PDA

View Full Version : How long have FAQs been unavailable?

Brian_King
2006-12-19, 07:39
I'm anxious to get my squeezebox working... but clearly I have a firewall problem. I think it's my D-LINK DI-624 router that I need to tweak, but can't get the settings right.

Spoke to tech support yesterday, who told me that it's part of the FAQs that were supposed to be back up last night. Not so.

These are web pages, not rocket science. Couldn't tech support simply move the FAQs onto the Wiki, which seems to work?

In the meantime if someone from Tech Support could send me the router firewall settings that would be appreciated.

Brian

slimpy
2006-12-19, 08:09
Instead of ranting over tech support you could describe your problem or search the forum. Router/firewall problems are frequent.
I'm pretty sure your problem came up before and a solution was provided.
A router isn't rocket science, either!

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

-s.

DrNic
2006-12-19, 08:49
Instead of ranting over tech support you could describe your problem or search the forum. Router/firewall problems are frequent.
I'm pretty sure your problem came up before and a solution was provided.
A router isn't rocket science, either!

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

-s.

Slimpy
although the tone of the OP's post might not be to your liking - his point is entirely valid. He has at least tried to "help himself" by using the FAQ (something that is often thrown at the newbie as a form of dressing down), but this has been broken for too many days now.
I say this as I tried to help my father out from afar - setting up his first SB, he has heard of a FAQ (just!) but a WIKI to him sounded kinda of dangerous...!!

Nic

Mark Miksis
2006-12-19, 09:15
The old FAQ is still available at http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html

andyg
2006-12-19, 09:33
Not sure what happened to the FAQ, but you can still use it by simply replacing %60 in the URL with ? on any broken pages. We'll get it fixed ASAP.

shabbs
2006-12-19, 09:46
Instead of ranting over tech support you could describe your problem or search the forum.
And we all know how well the Search option is working in the forum. ;) I just searched for "router problem" and got a blank page.

Yes, I know you can use Google to search the forum externally but not all users will know to try this. For newbies who actually try to help themselves like Brian_King did, hitting the FAQ and using Search are the first two logical steps. If those are not working, they're pretty much left to browse all the posts to find their answer (which could take a LONG time) or post their own question.

I'd say his tone was a little frustrated.

Cheers.

kdf
2006-12-19, 09:58
On 19-Dec-06, at 8:46 AM, shabbs wrote:
>
> I'd say his tone was a little frustrated.
>
so? so is slimpy's. I'd say understandably as well. first post and
already insulting. it happens all too often, and certainly is
frustrating. works for one, works for all.

"senior member" implies no obligation to simply serve with no place for
an opinion or reaction to what could have been presented as a simple
question (without the rocket science insult)
-kdf

slimpy
2006-12-19, 10:27
And we all know how well the Search option is working in the forum. ;) I just searched for "router problem" and got a blank page.

Yes, I know you can use Google to search the forum externally but not all users will know to try this. For newbies who actually try to help themselves like Brian_King did, hitting the FAQ and using Search are the first two logical steps. If those are not working, they're pretty much left to browse all the posts to find their answer (which could take a LONG time) or post their own question.

I'd say his tone was a little frustrated.

Cheers.
It's not particularly the tone of the post that upsets me. (ok, probably the phrase "if someone from Tech Support could send me the router firewall settings" pushed me over the edge)
I wouldn't have said anything had he actually described his problem. He didn't seek any help from the forum/community.
Instead he used the forum as another means of contacting slimdevices. Even if slimdevices employees post here often this is not the place to get in touch with tech support.

kdf may be right, and the rocket science insult wasn't really necessary but I just couldn't resist.

-s.

shabbs
2006-12-19, 11:37
so? so is slimpy's. I'd say understandably as well. first post and already insulting. it happens all too often, and certainly is frustrating. works for one, works for all.
kdf, I totally agree. We've seen too many users who come in with their first post with guns a blazing and accusations or poor workmanship etc... I was just trying to differentiate between this one and those where they've done absolutely no research at all to start. I thought it was a reasonable difference.

"senior member" implies no obligation to simply serve with no place for an opinion or reaction to what could have been presented as a simple question (without the rocket science insult)
-kdf
Heh heh.

adamslim
2006-12-19, 14:00
The web pages were down. The guy calls support, and they send him to the web page. For my 200 new toy that's not working, I'd be annoyed. Yes they now work, but they didn't yesterday.

(I looked then too, and considered posting here, but I sussed out to shove a '?' in there as Andy states.)

I don't find Brian's tone unreasonable. If you do, just ignore him (especially if you're not going to help!!!)

Anyway, problem fixed :)

mherger
2006-12-19, 14:17
> The web pages were down. The guy calls support, and they send him to
> the web page.

Did anybody tell them the site was down?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR