PDA

View Full Version : NetGear DG834v2 Set up ...HELP!

EasilyConfused
2006-12-22, 06:58
Errr...Hi again guys..Luddite alert!
I am getting nowhere trying to set up recently purchased DG834v2. I am by no means a computer expert but usually manage to set up and install most hardware and software without having to even glimpse at the instructions.... however, with this, I am completely and utterly lost! There seems to be so many variables and settings and jargon that I simply do not understand, at this moment in time, the task seems impossible.
I'll give you a few details to go off.
1. Model name on back of unit - DG834v2
2. Modem/Router/Firewall
3. Assume I'm retarded when talking acronyms etc
4. No Driver software or CD included in box. Should there have been one included?
5. Downloaded set up instructions PDF from Netgear site (but this pdf seemed to be geared towards wireless version)
6. Got as far as connecting to http://192.168.0.1 I was then presented with set up wizzard which I tried to follow but only got as far as the second page where there was an option to 'check status' - when selecting check status, a box appears with various data and tells me that connection has failed.
7.I am in the Uk and my service provider is Virgin.My phone provider is BT
8. When 'ISP address' is referred to, does this mean mine or my service providers? I have no record of, and do not know how to find out my ISP address or my service providers ISP address.
9. I have connected the DG834 to the ethernet port on my PC.
10.I have removed old speedtouch modem and connected DG834 to excisting filter.
11. I have done a hard reset on the DG834 in case any settings wre altered during my first set up attempt.
12. All the appropriate lights on the DG834 seem to work so far, in accordance with the set up instructions.
13. The ethernet cable from my PC is connected to the first ehternet port on the DG 834 nearest to the the DSL port (next to the hard reset button)
PLEASE HELP!
Many thanks.
Rob

slimpy
2006-12-22, 07:21
I have no experience with your netgear model but is there a reason you connect the netgear to your existing modem given the netgear has a modem built in?
Remove your existing modem and connect the netgear directly to your phone line.
Then turn on your PC and start over with the installation.
Following the instructions step by step is usually a good idea.
The check step probably failed because it couldn't pick up a dsl sync signal. Not surprising if there's nothing connected to the dsl port.

-s.

Ramage
2006-12-22, 07:23
The DG834 is an ADSL router and expects to be connected directly to your ADSL line not to the speed touch modem.

All the admin of the router is done through the browser interface on 192.168.0.1, and no installation disc is required. Just ignore the wireless aspects of the set-up. Google the DG834v2 for more specific set-up instruction.

You will need your Virgin log-in details which you are now using on the Speed Touch, and enter them on the DG834 under
Basic Settings -
Login
Password.

Disconnect the Speed touch, reboot and start set-up from scratch

Patrick Dixon
2006-12-22, 07:29
OK, first I think you need to disconnect the Speedtouch modem and connect the Netgear directly to the ADSL conector on the phone line filter in its place. As you have already done, the PC should be connected to the computer using the ethernet cable (anyone of the 4 ports will do). The Speedtouch modem should be placed in the bin :-)

Then in the Netgear setup ensure you have:

In Basic Settings:
Encapsulation PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Login ) Whatever Virgin have given you
Password ) (can you get find this in the Speedtouch settings?)
IP Address ) automatic
DNS ) ditto

In ADSL Settings:
Multiplexing Method VC BASED
VPI 0
VCI 38

WAN Setup:
Connect Automatically, as Required (ticked)

And hopefully that will get you going.

slimpy
2006-12-22, 08:00
The Speedtouch modem should be placed in the bin :-)

Then in the Netgear setup ensure you have:

In Basic Settings:
Encapsulation PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Login ) Whatever Virgin have given you
Password ) (can you get find this in the Speedtouch settings?)

Oh no, he gave the Speedtouch a good sledge hammer treatment before placing it in the bin. Now what?
;)
-s.

Patrick Dixon
2006-12-22, 08:03
Oh no, he gave the Speedtouch a good sledge hammer treatment before placing it in the bin. Now what?
;)
-s.

Fortunately it's USB device so the settings are still on the PC :-)

slimpy
2006-12-22, 08:13
Fortunately it's USB device so the settings are still on the PC :-)
Oh, right. Seems USB modems aren't that bad after all...

-s.

EasilyConfused
2006-12-22, 09:47
Sorry guys, for point No.10 I said I had connected to Speedtouch Modem. What I meant to say was - I have removed Speedtouch modem and connected DG834 to existing filter (not modem). I have corrected this in the original thread post. (Even I'm not daft enough to try and connect 2 modems!...honest)