PDA

View Full Version : Very slow re-scan of iTunes library

shlea
2006-12-21, 13:13
I installed Slimsever a few days ago and have an integration with iTunes.

After having done changes in iTunes I wanted the updates immediately, so I requested a manual rescan, using the option "look for any changes".

First of all, while the re-scan was in progress all my iTunes playlists were deleted, and then later rebuilt.

Secondly, it took several hours (>4) to complete (I have approx 36.000 songs in my library).

Is this normal, and is there a faster way to update the SS libtary after changes in iTunes ?

Regards,
Svein-Helge

SteveEast
2006-12-21, 14:25
Using iTunes 7.0.1 and SS 6.2.1, I find it takes about 30 minutes to re-scan my 3200 songs regardless of the type of scan. I do have artwork embedded in almost every song, I'm sure that doesn't help. The numbers would seem to roughly match yours.

XPSP2 on a 1.8GHz P4, music (mostly ALAC, some AAC, 1 MP3) on a Buffalo 1GB TeraStation (which no one could accuse of being too fast).

Steve.

shlea
2006-12-22, 01:16
Is there any other way to keep Slimserver updated with the playlists and genres from iTunes, but with a different link to the music library?

What if I give the path to the Music library directly, is it still necessary to re-scan after avery change?

Svein-Helge

SteveEast
2006-12-22, 09:47
Is there any other way to keep Slimserver updated with the playlists and genres from iTunes, but with a different link to the music library?

What if I give the path to the Music library directly, is it still necessary to re-scan after avery change?

Svein-Helge

If you supply the Music Folder path directly then you can use Browse Music Folders to drill down to the new music and, I think, it will be added to the database automatically. But I don't know how that will interact with the "Use iTunes" interface - you might end up scanning your whole library twice, one direct and once through iTunes.

Scanning direct (without Use iTunes) will keep the genres (they're part of the tags), but lose the iTunes playlists. I don't know of any way to get the playlists independently of iTunes.

Steve.

mrchrispy
2006-12-22, 11:14
I have a library of similar size that I update frequently and I've also been frustrated with the database rescan times. My (highly imperfect) solution has been to specify rescans every night and when I want to play something on the same day I added it I use the browse music folder menu to navigate to it.