PDA

View Full Version : Flip display for kitchen installation

byKnight
2006-12-19, 07:38
I want to install an SB3 under a kitchen cabinet. To keep it as unobtrusive as possible, I'd like to mount it upside-down, which would allow me to hide about 1.25 inches of the total height of the unit in the recess at the bottom of the cabinet.

I've found this older thread involving an SB2.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15633&highlight=%22flip+display%22

This sounds like a perfect solution for software, but I'm not aware of an existing cabability (and I don't know if such functionality would need to be in the firmware or could be implemented in SlimServer).

So, have I overlooked an existing software solution for this? And if I haven't, is the display in the SB3 connected in such a way that would allow me to turn it over without the use of a soldering iron?

Patrick Dixon
2006-12-19, 09:22
And if I haven't, is the display in the SB3 connected in such a way that would allow me to turn it over without the use of a soldering iron?
You'd definitely need a soldering iron, and even then it wouldn't be very easy.

coldslabs
2006-12-19, 09:45
Here is a thread about mounting a SB2 upside down:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15633

stinkingpig
2006-12-19, 10:10
On 12/19/06, coldslabs
<coldslabs.2j2ntb1166547001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Here is a thread about mounting a SB2 upside down:
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15633

probably best off to buy a used sb2 from ebay.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

byKnight
2006-12-19, 10:11
Here is a thread about mounting a SB2 upside down:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15633

Thanks, but that's the thread I already linked to above. And I'm working with an SB3, not an SB2. For what I'm trying to accomplish, the two are very different.

You'd definitely need a soldering iron, and even then it wouldn't be very easy.
So is it possible I could develop a plug-in that would flip the addressing of the display? Or does display addressing reside soley in the firmware?

coldslabs
2006-12-19, 11:08
Thanks, but that's the thread I already linked to above. And I'm working with an SB3, not an SB2. For what I'm trying to accomplish, the two are very different.

Oops.

Note to self: Read the relevant post completely. :)

CatBus
2006-12-19, 11:12
I'd second this request--either this or a hardware "ceiling/wall mount kit" that tilts the SB3 down the same amount as it normally tilts up (or even better, an adjustable amount).

Sure, I could throw something of dubious quality together with a trip to the hardware store, but there seem to be enough people who want to do this to make it worth a request to SlimDevices.

Check out the "photos of your Transporter setup" thread--someone made a (really nice looking!) ceiling mount for his SB3 for his bathroom.

byKnight
2006-12-19, 12:08
Check out the "photos of your Transporter setup" thread--someone made a (really nice looking!) ceiling mount for his SB3 for his bathroom.

Yeah, I saw that. But if I'm working in the kitchen, I don't feel like looking up (way up) to see the SqueezeBox. I'd rather put it near eye-level, much like a under-the-cabinet clock radio.

It will be easy enough to run the requisite cables through the cabinets. A T-Amp and speakers (angled down a bit) will sit on top of the cabinets.

CatBus
2006-12-19, 12:26
Trust me, I know EXACTLY what you're trying to do. Because I'm trying to do it too. Except I'm going a slightly more lo-fi route using a Tivoli iPAL.

JJZolx
2006-12-19, 12:58
There's already an enhancement request to do this in software, but it doesn't look like it's gotten any attention.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3994

I don't think there's any way to physically rotate the SB3 display. As someone else suggested, an SB2 is much better suited to this type of installation, not only because the display can be flipped over, but because of the case's squat form factor. It's probably worth finding one on eBay or somewhere else.

byKnight
2006-12-19, 13:28
There's already an enhancement request to do this in software, but it doesn't look like it's gotten any attention.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3994

Thanks. I added my vote.

I don't think there's any way to physically rotate the SB3 display.
Even if it could be done, I'd *much* rather be able to tick off a checkbox in the player settings that causes the display to display upside-down.

As someone else suggested, an SB2 is much better suited to this type of installation, not only because the display can be flipped over, but because of the case's squat form factor. It's probably worth finding one on eBay or somewhere else.
I agree the SB2 form factor is friendlier to my plans. But I already have an SB3.

byKnight
2006-12-19, 14:01
Well I'm poking around the SlimServer source for the first time. A cursory look suggests maybe I could modify the render routine in Graphics.pm to do a simple transformation of the screen bitmap so that it's upside-down before sending it to the player.

Can anybody tell me if I'm in the neighborhood? Or am I stumbling aimlessly?

I know almost nothing about the plug-in interface or even how to build SlimServer from the source.

Triode
2006-12-19, 14:11
Given the number of people who want to do this, I'd suggest a hardware mod to a SB2 is the easiest...

If you want to change in the server software the complete solution would need to
1) build new font files with all the fonts reversed
2) change Slim::Display::Graphics::render to pad the different display components so they appear the right way round and reverse the strings.
3) change the direction of menu transitions (easy change the names in Display::Squeezebox2.pm)

If your server has enough performance, something which takes the output of render and flips it may be easier, but you need to reverse the bit order and the order of each column which will be relatively expensive per render. Menu transitions and scrolling text will be messed up though...

JJZolx
2006-12-19, 15:07
Given the number of people who want to do this, I'd suggest a hardware mod to a SB2 is the easiest...
Given the number of people who still prefer the form factor of the SB2, I'd suggest Slim Devices begin selling them once again. I would think a limited production run of SB2s might appease a fair number of people looking for both the form factor and the more mod-friendly design.

If you want to change in the server software the complete solution would need to
1) build new font files with all the fonts reversed
2) change Slim::Display::Graphics::render to pad the different display components so they appear the right way round and reverse the strings.
3) change the direction of menu transitions (easy change the names in Display::Squeezebox2.pm)

Not quite complete, as any text and transitions rendered by the firmware would still be upside down. Going through the setup would be a challenge.

I wonder if doing this in software at the Squeezebox would be viable on SB2 and later generation products. Beside the setup issues, it would also save anyone from having to render two sets of fonts.

byKnight
2006-12-20, 06:55
I wonder if doing this in software at the Squeezebox would be viable on SB2 and later generation products. Beside the setup issues, it would also save anyone from having to render two sets of fonts.

I agree.

I don't know anything about the SB firmware, but based on what I can infer about its function, my first idea was that a small firmware change could be made that remaps the way the display hardware is addressed. For example, if the display is m pixels wide and n pixels high, pixel (0,0) maps to (m,n), (1,0) maps to (m-1,n), etc.

But since we don't have access to the firmware, I can only fiddle with the SlimServer code.

But for something as straightforward as making the display work upside-down, a firmware option seems like the most efficient option.