PDA

View Full Version : Q:Favorite online station

mmg_fan
2006-12-23, 18:14
I guess I would say that it's a combination of both streaming quality and the content.

I've been a longtime fan of KCRW music, especially the 'Morning Becomes Eclectic' show, though not suure how the streaming quality compares with other online stations.

Just discovered 'radio io jazz' which I'm really liking.

snarlydwarf
2006-12-23, 19:05
lastfm://user/snarlydwarf/loved

Or is that cheating? :P

aubuti
2006-12-23, 19:18
Hard to give a single favorite, but I quite like WMVY from Martha's Vineyard, Mass. It *is* a station geared to baby-boomers, but it's not like those "classic rock" stations that refuse to play anything you haven't heard at least 300 times. I've learned about quite a few new, and new-ish, artists from WMVY. Recently got a friend from the UK hooked on it, too.

Radioio World is another good one.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-12-23, 19:21
A long-time favorite is Groove Salad. I also like Radio Paradise. And lately I've enjoyed the wonders of Pagan Pentagram Radio.

dusura
2006-12-26, 20:53
I guess I would say that it's a combination of both streaming quality and the content.

I've been a longtime fan of KCRW music, especially the 'Morning Becomes Eclectic' show, though not suure how the streaming quality compares with other online stations.

Yeah, KCRW's "Morning Becomes Eclectic" is great.

adrianh1960
2007-01-01, 05:40

I agree with you - RadioioJAZZ is my current favorite

adamslim
2007-01-01, 07:14
Radio 3 - Mixing It is the single most expensive radio show around, if my Amazon history is anything to go by :)

Adam

utowana
2007-01-02, 19:44
I'll jump on the bandwagon. I listen to radioio jazz (Dr. Mike) whenever I'm at home and not listening to my stored music. He does a pretty job introducing you to lesser known artists (you can get tired of hearing the guys from the 50's for the millionth time). If you listen long enough over several days, you start to hear some play lists at work, but I forgive him that. As long as it is occasional. At work, I stream Live365 jazz stations...there are 3 or 4 that offer a nice variety. Forever Cool is pretty good. There is also a station (can't remember the name) that features jazz organ (hammond organ). It is kind of neat for an hour or so.

I've never understood the Pandora type phenomenon. When I listen to music I either want to hear something that I want to hear, or I want someone more knowledgeable than me to put together a playlist that will interest and simulate me. Pandora style approaches seem to be a bland middle ground that I find uninteresting. My two cents.

Mike Anderson
2007-01-03, 00:32
Radioio is quite good overall. Two of my favs are RadioioAmbient and RadioioBeats.

Well worth the premium service.

sc53
2007-01-03, 10:05
I LOVE Gruene With Envy on Live365. It's an FM quality stream of alt.country/singer-songwriter/country-folk-rock stuff that has introduced me to tons of new artists. I thought I had the Texas thing pretty well covered with lots of albums by Townes Van Zandt, Robert Earl Keen, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock, Joe Ely, Slaid Cleaves and such, but Gruene With Envy has broadened my horizons in this genre quite a bit. The stream is of good quality too, I think Live365 lists it at 56k.

Jeff52
2007-01-03, 12:31
Radio Paradise. Commercial free and an eclectic mix of music.

fairyliquidizer
2007-01-03, 13:15
http://www.indienow.com/ although the website seams to be abandoned.

MrSinatra
2007-01-08, 17:21
www.LION-Radio.org