PDA

View Full Version : Network Options...

jhouserizer
2006-12-20, 13:09
I've got a squeezebox and an original slimP3... both setup for *wired* ethernet.

I just moved into a new home, that has no cat5, so I'm going to have to go 100% wireless.

What are my cheapest options for getting these puppies going?

Is there a module I can buy to turn my wired squeezebox into a wireless one?

Is there some other "wireless to ethernet bridge" option someone can point me to that is cheaper than these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BNDEZY
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008WMBT

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-20, 13:18
Cheaper isn't necessarily better, especially when it comes to complicated things like wireless networking. Though those options both look good.

You may want to examine HomePlug, the technology that uses your power lines as networking pathways. It's hard to get and expensive in North America but seems quite popular in Europe. Seeing as you linked to Amazon.com I would assume you're in the U.S. - HomePlug may be more expensive and there won't be as wide a variety but it's often higher-bandwidth than wireless and more stable.

Jeff52
2006-12-20, 14:09
I agree with Mark, you might want to investigate a powerline/homeplug solution. I'm using a pair of Netgear XE103 homeplugs to connect to one of my SB3's which had a problem maintaining a solid wireless connection in my basement. Although not cheap, depending upon the location it may be less expensive than running CAT-5 cable.

Ben Sandee
2006-12-20, 14:31
On 12/20/06, jhouserizer <
jhouserizer.2j4rqn1166645401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> I've got a squeezebox and an original slimP3... both setup for *wired*
> ethernet.
>
> I just moved into a new home, that has no cat5, so I'm going to have to
> go 100% wireless.
>
> What are my cheapest options for getting these puppies going?

The SliMP3 has a pretty small buffer -- a short wireless blip and you will
get a dropout. The SB is about twice as much buffer. The SB2+ has a
massive buffer, relatively speaking, which makes it excel at robust wireless
use. Fot the specifics of each player see:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

Your tolerance for dropouts may influence your choices here because the
powerline adapters would seem to be more robust than current wireless tech.

Ben

bergek
2006-12-20, 16:02
I don't know about the Buffalo but I would stay clear of the Linksys. According to the specification it only supports WEP which Linksys might as well have left out instead of making people falsely believe that they are secure.

Homeplug seems like a good option but I guess you will never know how they or Wi-Fi will behave in your environment until you actually try them.

I am using a Netgear GGPS606 802.11g bridge and get 0% packet loss over hours of testing. According to test reports on homeplug equipment the latency of Wi-Fi is siginificantly less than for Homeplug (I see latencies below 3ms on my network).

Just make sure that you secure the network - whichever way you go.

Does anyone know of tests of low-frequency interference from Homeplugs? I assume one would like as little interference as possible on the power cords to the audio equipment.

4mula1
2006-12-21, 05:36
I don't know about the Buffalo but I would stay clear of the Linksys. According to the specification it only supports WEP which Linksys might as well have left out instead of making people falsely believe that they are secure.

According to the Linksys website it supports WPA.

sc53
2006-12-21, 08:14
Yes Linksys supports WPA, I'm using it on my router.