PDA

View Full Version : iTunes lossless downloads?

Anthony
2006-12-21, 08:50
I remember about 6 months ago, Apple talked about making iTunes songs available for download in their lossless format. Any followup on that?

I got my wife an iPod for Christmas (her choice, not mine) and bought a few songs off iTunes that she wanted, but have decided not to get any more until I can get them losslessly (until then it's used CD's and ripping I guess).

Anyway, was there any more information on this or is this idea stalled somewhere?

Anthony

radish
2006-12-21, 09:37
I've never heard any plans for lossless iTMS downloads, if they did such a thing it might even tempt me to buy a track or two.

SteveEast
2006-12-21, 10:26
Yeah, engadget and appleinsider had speculation about it. It was all based on a change to the application that preps songs for inclusion on the music store. Apparently it had Apple Lossless support added to it. And that's about it.

Steve.

Skunk
2006-12-21, 11:19
Music Giants has .wma lossless albums for around $15. They "use Microsoft Windows Media Digital Rights Management software to make sure all the music you have is legal and protected". They also offer two versions of free DRM security upgrade$.

From the FAQ it seems they'll play on Sb though, and be burnable then rippable to FLAC. I may have to be a test subject and try downloading the Zero7 album.

$ http://musicgiants.com/faq.htm#18
(They require IE to view the storefront)

Pale Blue Ego
2006-12-21, 13:02
I would be careful about using the Music Giants service. Their software searches your system for other music files. The following is a quote by their CEO from an interview in Stereophile last year:

"Our interface can tell you how many tracks you need to complete your collection and how much money it will cost you. The neat part is that you have the ability to complete your collection without having to re-buy what you already ownóand anything that might have been, let's say, 'acquired' through the Internet at no charge, you have the ability to come clean here. If you click the 'Go' button, it's going to complete your collection in high fidelity and purchase any music that you may have beenówe'll just say that you're 'borrowing' it.

If I'm reading this correctly, if I have 10,000 mp3 files on my computer THAT WERE CREATED FROM CDs I OWN, hitting this "Go" button would automatically charge my credit card $12,900 and download DRM versions of these 10,000 tracks! And I guess there would be no recourse because according to their terms of service, "ALL SALES ARE FINAL. We will NOT issue refunds."

http://www.stereophile.com/news/051605musicgiants/

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-21, 13:08
I would be careful about using the Music Giants service. Their software searches your system for other music files. The following is a quote by their CEO from an interview in Stereophile last year:

"Our interface can tell you how many tracks you need to complete your collection and how much money it will cost you. The neat part is that you have the ability to complete your collection without having to re-buy what you already own—and anything that might have been, let's say, 'acquired' through the Internet at no charge, you have the ability to come clean here. If you click the 'Go' button, it's going to complete your collection in high fidelity and purchase any music that you may have been—we'll just say that you're 'borrowing' it.

If I'm reading this correctly, if I have 10,000 mp3 files on my computer THAT WERE CREATED FROM CDs I OWN, hitting this "Go" button would automatically charge my credit card $12,900 and download DRM versions of these 10,000 tracks! And I guess there would be no recourse because according to their terms of service, "ALL SALES ARE FINAL. We will NOT issue refunds."

http://www.stereophile.com/news/051605musicgiants/

I remember hearing about that here and my jaw dropped.

I believe they have quietly abandoned this policy. It used to be on their FAQ (I remember the wording they used - "we'll say you were 'borrowing' these tracks") but now it's nowhere to be found.

But talk about pushy software!

Skunk
2006-12-21, 13:17
Yikes, thanks for the warning.

lemmy999
2006-12-31, 15:54
I just don't understand why people want to download music. Usually for less than $15 you can get a CD that you can rip to lossles, there is no DRM, and you have liner notes if you want to read them. If not, you can just throw away the CD if you want and be better off because there is no DRM associated with the music. I will only be interested in downloading if lossless is offered for significantly less than I can buy the CD (like maybe $7-$8 for a complete CD) or if it is of higher quality than CD (like 24/96).

stinkingpig
2007-01-01, 09:50
On 12/31/06, lemmy999
<lemmy999.2jpcpo1167605702 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I just don't understand why people want to download music. Usually for
> less than $15 you can get a CD that you can rip to lossles, there is no
> DRM, and you have liner notes if you want to read them. If not, you can
> just throw away the CD if you want and be better off because there is no
> DRM associated with the music. I will only be interested in downloading
> if lossless is offered for significantly less than I can buy the CD
> (like maybe $7-$8 for a complete CD) or if it is of higher quality than
> CD (like 24/96).
>

I don't download DRM tracks, I can't hear the difference between a
good MP3 on SB3 and FLAC on Transporter, and CDs have to be taken to
the used record store after I rip them. I do spend a significant
amount of money with emusic.com because of these factors.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

lemmy999
2007-01-04, 12:03
But don't you agree that online music should be much much cheaper than what it is? Particularly full albums? $10 for an album and you get lossy compression, no artwork, and nothing that you can legally sell later. I can buy most CDs online for $8-$13 delivered to my house and then if I don't want to keep them around, just throw them in the garbage, but I do have the option of selling it or keeping it if I want to. FWIW I can't tell the difference between good MP3 and lossless either, but it is the principal of the matter with me.

vain4
2007-01-04, 13:03
I can buy most CDs online for $8-$13 delivered to my house

you can get most CD's here for $5.99 delivered

www.yourmusic.com

jonheal
2007-01-04, 13:17
you can get most CD's here for $5.99 delivered

www.yourmusic.com

How do they do it? No one's sold new CDs for anywhere near that price.

jonheal
2007-01-04, 15:12
I see Columbia House owns the domain. I wonder if they've gotten any better at actually sending you what you order. When I joined the record club back in my college days, I think about 30% of my orders were mis-filled.

And of course, I had a heck of a time quitting.

But $6.99 a CD ....

(Although their selection looks a bit limited.)