PDA

View Full Version : HomePlug networking?

Squirrel
2006-12-26, 02:16
One of those "why didn't I think of it before?" moments...

Not sure who's developing the SB hardware now that Logitech have bought Slim, but what would be really useful - a Squeezebox with built in HomePlug powerline networking.

It's more reliable than wireless, and as the SB needs power anyway it would make sense. All you'd need would be a powerline bridge somewhere near the server.

The way I'd see the SB3 product line:

Wired-only Ethernet
HomePlug
Wi-fi

Would still like to see a "standard" SB in a hi-fi form factor case with front panel controls as well. Transporter looks fantastic but I can't justify spending that kind of money on it. But a normal Squeezebox that can be slotted into the hi-fi rack and operated without the remote if needed (linked to an AV receiver via SPDIF) would be sweet. Add HomePlug and you're laughing.

trevtu
2006-12-26, 04:52
What a brilliant idea! I switched to a pair of Devolo 85mbs home plug units after problems with sound breakup and a stuttering display with a wireless connection and have never looked back, they work perfectly with the squeezebox and require almost no setting up.

Trevor.

bpa
2006-12-26, 05:10
I think you need to clarify your suggestions.

As I see it there are two possible configuration

1. Integrate Homeplug into SB in which case SB has to plug into wall socket - not a very convenient place for to see the SB display.

2. Integrate Homeplug into SB power adaptor and have a two cables from power supply to SB (power * Ethernet) or possibly a POE cable - this is nearly identical to the present situation except it would be more appropriate for Devolo (et al) to produce an integrated Homeplug and power supply for general use rather than Slim to get into production of Homeplug networking devices.