PDA

View Full Version : Update SlimServer on QNAP TS-201?

cvenn
2006-12-27, 06:27
I just got a Squeezebox 3 and a TS-201 for Christmas :)

The TS-201 is running SlimServer 6.2.2 which seems quite different from the version 6.5 I had previously installed on my PC to try out.

Is it possible (and safe/recommended) to upgrade my TS-201 to SlimServer version 6.5, and if so how would I go about it?

Thanks all...

Jerryacg
2006-12-27, 07:18
I just got a Squeezebox 3 and a TS-201 for Christmas :)

The TS-201 is running SlimServer 6.2.2 which seems quite different from the version 6.5 I had previously installed on my PC to try out.

Is it possible (and safe/recommended) to upgrade my TS-201 to SlimServer version 6.5, and if so how would I go about it?

Thanks all...

It all depends on RAM. I believe the 201 has 128mb. If you look through the QNAP forums, and other NAS forums on this site, it appears(to me) that 6.5 requires at least 512mb. The SS upgrades are availble on the Progressive AV website, a link to which is included elsewhere. As to whether or not its safe/recomended, I think you may be the first person on this forum to try with a 201, so it would be interesting to see if it works. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to upgrade past 6.3.

Fifer
2006-12-27, 08:00
It all depends on RAM. I believe the 201 has 128mb. If you look through the QNAP forums, and other NAS forums on this site, it appears(to me) that 6.5 requires at least 512mb.

Jerry, I don't believe that's true. I've been running 6.5 quite happily on a TS-101 (64MB) since 6.5 was launched in September with no problems other than a sluggish web interface which is not unique to the Qnap. Performance using the remote UI is perfectly fine. I'd be very pissed if it wasn't as I need 6.5 for my Transporter.

cvenn
2006-12-27, 12:20
The SS upgrades are availble on the Progressive AV website, a link to which is included elsewhere.

I've found the upgrades for the TS-101 at http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/ but I can't find any specific to the TS-201.

Will the same updates work for the TS-201?

Jerryacg
2006-12-27, 12:29
I've found the upgrades for the TS-101 at http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/ but I can't find any specific to the TS-201.

Will the same updates work for the TS-201?

Short answer is I don't know. I would suggest contacting Paul at Progressive. Or starting a new thread on this forum asking any 201 users out there if they've upgraded to 6.5

cvenn
2006-12-27, 12:45
Thanks for the replies - much appreciated!

I'll see if I can contact Paul to get a definitive answer on this one.

Aluicious
2006-12-28, 15:45
I just got a TS-201 for Christmas. As I was already running Slimserver 6.5.1 on my PC, I was a bit annoyed that it didn't have at least 6.5 on it.

After copying my music onto the TS-201, my Squeezebox firmware had to be downgraded to work with the supplied Slimserver. The display worked, it looked like songs were playing, but no sound! Not happy.

After checking that the TS-101 code actually worked on the TS-201 (by extracting the binaries from the update & checking they run), I moved the existing Slimserver install to one side & installed the update, which re-upgraded my firmware. It works OK-ish. The web interface can be a tad slow. A tiny amount of swap is in use with 128Mb, so I guess a TS-101 would struggle even more. An idea I have is to (maybe) change the mysqld settings so less of them are running, hence more free memory.

Issues I have are an annoying "pop" at the start of any track (m4a files). I think this is an mplayer issue and I'm currently investigating. The PC version of 6.5.1's convert.conf uses different settings to the ones in the TS-101's 6.5, but I haven't yet checked whether this is a 6.5 issue or just the 6.5 version supplied with the TS-101 (i.e. just use mplayer instead of alac | lame - saves a process that way).

Cheers
Al

PS. This is my first post. Hi guys!

Jerryacg
2006-12-29, 03:03
I just got a TS-201 for Christmas. As I was already running Slimserver 6.5.1 on my PC, I was a bit annoyed that it didn't have at least 6.5 on it.

After copying my music onto the TS-201, my Squeezebox firmware had to be downgraded to work with the supplied Slimserver. The display worked, it looked like songs were playing, but no sound! Not happy.

After checking that the TS-101 code actually worked on the TS-201 (by extracting the binaries from the update & checking they run), I moved the existing Slimserver install to one side & installed the update, which re-upgraded my firmware. It works OK-ish. The web interface can be a tad slow. A tiny amount of swap is in use with 128Mb, so I guess a TS-101 would struggle even more. An idea I have is to (maybe) change the mysqld settings so less of them are running, hence more free memory.

Issues I have are an annoying "pop" at the start of any track (m4a files). I think this is an mplayer issue and I'm currently investigating. The PC version of 6.5.1's convert.conf uses different settings to the ones in the TS-101's 6.5, but I haven't yet checked whether this is a 6.5 issue or just the 6.5 version supplied with the TS-101 (i.e. just use mplayer instead of alac | lame - saves a process that way).

Cheers
Al

PS. This is my first post. Hi guys!

Al

Thanks for the post. Interesting to read your findings of 6.5 on a 201. The 101 does struggle with its 64mb. There are a few posts elsewhere from guys who have bought 201s and want to know if its ok to upgrade, so I'm sure any further information you could post would be greatly appreciated

roamingstudio
2006-12-29, 05:29
For those with a TS201 - vs TS101 - the main difference is in the U-Boot loader which kicks off the Linux process. This is responsible for defining the amount of memory on the system. There are minor changes in the linux GPL source code - mainly TS201 instead of TS101 - but otherwise everything should be identical.

Until I can lay my hands on a TS201 properly I cannot say for sure; but all evidence points to the systems being directly compatible : i.e. like a modern PC with 64mb or 128mb ram with U-Boot acting as the BIOS.

Aluicious
2007-01-02, 06:07
I eventually tracked the problem down to the way mplayer was being called in /opt/alac/playm4a-mp3 & /opt/alac/playm4a-wav.

I added the "nowaveheader" option in as shown:

playm4a-mp3: /opt/mplayer/bin/mplayer -novideo -vc dummy -vo null -cache 128 -af volume=0,resample=44100:0:1,channels=2 -ao pcm:nowaveheader:file=/dev/fd/4 "$FILE" 4>&1 1>&2 2>/dev/null | lame --silent -q "$QUALITY" -b "$BITRATE" - -

playm4a-wav: /opt/mplayer/bin/mplayer -novideo -vc dummy -vo null -cache 128 -af volume=0,resample=44100:0:1,channels=2 -ao pcm:nowaveheader:file=/dev/fd/4 "$FILE" 4>&1 1>&2 2>/dev/null

Cheers
Al

cvenn
2007-01-02, 06:40
I decided to try the upgrade anyway...

After upgrading to SS 6.5.0 (using the TS-101 instructions) everything seems to be working fine, although the web interface is really quite slow (very slow compared to SS running on my PC), and the SB remote control response is sometimes a bit slow.

I'll wait and see what future SS updates bring (performance-wise) and possibly consider a later addition of a Micro-ATX PC box to run SS and use the TS-201 only as a fileserver.