X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbruzzo
    • Jan 2006

harmony remote

Dear All,

What is the chance of Slimdevices bundling in some customized version of the new harmony 1000 remote (a little like The sonos remote) in the squeezebox/transporter packages?

Btw, I am a proud owner of a Nokia 770 with the beautiful Ben Klaas skin. The 770 is fine, but is a multipurpose device (it has no hardware buttons that are specifically designed with the management of a music database in mind).

Are we going to see a single-purpose device in future? ( I hope again with a Ben Klaas - designed interface!)

Thanks in advance,

Merry Xmas to you all

Giacomo
    SqbxSvr Running on MacMini Server

- 1 Transporter
    - 1 Boom
    - 1 Controller

http://www.last.fm/user/JackieBr/
    http://www.last.fm/label/rarenoiserecords
    http://www.rarenoiserecords.com

Support Mick Karn's family :
    www.rarenoiserecords.com/mick-karn-benefit-page

RareNoiseRecords Jukebox :
    www.rarenoiserecords.com/jukebox
  • SuperQ
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by gbruzzo
    Dear All,

What is the chance of Slimdevices bundling in some customized version of the new harmony 1000 remote (a little like The sonos remote) in the squeezebox/transporter packages?

Btw, I am a proud owner of a Nokia 770 with the beautiful Ben Klaas skin. The 770 is fine, but is a multipurpose device (it has no hardware buttons that are specifically designed with the management of a music database in mind).

Are we going to see a single-purpose device in future? ( I hope again with a Ben Klaas - designed interface!)

Thanks in advance,

Merry Xmas to you all

Giacomo
    the harmony 1000 remote is still just a remote.. it does not do any two-way communication or wifi.

Comment

• Peter
      • Apr 2005

harmony remote

gbruzzo wrote:
      > Dear All,
      >
      > What is the chance of Slimdevices bundling in some customized version
      > of the new harmony 1000 remote (a little like The sonos remote) in the
      > squeezebox/transporter packages?
      >
      > http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ontentid=12498
      >

Why not the remote from the Logitech Wireless DJ Music System?

Regards,
      Peter

Comment

• Browny
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Peter

Well seeing as Sean's title on his posts is now:

Director & General Manager,
        Logitech Streaming Media Systems

it would seem that this could well happen in the future...

Comment

• srshaw
          • Oct 2006

Wireless DJ remote

I would love to see an answer for what plans, if any, that Logitech has for developing/integrating a bi-directional remote that will work with Squeezebox/Slim Server, and has some kind of display. As much as I love my Squeezebox, I may have purchased the Wireless DJ if it had been available 14 months ago (maybe it was and I didn't know). I like having the table-top display of the Squeezebox, but I also want a handheld display when out of the room or too far away from the SB3. I have read numerous posts on these forums wrt using the Nokia 770, Pocket PC, Sony PSP, or (most recently) the Nintendo Wii, and I am close to purchasing something just for my SS needs, but before I do it would be nice to know that Logitech won't announce a new product one month after I get something.

Sean, if you see this, any thoughts?

Comment

• Rawkus
            • Apr 2007

Harmony 1000

Just bought the harmony 1000 because I've actually expected two-directional communication in a remote that costs around 400 Euros... so I didn't double-check first. Well... probably I'm going to sell it again.

I'm also a big fan of the Sonos remote and I'm looking for something like that for a long time to improve the squeezebox user handling. I'm not sure if a cell phone like nokia 770 or a pocket pc can fullfil my needs. Anybody has an idea or a hint?

Do I need to buy the original (sonos)?

Regards, Chris

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Rawkus
              I'm not sure if a cell phone like nokia 770 or a pocket pc can fullfil my needs.
              The Nokia 770/N800 is not a cell phone. It has a much larger screen and is much higher resolution. It's more like a Linux PocketPC.
              Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• gbruzzo
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Peter

Regards,
                Peter
                Did not have a look at it initially, but yes, it does look like a good pairing!

Giacomo
                SqbxSvr Running on MacMini Server

- 1 Transporter
                - 1 Boom
                - 1 Controller

http://www.last.fm/user/JackieBr/
                http://www.last.fm/label/rarenoiserecords
                http://www.rarenoiserecords.com

Support Mick Karn's family :
                www.rarenoiserecords.com/mick-karn-benefit-page

RareNoiseRecords Jukebox :
                www.rarenoiserecords.com/jukebox

Comment

• Pale Blue Ego
                  • Apr 2005

There are reports that the Harmony 1000 is very clunky and laden with problems. The newest firmware actually removes some functionality because they haven't figured out how to implement it properly. Lots of complaints by users of this remote.

I've had the Harmony 880 for a few years, and it's okay. The hard buttons often require several presses and sometimes the whole thing locks up. The original charging station was a bad design that has been fixed (at no cost to customers).

Lots of people don't like the web-based wizard-style setup system, but believe me, it's better than all the fiddling and programming required to properly set up a Pronto remote (though the Pronto does work better and is higher-quality).

Bottom line, we still don't have a good universal that works well and that the family can use with little instruction.

Maybe the guys from Slim can create a SB-oriented remote that also does the universal thing well. Here's hoping.

Comment

Working...