihq01167285602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
totoro<totoro.2jihq01167285602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Weirdly, a few of the covers just don't appear in the web interface, no
> matter what I do. The directories in question don't have any weird
> characters in their names (there are spaces, but this is winxp, so I
> wouldn't think this would be a problem, and the vast majority work
> fine).

Do they appear in the album list? Do they appear when you 'drill down' into
an album's details?

If the first is no, and the second is yes, then you probably just need to do
a full 'clear and rescan'.

Andy

totoro
2006-12-28, 08:08
Hi,

In article <totoro.2jihq01167285602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
totoro<totoro.2jihq01167285602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Weirdly, a few of the covers just don't appear in the web interface, no
> matter what I do. The directories in question don't have any weird
> characters in their names (there are spaces, but this is winxp, so I
> wouldn't think this would be a problem, and the vast majority work
> fine).

Do they appear in the album list? Do they appear when you 'drill down' into
an album's details?

If the first is no, and the second is yes, then you probably just need to do
a full 'clear and rescan'.

Andy

They don't appear at all. I tried a couple full rescans to see what would happen, but nothing changed.

I _did_ have something similar happen with my alac file tree, with one particular album (oddly enough, that one is working fine now with my flac file tree).

Kyle
2006-12-28, 08:57
Do you have Windows set to show the .jpg suffix? I had a problem with this. None of my albums showed up in Slimserver until I changed this setting. It's under control panel>folder options>file types. Highlight jpeg files and hit the advanced button to check the appropriate box.

totoro
2006-12-28, 09:10
Do you have Windows set to show the .jpg suffix? I had a problem with this. None of my albums showed up in Softsqueeze until I changed this setting. It's under control panel>folder options>file types. Highlight jpeg files and hit the advanced button to check the appropriate box.

I do. The vast majority of album covers are showing up. Somewhere around 1% are not showing up. Odd, but not catastrophic. Really, I'm trying to figure out whether this is worth entering a bug, or if it's just user error (I hate when others enter bugs against me which are user errors, so I try not to do it myself :)).

Kyle
2006-12-28, 09:33
You also might try removing one of the albums that is not showing and doing a full clear and rescan. Check and make sure the album is gone. Then return the album to your music file and scan for new and changed music.

totoro
2006-12-28, 09:38
You also might try removing one of the albums that is not showing and doing a full clear and rescan. Check and make sure the album is gone. Then return the album to your music file and scan for new and changed music.

I'll try that when I get home from work. One other obvious thing I haven't tried is to replace cover.jpg in one of those directories with one that _is_ showing up somewhere else.

Thanks for the help.

adhawkins
2006-12-28, 10:08
Hi,

In article <totoro.2jj76n1167318601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
totoro<totoro.2jj76n1167318601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> They don't appear at all. I tried a couple full rescans to see what
> would happen, but nothing changed.

The only thing I can suggest then is that you check the permissions on the
files. What OS are you using (XP I think?)

If Slimserver is running as a service under a particular user, make sure
that user has access to the cover art files that aren't working (compare the
permissions with one that does).

Andy

totoro
2006-12-28, 10:50
Hi,

In article <totoro.2jj76n1167318601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
totoro<totoro.2jj76n1167318601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> They don't appear at all. I tried a couple full rescans to see what
> would happen, but nothing changed.

The only thing I can suggest then is that you check the permissions on the
files. What OS are you using (XP I think?)

If Slimserver is running as a service under a particular user, make sure
that user has access to the cover art files that aren't working (compare the
permissions with one that does).

Andy

I'm using xp. I'm not sure what user slimserver is running as (I need to check), but I assume it's either my login or system. I can edit the files in question and save them, so if it's that account, that's not the issue.

I wasn't aware that slimserver got installed as a service. I'll look into this when I get home.

Thanks,
Michael

totoro
2006-12-29, 20:13
The permissions are the same as the ones on the files that do work.

I think I'll give up on this one now: it's beginning to feel too much like work :)-- maybe I'll just listen to some music instead...

Not sure there's any point in entering a bug about it, since I'd be willing to bet that it's really hard to reproduce, and still could turn out to be the result of some error on my part.

Yogi
2006-12-30, 17:58
I think I know the solution to this one!

Open file explorer in win xp. Then go to the folder where your music is located. Choose Thumbnails from the View menu. You should then be able to see all the folders as album images. Do a full rescan in slimserver. The album art should then be present :-)

I became aware of this when I was copying some folders earlier tonight. I am mostly using cue/flac images. I guess win xp does something to the folders when they are displayed this way, and maybe this is what slimserver use..

Hope this helps!

totoro
2007-01-08, 18:34
There was one commonality to all but one of the problematic directories: funny characters in the name.

I run on windows, and got most of my music into flac by transcoding from my itunes alac tree. Itunes put what looked like weird windows (ie, not even utf8) characters on some of the names of the directories. Also, one had a "'" in it. Fixed these, did a full rescan, and everything was ok.

There was one that didn't: the permissions looked ok, but when I created a whole new image in gimp (_without_ cutting and pasting from the original or using it in any way), that one automagically fixed itself.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else has such issues with album art.

adhawkins
2007-01-09, 08:40
Hi,

In article <totoro.2k4dgb1168306501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
totoro<totoro.2k4dgb1168306501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> I thought I'd post this in case anyone else has such issues with album
> art.

Glad to hear you got it working Ok. I certainly try to avoid having 'odd'
characters in the filename. I replace most with a '-' sign, and use a
library (I tag my FLACs using a tool I wrote - flactag) to convert accented
characters to their 'plain' versions where possible.

Andy

CCRDude
2007-01-09, 08:56
Creating a whole new image reminds me of something I experienced in tagging as well: sometimes you download a jpg cover, but it's actually just a bmp with the jpg file extension. Windows will give a fine preview, most graphic apps will load it correctly, but a few taggers had problems with those. Was the case for only 2 out of a few hundred albums here, so I was hunting for the reason quite some time as well ;)

totoro
2007-01-09, 09:51
Creating a whole new image reminds me of something I experienced in tagging as well: sometimes you download a jpg cover, but it's actually just a bmp with the jpg file extension. Windows will give a fine preview, most graphic apps will load it correctly, but a few taggers had problems with those. Was the case for only 2 out of a few hundred albums here, so I was hunting for the reason quite some time as well ;)

I _guess_ that could have been the case, but I did export the one file as a jpg in gimp. I'd be surprised if gimp didn't save it correctly, by this point in its development.

Harani
2007-01-09, 10:11
As i've just discvered in another thread (and am now off to check my own files) the albumart name is case sensitive. Folder.jpg is not the same as folder.jpg

If you have specified your album art files as "cover.jpg" you might want to check the ones not showing are all lowercase.