PDA

View Full Version : Does SB play tracks ordered by alphabetically file name or by tag track number?

DennyL
2006-12-19, 10:07
I went through this with my iRiver player and found that the tag track numbers are redundant, as it plays tracks alphabetically by file name, requiring track number digits on the file name to conserver the track order when playing. Maybe I did the test with the wrong tag versions, who knows?

If the SB plays tracks ordered by tag track number, what does it do if the tag track number isn't present?

radish
2006-12-19, 10:30
If the tags are there, it uses them. If they're not, it tries to guess the tag values by parsing the filename. If that still doesn't yield anything, it becomes alphabetical (by track title I think, assuming it has a value for that).

snarlydwarf
2006-12-19, 10:37
And if using Browse Music Folder, it ignores tags (it just shows you the contents of the directory in alpha-sorted order), so if you use that to navigate around a lot, it is useful to name things with track number starting the filename. (You can get around that pretty easily by going Right on a filename, and it will show you the tags.. then go down a couple to Album name and then it will be back to using tags to navigate.)

But, yeah, if you play an album, it knows to follow the tags and even knows about TPOS and DISCNUMBER tags for multi-disc works.

DennyL
2006-12-20, 02:19
Ah, very interesting, SnarlyDwarf, thank you for that. I'm a SB newby and I didn't know about the existence of disknumber tags, and I'll have to go off and find out what TPOS means. Is there something fundamental I'm not understanding about tags? Are they a 'blank sheet' where one can define any field names, or are there pre-defined fields? I note that MP3Tag has a predefined list of variable names (such as %artist%), but I see nothing like %disknumber% there.

Any explanations gratefully received.

JJZolx
2006-12-20, 02:56
I went through this with my iRiver player and found that the tag track numbers are redundant, as it plays tracks alphabetically by file name, requiring track number digits on the file name to conserver the track order when playing. Maybe I did the test with the wrong tag versions, who knows?

If the SB plays tracks ordered by tag track number, what does it do if the tag track number isn't present?
I believe SlimServer sorts by discnumber/tracknumber/title.

So it probably treats missing track numbers as 0, so that these tracks are ordered only by the track title. The actual filename (and any embedded track number in the filename) won't play any part in the ordering. My guess is that they'd be listed before any tracks with a track number, but it could just as easily be that they'd come afterwards.

DennyL
2006-12-20, 03:54
Thank you, JJZolx.

I still haven't seen a disknumber tag (with 'c' or 'k'). I have noticed that some people encode the disknumber in the tracknumber with, for example, a third digit.

4mula1
2006-12-20, 05:00
In MP3tag look in the extended tags dialog for the discnumber tag.

radish
2006-12-20, 07:20
Is there something fundamental I'm not understanding about tags? Are they a 'blank sheet' where one can define any field names, or are there pre-defined fields?

Different tag schemes are different in this respect. ID3 (used in MP3 files) has an (essentially) predefined list of possible tags, and you're restricted to that list (or more accurately the subset of that list which your tagger supports). Vorbis tags on the other hand (used in FLAC & Vorbis files) are entirely freeform - you can put whatever you want in there. Of course, there's usually little point adding tags which the applications you use don't understand, so there's still the concept of an "approved" list.

This wiki page: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServerSupportedTags lists the majority of the tags that Slimserver understands.