PDA

View Full Version : What does "Automatic Display Brightness" mean?

grimholtz
2006-12-25, 20:53
Hi,

In SlimServer Home->Player Settings->Display, there is an option called "Automatic Display Brightness:" with these choices:

Adjust Brightness Automatically
Adjust Brightness Manually

What does this mean? If set to automatic, does it mean the brightness control on the remote doesn't work?

thank you,
grimholtz

azinck3
2006-12-26, 21:45
Hi,

In SlimServer Home->Player Settings->Display, there is an option called "Automatic Display Brightness:" with these choices:

Adjust Brightness Automatically
Adjust Brightness Manually

What does this mean? If set to automatic, does it mean the brightness control on the remote doesn't work?

thank you,
grimholtz

I've really puzzled over this, too, and would be curious to get an answer.

kdf
2006-12-26, 22:37
On 26-Dec-06, at 8:45 PM, azinck3 wrote:
>
> I've really puzzled over this, too, and would be curious to get an
> answer.
>
after the time set in the screensaver timeout pref, the display dims
and the screensaver kicks in. If the auto dim is set to manual, then
the brightness does not change unless triggered by the brightness
button.
-kdf

azinck3
2006-12-27, 07:37
On 26-Dec-06, at 8:45 PM, azinck3 wrote:
>
> I've really puzzled over this, too, and would be curious to get an
> answer.
>
after the time set in the screensaver timeout pref, the display dims
and the screensaver kicks in. If the auto dim is set to manual, then
the brightness does not change unless triggered by the brightness
button.
-kdf

So how does this relate to the "Idle" and "Off" brightness settings? Are these settings irrelevant when auto dim is set to manual?

edit: actually, I know that "off" isn't irrelevant, but I guess maybe "Idle" is?

slimpy
2006-12-27, 08:06
So how does this relate to the "Idle" and "Off" brightness settings? Are these settings irrelevant when auto dim is set to manual?

edit: actually, I know that "off" isn't irrelevant, but I guess maybe "Idle" is?
It could be the brightness when the player is stopped (nothing playing)?

-s.

azinck3
2006-12-27, 09:00
It could be the brightness when the player is stopped (nothing playing)?

-s.

Perhaps...I guess the question really is: when "adjust automatically" is turned on, exactly what events trigger the brightness to be automatically adjusted, and what brightness levels are chosen when the brightness is automatically adjusted? Is the automatic brightness level pulled from a setting somewhere? It's funny that I've used this product for over 3 years and still don't have a full understanding of this particular setting (I've always just disabled it--don't like the brightness doing anything automatically).

kdf
2006-12-27, 11:40
>
> So how does this relate to the "Idle" and "Off" brightness settings?
> Are these settings irrelevant when auto dim is set to manual?
>
idle is when it is sitting idle, ie when the screensaver kicks in.. If
you have the auto brightness set to automatic, then when the player is
idle, you get the idle brightness setting. If it is set to manual,
then you get no change, and it stays at the brightness it was at until
you press the brightness button to change it. It was a preference for
those who didn't give a crap about any possible "burn-in" and
pathologically hated anything that was automatically changing things
when they weren't aware of it (most famous "my wife set it to dark and
now it keeps going blank.").

Chalk it up to a long list of really obscure prefs that really don't
accomplish a whole lot, save to quiet down the stomping feet at the
time.

-kdf

azinck3
2006-12-27, 12:08
>
> So how does this relate to the "Idle" and "Off" brightness settings?
> Are these settings irrelevant when auto dim is set to manual?
>
idle is when it is sitting idle, ie when the screensaver kicks in.. If
you have the auto brightness set to automatic, then when the player is
idle, you get the idle brightness setting. If it is set to manual,
then you get no change, and it stays at the brightness it was at until
you press the brightness button to change it. It was a preference for
those who didn't give a crap about any possible "burn-in" and
pathologically hated anything that was automatically changing things
when they weren't aware of it (most famous "my wife set it to dark and
now it keeps going blank.").

Chalk it up to a long list of really obscure prefs that really don't
accomplish a whole lot, save to quiet down the stomping feet at the
time.

-kdf

Thanks for the explanation, KDF. Your deep knowledge and experience with Slimserver are a real resource to the community.

grimholtz
2006-12-27, 12:29
Yes, many thanks for the clear answer. It's good to know I'm not the only one with this question.

But this brings me to another (perhaps existential) question. Why is there an "off" for the SB at all? I can press the "off" button, but the power doesn't seem to ever turn off unless I unplug the device, and the screen only turns off if I set "Brightness when off" to 0 (Dark).

IMHO, "off" on the remote and in the SlimServer is useless since the device never really is "off" and the screen is only black if you set this "really obscure pref" in a certain way.

"Off" terminology in SlimServer and on the remote just serves to confuse people like me :)

azinck3
2006-12-27, 12:38
Yes, many thanks for the clear answer. It's good to know I'm not the only one with this question.

But this brings me to another (perhaps existential) question. Why is there an "off" for the SB at all? I can press the "off" button, but the power doesn't seem to ever turn off unless I unplug the device, and the screen only turns off if I set "Brightness when off" to 0 (Dark).

IMHO, "off" on the remote and in the SlimServer is useless since the device never really is "off" and the screen is only black if you set this "really obscure pref" in a certain way.

"Off" terminology in SlimServer and on the remote just serves to confuse people like me :)

Indeed, off isn't really "off"--it's just another state that has its own array of settings (different brightness settings, different screensaver settings, and different playback settings--i.e.: paused). I think it's just to make people feel good because we're used to turning things off when we're not using them. I like it. I'm still used to the "off" paradigm and were it not there I imagine a lot of time would be wasted explaining to people why there's no power button.

grimholtz
2006-12-27, 12:43
were it not there I imagine a lot of time would be wasted explaining to people why there's no power button.

...as opposed to the one or two freaks like you and me who ask the corollary, as in this thread? :)

slimpy
2006-12-27, 13:56
I imagine a lot of time would be wasted explaining to people why there's no power button.
Instead we keep explaining why the server still needs to be running only to show the time and date ;-)
Even if the squeezebox doesn't really power off it still is in a state of very limited functionality. Only power, play brightness and size buttons have an effect when pressed on the remote. I like it this way.

-s.

grimholtz
2006-12-27, 14:45
Instead we keep explaining why the server still needs to be running only to show the time and date ;-)
Even if the squeezebox doesn't really power off it still is in a state of very limited functionality. Only power, play brightness and size buttons have an effect when pressed on the remote. I like it this way.

-s.

I also like it this way! I want my SB3 on all the time.